• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology - Are you a believer?

Do you believe in astrology?

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 137 77.8%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I've just tried a free sample on Astrology.com .. Although i'll take it with a pinch of salt .. It was interesting.

Sun in Aries:

The truth that each of us is essentially alone and that we must ultimately answer to ourselves regarding our choices in life is one that resonates deeply within you. Thus, sarah, your first loyalty is to yourself and to living your own life as authentically as possible. When you are most yourself, you are a risk taker, a trailblazer, forging your own path rather than following anyone else's lead. Whether or not you have the courage to do so, to boldly assert yourself and follow your own star - standing alone when necessary - is crucial to fulfilling your life purpose.

There are many ways, both positive and negative, you could choose to express this core sense of singleness and this need to be an original or a pioneer. You may, for instance, simply choose to remain single. Your independence, autonomy, and freedom are very important to you, and at heart you really do not want to be distracted from your purposes or encumbered by the responsibilities and complications that accompany close, ongoing partnership with others. You are by nature a solo. This does not necessarily mean that you will avoid intimate relationships or commitments, but there must be some arena in you life where you are the chief, where you take initiative and make the decisions. Being a sole proprietor of an upstart business enterprise, free lancing, supporting yourself with as little external input as possible - they are all possible expressions of your inner drive to live life on your own terms, by your own inner creativity and dictates. If you do not feel you are your own boss, sarah, you simply will not be happy. Your lifestyle and work must reflect your strong impulses to be self-reliant as well as to create something NEW, in order for you to be in harmony.

Hmmmm :yes:

Windigo

The oldest form of typology began with oriental astrologers.
Carl Jung used astrology.

"Astrology represents the summation of all the psychological knowledge of antiquity." C.G. Jung

"My evenings are taken up very largely with astrology. I make horoscopic calculations in order to find a clue to the psychological truth." - C.G. Jung
(In a letter to Sigmund Freud)

"One can expect with considerable assurance, that a given well-defined psychological situation will be accompanied by an analogous astrological configuration." - C.G. Jung

I still think it's interesting that Jung's theories are passed forth as science, and yet Jung himself claimed to receive his inspiration from a "spirit guide."

Windigo

You appear gentle and soft, and you act rather reserved with others until you know them well and feel it is safe to be open with them. (Definitely not! LOL!) You have a strong need for emotional security and a sense of belonging (Who doesn't?), and are deeply attached to the past: your heritage, roots, family, cherished friends, familiar places, etc. (Definitely) Making radical changes or moves away from what is known and safe can be very painful and difficult for you. (NO WAY! I love to move and explore and move outside my comfort zone!!) You tend to cling and hold on to people, memories, possessions of personal or sentimental significance. (Not really) Having a home, a safe haven, is very important to you (Okay, but again having a home isn't important to everyone?) Find out more with your full-length reading...
Section 2: The Inner You: Your Real Motivation
You are, in many ways, an eternal child. [B[(Not really--I don't like to play really, unless it's competitive and strategy)[/B] Your mind is bright, alert, curious, flexible, playful, and always eager for new experiences (yes)- and your attention span is often quite brief (NO! I annoy people with how long I can focus on things!) . You grasp ideas quickly and once your initial curiosity has been satisfied, you want to go on to something else. (No, I can beat a dead horse when it comes to learning! I drive everyone around me insane with the depth of knowledge I crave and constantly want to share with them) You crave frequent change, variety, meeting new situations and people. (Frequent is too big of a word! I get bored if I haven't gone and done something new in say 3 months and I like to talk to strangers but I also can stay at home and work really hard for months at a time.)

I would say 6:4 is pretty bad accuracy . . . .

Mole

Permabanned
The Guide

I still think it's interesting that Carl Jung's theories are passed forth as science, and yet Jung himself claimed to receive his inspiration from a "spirit guide."

Astrology is very important on this site, for it brings into disrepute its twin, MBTI.

For as well as writing, "Personality Types", Carl was also an astrologer as well as an ardent follower of the Führer.

Führer means, "guide", in German. And Carl openly admits that, "Personality Types", is based on no empirical evidence, rather it was inspired by a 'guide'.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Astrology is very important on this site, for it brings into disrepute its twin, MBTI.

And as well as writing, "Personality Types", Carl was also an astrologer as well as an ardent follower of the Führer.

Führer means, "guide", in German. And Carl openly admits that, "Personality Types", is based on no empirical evidence, rather it was inspired by a 'guide'.

I was once informed that crack cocaine was damaging to the mind. Be careful.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
^^ Victor, weak association fallacies involving Nazism, other than being poor, bottom of the barrel-scraping argument, are simply boring.

Oh, and yet again, could you please stop trying to derail the thread with your provocative comments? Some people actually wish to have a conversation on here that's relevant to the topic. You're not displaying much respect for others by continuing with this behaviour after being asked not to. Thanks :smile:

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
I think of Victor as a decoration. Like an expensive abstract painting made from the blood of the creator on a canvas of his own dead skin cells, painstakingly harvested and compressed into a thin layer of semitranslucent material. And it sits there against the wall, looming, ominous, occasionally inspiring some new foreboding thought that somehow doesn't drive you insane, but all your visitors gradually become more and more psychotic for every hour they spend in your home...

Mole

Permabanned
I think of Victor as a decoration. Like an expensive abstract painting made from the blood of the creator on a canvas of his own dead skin cells, painstakingly harvested and compressed into a thin layer of semitranslucent material. And it sits there against the wall, looming, ominous, occasionally inspiring some new foreboding thought that somehow doesn't drive you insane, but all your visitors gradually become more and more psychotic for every hour they spend in your home...

Yes, it is called cognitive dissonance and is a sign learning is taking place.

Mole

Permabanned
For certain unconventional (but scientific) definitions of 'learning', absolutely.

Yes, cognitive dissonance is not part of learning in primary and secondary school. But in tertiary education, cognitive dissonance comes into its own.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
I was once informed that crack cocaine was damaging to the mind. Be careful.
Uhh, okay.

Anyways, I think most people are misunderstanding astrology, thinking it's just the 'Sun in 12 signs' and having only 12 possibilities of interpretation.

Do you think it is better if we have some samples of people and intepretations of their chart?

Then we know how accurate/PROOF that astrology MIGHT be true.

Not trying to convert anyone or anything ;) into astrology.

I just thought maybe some of the 'REALLY against' astrology people should have their chart as a test, if they're willing to..

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I just thought maybe some of the 'REALLY against' astrology people should have their chart as a test, if they're willing to..

I'm volunteering!
Thing is, I am a scientist and for me I see no reason why some rocks and stars totally out of my reach should take influence in my personality.
But I'm also totally curious and for the last 4 days have read A LOT about this topic, the meaning of the houses, aspects, planets, signs and whatnot.

And to my surprise those descriptions summed me up better than any enneagram, freud or mbti ever did.

So for the sake of science, let's take apart my chart and I'll answer questions from my life and how it is related to the chart.

What do you say?

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
^ Your chart? (Sorry, I wanted to do an interpretation for you, but the chart you send me didn't open up :shock:)

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ Your chart?

here you go

horo.gif

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
There is no midpoint. It goes straight from one to the other, then back again when the whim strikes.
+1 for astrology then ;) This combination actually predicts rather closely the see-sawing nature of the dichotomy between two fairly opposite characteristics, and the lack of middle ground between them. Between self identity and energy, operating in essentially different directions, you have your emotions mediating in the form of Moon in Leo:

As a "rule of thumb," Leo is compatible with the other fire signs ... Aries and Sagittarius. Leo is compatible also with the air signs of Libra and Gemini. If you have your Sun in one of these signs, you have natural help and support available between two of the essential elements of your character.

Leo is less compatible with the signs of Taurus and Scorpio, because these signs clash with one another's natural style. If you have the Sun in one of these signs, you have built-in frustrations ... and conflicting priorities between your emotions and your self-identity.

What this implies for me is that your ego-drive is somewhat weakened by the fact that your emotions are aligned against it and with your visceral energy. This intensifies the nature of the conflict between influences that already have little in common and are pulling in essentially opposite directions, and leaves little room for compromise between them. With the moon in a positon more compatible with the sun sign like Taurus itself, Virgo, Capricorn, maybe even Scorpio, the ego would be stronger, more able to focus on its own goals without hinderance, and less prone to being pulled abruptly in the opposite direction by the restless and easily dissatisfied energy of the Mars position.

Anyway, to get back to Tinkerbell's analysis of myself!

Uranus Mars - possibly into some fairly kinky sex, maybe with strangers did you say it was in Scorp?

Venus in scorp has a very strong tendancy towards fixation and semi stalking behaviours - you may get deep crushes on people. Venus Uranus, likely to be comfortable in unconventional set ups, like threesomes etc.... or poligomy or something along those lines.

Lol, this isn't really me. Well, I might THINK about it, but I really don't believe I'd want to do it... alright, maybe polygamy if I had a good religious excuse :devil: I don't at all like the idea of sharing, however; I'm far too jealous for that to ever work. It would go against my deeply held personal principles too.

Venus mars in Sorp - ITCHYWAWA! Hot hot hot.... seduction meets oober sexy - very seductive.

Haha! I wish!

For all the Scorp could lead you to be sluttish I don't see Scorp in that way, I see it's intense loyalty and so long as people are straight with you - total manogomy, and commitment even when someone isn't able to be around.
This definitely fits me rather well. Unfortunately it's led me to be involved in several serious long distance relationships, which I ended up doing most of the work maintaining, only to be let down in the end by people whose committment and investment of time and energy wasn't at quite the same level as my own. The frequent (and as it turned out in the end, correct) suspicion that my own efforts and committment weren't being fully reciprocated, and consequent resentment and tendency to push harder for signs that they were going to be serious themselves didn't help matters.

You may be seriously attracted to really out there people though
Unfortunately, this seems to be very much the case :blush: :doh:

I think I could do without this last tendency... but I haven't yet managed to escape it.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
+1 for astrology then ;) This combination actually predicts rather closely the see-sawing nature of the dichotomy between two fairly opposite characteristics, and the lack of middle ground between them. Between self identity and energy, operating in essentially different directions, you have your emotions mediating in the form of Moon in Leo:
What this implies for me is that your ego-drive is somewhat weakened by the fact that your emotions are aligned against it and with your visceral energy. This intensifies the nature of the conflict between influences that already have little in common and are pulling in essentially opposite directions, and leaves little room for compromise between them. With the moon in a positon more compatible with the sun sign like Taurus itself, Virgo, Capricorn, maybe even Scorpio, the ego would be stronger, more able to focus on its own goals without hinderance, and less prone to being pulled abruptly in the opposite direction by the restless and easily dissatisfied energy of the Mars position.
Ok.. :huh: So how do I go about either fixing this or using it to my advantage?

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
Ok.. :huh: So how do I go about either fixing this or using it to my advantage?

Wow... ask me an easy one, why don't you!

Let's think :thinking: Here's the first potential plan of action that occurs to me:

Try to determine and set yourself goals into which you can project an expectation of enhanced emotional security and fulfilment if they are achieved. Whether these goals are short or long-term, this would help to align your emotional moon energy with your actions and gain the motivation to work more steadily towards them until they are actually fulfilled.

If you are prone to doubts about the value of what you're doing, it will be easy to lose interest, give up and direct your energy towards something esle. This may also help to create a sense of futility when a lot of work has gone into whatever it was already, sowing the seeds of future self-doubt and discouragement.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
Wow... ask me an easy one, why don't you!

Let's think :thinking: Here's the first potential plan of action that occurs to me:

Try to determine and set yourself goals into which you can project an expectation of enhanced emotional security and fulfilment if they are achieved. Whether these goals are short or long-term, this would help to align your emotional moon energy with your actions and gain the motivation to work more steadily towards them until they are actually fulfilled.

If you are prone to doubts about the value of what you're doing, it will be easy to lose interest, give up and direct your energy towards something esle. This may also help to create a sense of futility when a lot of work has gone into whatever it was already, sowing the seeds of future self-doubt and discouragement.
That's the rut I'm already in. Fulfillment doesn't cut it anymore!

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
That's the rut I'm already in. Fulfillment doesn't cut it anymore!

Well, at least that implies that either astrology, or myself using it as a model for understanding, isn't getting it completely wrong! :devil:

Let's start from first principles though. Do you know what you would need to feel secure? Or perhaps if that doesn't work the converse question might help: what causes you to feel INsecure?

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
Well, at least that implies that either astrology, or myself using it as a model for understanding, isn't getting it completely wrong! :devil:

Let's start from first principles though. Do you know what you would need to feel secure? Or perhaps if that doesn't work the converse question might help: what causes you to feel INsecure?
Money.

I don't have the qualifications for any job I would actually enjoy enough to commit to, I don't have the guts or the drive to be an entrepreneur, and the jobs I can get don't pay enough for my basic goal of independence: living alone + paying my own tuition.