• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology - Are you a believer?

Do you believe in astrology?

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 137 77.8%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
thanks. i read a little more on leo rising.. i must've calculated something wrong...not sure. seems more like me if there's anything to all of this :)

lol, well i do get along with you. ;) maybe i'll look this stuff up again.

try astro.com's chart it is usually pretty accurate. Make sure you have a solid time of day

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Do Siamese Twins have similar personalities?

ye but more importanly share life events, because they will ahve different birth times (even if only a little bit away from each other) can make a difference between how they deal with the world. It is possible or one to be born with a Pisces ascendant the other aries... which would give the typical strong and weak type responce (although weak is a value term I'm not particularly comfortable with).

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
When I read your signature, I think: this is retarded, boiler plate bullshit.

When I read my full astrological profile: not so much.

Why the difference?

Because critical intelligence can distinguish bullshit from the reasonably possible.

As you've said before on this thread: you don't know much about astrology, as you've never seriously studied it.

And as I've said before on this thread: that renders your opinion meaningless.

Try to at least be original if you want to go down that road. I think the discussion has probably moved on beyond lazy applications of the Forer effect/Barnum effect/whatever, though that part may indeed have been consigned to the graveyard.

I love people with a sense of humor. But most of all, people that can read between the lines with such depth.

Oh and Zarathustra :nice one. Critical intelligence...never thought of that before.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
then there's the question as to why my Taurus sister is a better Leo than I am :rolleyes:

Jaguar

I'm an astrologer, and I'm gonna tell you things about you without even knowing you....just take a look at my signature.

Your sig is no different than some of the nonsense in an MBTI book.

sculpting

Because critical intelligence can distinguish bullshit from the reasonably possible.

Hmmmm, *NOM NOM NOM*, * swallow*, *regurgitate*, *NOM NOM NOM chewing cud*....Hmmmmmm.....

Once an entp told me that the flaw of using NeTe for analysis was that we will identify a correlation-then structure it using Te. As long as the correlations and structure are supportive, we accept it as truth. For most enfps this means they assume crazy shit when all emo-like "He is still not home and it is eight o'clock so he MUST be cheating on me because he looked at that chick he works with".

For logical analysis though, anything is "reasonably possible" because the model is built off of practical bricks of reality that I link together. I dont have to PROVE it is correct-as long as it works and the predictive capabilities are sustained I accept as truth. If the predictions fail, the model is fucked, and I trash, edit or remold.

I personally rely on predictive capability of a model a multitude of times, before I trust anything I create.

But it seems that INTJs would be stuck kinda in the same situation-Ni builds models, Te tests them? As long as they work they are accepted? Even without an underlying Ti ruleset? I dunno, your reasonably possible just brought this chain of thoughts to mind...

so do I :ninja:

penis..... vagina.... :rofl1:

:doh: I don't know why, but every time I see/read penis or vagina, I start laughing...

I love you guys!! :wubbie: You make me so happy and giggly.

Both magazines and newspapers reflect the misogyny of the whole society.

I know it is too much to bear to recognise we live in a misogynist society, so we rationalise it to ourselves by quibbling over magazines or newspapers.

And of course it must be completely unbearable for a woman to recognise she lives in a misogynist society. To survive in such a society, to adapt to such a society, must do terrible things to her mind.

In a misogynist society women are dependent for love and support on the very people who regard them with contempt in public and treat them with violence in the home.

So rather than face this unbearable truth, women rationalise.

And rationalisation, as we know, is a psychological defence mechanism to protect us from a harmful truth.

And astrology is the prefect form of never ending rationalisation.

I was with right up until the astrology part-but okay if you say so. :hug:

Ok, let's see what I can make of it (though you'd be better off applying to someone more knowledgable, I will admit!).

Oh, do me! do me! In the astrological sense of course! 11/05/1976 8:45 am

I hope you aren't serious. Women are the privileged class in America, along with all other "protected" groups.

He lives in Austrailia. My father-in-law says things are very sexist there in certain parts of the country, especially if you are used to american norms. The one women executive would not go to dinner with the men-she had to go iron her husbands shirt. His admin kept trying to do his laundry the whole time he stayed there.

I love people with a sense of humor. But most of all, people that can read between the lines with such depth.

Oh and Zarathustra :nice one. Critical intelligence...never thought of that before.

Where did you get that line below anyways? :hug:

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I havent read this thread but heres my theory on how to disprove all this nonsense once and for all.

Supposedly people have different personalities based on what sign were born under right?

Make a personality test that will give you a distinct result and categorize people into one of the different signs, and then cross reference this with the persons birth date.
(protip: dont tell them what the test is about and make sure theyre people who are knowledgeable about horoscopes)

Based on this you could judge the accuracy of astrology scientifically.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I had an ex who had the same birthday as me... he was an intolerable jackass of the ENFJ variety...

I'm not an ENFJ :newwink:

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I had an ex who had the same birthday as me... he was an intolerable jackass of the ENFJ variety...

I'm not an ENFJ :newwink:

Exactly the same date too? That's impressive! Mind you, the time and place are supposed to be equally significant for a full reading, as there will be similar energies expressed in completely different areas of your life, and therefore conflicting, if these are different. He could easily have had a different moon sign too, which is supposed to make quite a big difference!

Incidentally, someone compared me recently to one of the two people I know of on the site who has the same birthday as me (not exact date, that would be freaky). It's the only time I have semi-seriously been compared to anyone else on there, so the coincidence is a little odd. I wouldn't have said I'm very much like him personally though ;)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
pretty close on everything birthdate wise :yes:

I'm never compared to anyone IRL :sadbanana:

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That's not at all what I'm talking about.

n-body problem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think that undermines astrology. I mean, on a constellation scale, the inaccuracies become rather negligible. Huge distances, but percentage-wise, virtually nothing. And, unpredictability wouldn't change the fact that they have a relative position to judge whatever astrology supposedly judges. It would just be harder to predict.

So I'd say chaos theory neither undermines, nor 'overmines' astrology.

What really undermines astrology is stuff like this:-

How Races and Religions Match in Online Dating

It's about race and religion, but they use Zodiac as an example of when their is no trend. Why use the elaborate way of suggesting something when you can directly prove or disprove it in a simple manner (I know that you weren't doing that, but others are). Why go on about chaos theory or some such, when they methods for finding the truth of the matter are right in front of you.

All that is needed is a larger, more official study. With as little self-reporting as possible.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Btw I'd like to participate in the game too..

Aries ASC, Aries Moon and Aquarius Sun ;)

sculpting

It's a good idea to listen to your father-in-law but perhaps take what he says with a grain of salt.

For women gained the national vote for the first time in the world in Australia and New Zealand in 1904.

And since then feminism has been remarkably successful here, partly because women have been successful in Government. For instance our Head of State is a woman as is our Commander-in-Chief. And right down the line from equal pay, to child care to maternity leave, to abortion, to free health care, to divorce laws, to education, women have made and continue to make gains. And companies here are publicly rated by the Government on how well they implement equality for women in the workplace.

We have been successful in raising the status of women and indeed the Office of the Status of Women is a high ranking Government Department and continues to raise the status of women.

Americans are remarkably ignorant about other parts of the world and your father-in-law seems no exception and keeps on repeating canards he had heard from someone else, just as you keep on repeating canards heard from your father-in-law.

In the time of the internet, ignorance is no excuse and can only be called prejudice.

And what a joke, "American norms", if we followed American norms, we would be a racist, sexist gun culture, with a working poor, obsessed with religion.

Instead we are a gun free, successful multi-cultural and prosperous society, based on the Enlightenment, that values the contribution of women.

How lucky you are to have us as an ally - it's more than you deserve.

He spent almost a year working there as well as years spent overseas working in europe as well-but a bit removed from the urban areas. I'd love to hear your thoughts via VM though. :) The bold is hysterical BTW, but stereotypes are stereotypes. I live in texas where I can go buy my own gun, jesus is everywhere-but only if you want him, and in another 5 years I will officially become a minority. The working poor? My non-working poor sister has requested that she come stay with you for awhile...

What my international coworkers are much more horrified by are the fact that women can progress so high up the career ladder-but we only get six weeks maternity leave and three of that is unpaid. They are also horrified by our 60 work weeks, putting our infants in daycare at 2 months, no paternity leave for fathers, limited vacations.

But I dont have anyone telling me what I can or cannot do-I am limited by my own ability to work hard and achieve goals. I also dont have a societal expectation for me to stay home with babies-we actually have multiple women at our company who work, while husbands stay with children.

But yeah, didnt mean to offend V, so a new thread discussing cultural perspectives for women in different countries may be very valuable-given you have been emphasizing mysogyny a bunch as of late.

(But yeah I'd pick the netherlands to live in if I had a choice)

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
2 min reading

Tinkerbell,

do you mind giving me a 2 min astro reading as well?

Sun Gemini, Asc Libra, Moon Cancer
Sun and Moon in 9th House

Thanks

Fluxi

Here my natal thingy if that helps :)

horo.gif

Edited Image for more details

Last edited:

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Alright, for the sake of argument, let us say that I believe in Astrology. What happens now?