• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology - Are you a believer?

Do you believe in astrology?

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 137 77.8%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Money.

I don't have the qualifications for any job I would actually enjoy enough to commit to, I don't have the guts or the drive to be an entrepreneur, and the jobs I can get don't pay enough for my basic goal of independence: living alone + paying my own tuition.

I think I may venture a correction here. It's not so much about the money in itself, but about the lack of it causing you to feel beholden to and dependent on others in any way, perhaps?

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
I think I may venture a correction here. It's not so much about the money in itself, but about the lack of it causing you to feel beholden to and dependent on others in any way, perhaps?

Not exactly... I mean, yes, but it's also about control. Moreso, even.

For example, I'm celiac and trying to pursue other healthy eating habits, but I have the option of relying on what other people put in the fridge, and am even coerced to partake in family meals. At first I was resistant and tried to buy all my own groceries, but as my bank account dwindled and I lost track of which food was whose I've changed positions on this.

Tuition... if I can't afford it, something will work out... but it serves as a threshold value below which earned money does not contribute to independence. So there's an additional cage there.

In fact, most of my problems - acne, food issues, the stress of living with other people who think they know what's good for you... could be solved with a very modest full-time wage, or a decent part-time one. But then, working full-time while attending classes is bound to be disastrous for my grades (and sleeping schedule.) So I have to save and wait. And that means no security, which (apparently) means no motivation.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So, how about astrology used in a similar way to how many use tarot? That is, as a random anchor from which to explore one's own personality and situation. In tarot, one can supposedly get a fresh angle to start the exploration from each time the cards are drawn.

Maybe that's the appeal.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't believe there is a comprehensible connection (if one, at all) between when I was born and the position of stars and planets with my personality and/or how days/events of my life will play out.

I see it as extremely difficult to substantiate, but that's kinda just my bias =P. I will take a further look at the topic some more.

Windigo

Uhh, okay.

Anyways, I think most people are misunderstanding astrology, thinking it's just the 'Sun in 12 signs' and having only 12 possibilities of interpretation.

Do you think it is better if we have some samples of people and intepretations of their chart?

Then we know how accurate/PROOF that astrology MIGHT be true.

Not trying to convert anyone or anything ;) into astrology.

I just thought maybe some of the 'REALLY against' astrology people should have their chart as a test, if they're willing to..

Ming, that is what I tried to do on my last post, and it was 60% inaccurate and 20% of the stuff you could say was accurate was very general, however I'm not going to pay $14.95 for something I don't believe in to get a more accurate chart so, I suppose I'm at a standstill.

On the other hand, I will say that I have only ever been serious with guys who were Air signs like me (I usually found out later when their birthdays were). So I would say from my experience that is a rather strange coincidence.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
So, how about astrology used in a similar way to how many use tarot? That is, as a random anchor from which to explore one's own personality and situation. In tarot, one can supposedly get a fresh angle to start the exploration from each time the cards are drawn.

Maybe that's the appeal.

I would tend to agree with this.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

Maybe that's the appeal.

There are three kinds of truth: representational, internally consistent, and pragmatic.

I do not believe in or not believe in the representational truth of astrology. I am simply open-minded to it.

Having studied astrology, I have found it to be surprisingly internally consistent. One could set up a straw man against, but then one is just setting up a straw man. If you try to argue against the very strongest argument in favor of astrology, it's really not easy to invalidate it.

I do, however, believe in its pragmatic truth.

That is what you are pointing to here.

And it is a respectable point.

Last edited:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
There are three kinds of truth: representational, internally consistent, and pragmatic.

I do not believe in or not believe in the representational truth of astrology. I am simply open-minded to it.

Having studied astrology, I have found it to be surprisingly internally consistent. One could set up a straw man against, but then one is just setting up a straw man. If you try to argue against the very strongest argument in favor of astrology, it's really not easy to invalidate it.

I do, however, believe in its pragmatic truth.

That is what you are pointing to here.

And it is a very point.

Nicely said - and I have to agree with you:hug:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And I always thought a natal chart was something to do with pregnancy.

It's how Being was pregnant with you.

The time surrounding a type is extremely meaningful to its behavior as well.

As are the current positions of the planets.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Not sure whether you've read the beginning of the thread.

Ns were vehemently arguing against astrology.

Faithfully, even... One might say...

Even N doms...

:jew:

Weber

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Ns were vehemently arguing against astrology.

Faithfully, even... One might say...

Even N doms...

:jew:

Oh, what a clever turnaround! Yes, we will now accept these medieval mysticist superstitions because of your rhetorics and because two hawt chicks guessed your sign.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Btw, to the smart guy with 31 posts: watch who the fuck you're playing with.

There's fire here.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Maybe that's the appeal.

As someone who has been known to read people's cards for them as a hobby, I'd have to say that a good tarot reader is reading their victim/customer as opposed to really reading the cards... the cards are kind of like a rorschach patterns in a way :)

a skilled reading of someone's chart generally appears to work the same way :laugh:

Within

Permabanned
Very sensitive to your surroundings, other people's feelings become your feelings. Try to avoid negative people because your tendency to empathize with them will make you negative also. An idealist, you must believe in something beyond your normal everyday existence. A dreamer, you like to escape to a world of your own creation. As such, you are known for the vividness of your imagination and should try to share your inner visions with others. Very self-sacrificial by nature, beware of others becoming overly dependent on you or vice versa. Allow yourself to live for yourself once in a while -- you deserve it. Don't be so envious of those who are more aggressive than you -- your gentle charity and true humility are indeed wonderful gifts.

I am living proof that astrology is just a load of superstition.