• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology - Are you a believer?

Do you believe in astrology?

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 137 77.8%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
If you open your mind too much, it will fall out ;D

I agree that most people are not open-minded enough, but I don't think astrology is a very good way to fix that.

LOL no, astrology won't fix that, but accepting that just because we do not understand something now, doesn't mean that that thing is impossible just might. :newwink:

Mole

Permabanned
LOL no, astrology won't fix that, but accepting that just because we do not understand something now, doesn't mean that that thing is impossible just might. :newwink:

You can find out about astrology by simply picking up the phone and talking to an astronomer.

But you won't do that because that would spoil the confidence trick of astrology.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think there are more things we don't understand and therefore tend as a species to write off as either nonsense or impossible.

This.

The world is no longer flat. We still have unchartered areas of land and ocean.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Victor it must be great to be so certain about such things. I am certain that the science teacher I had as a child who told me that there was nothing smaller than an atom before proceeding to tell me about neutrons and electrons let alone later discoveries of quarks etc. felt the same way.

We tend to deny the existence of things we do not understand until someone is able to interpret them in a way that makes them definable.

@GemPOPGem - precisely!:wubbie:

Mole

Permabanned
Victor it must be great to be so certain about such things. I am certain that the science teacher I had as a child who told me that there was nothing smaller than an atom before proceeding to tell me about neutrons and electrons let alone later discoveries of quarks etc. felt the same way.

We tend to deny the existence of things we do not understand until someone is able to interpret them in a way that makes them definable.

@GemPOPGem - precisely!:wubbie:

I am not certain about things, that is why I ask questions.

And to ask questions about the stars, I went to those who devote their lives to studying the stars.

And I asked the astronomers about astrology. And they just laughed. They knew astrology came along before astronomy. And they knew that astrology knew next to nothing about the stars and was a cheap confidence trick.

They couldn't believe I was asking them a serious question.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I am not certain about things, that is why I ask questions.

And to ask questions about the stars, I went to those who devote their lives to studying the stars.

And I asked the astronomers about astrology. And they just laughed. They knew astrology came along before astronomy. And they knew that astrology knew next to nothing about the stars and was a cheap confidence trick.

They couldn't believe I was asking them a serious question.

...and those that posited that the earth was not flat or that it was not the centre of the universe were tried as heretics. Or those "experts" that would not allow Einstein admission to a technical school because he didn't have the "prerequisite" qualifications.

The closed mind is the origin of prejudice - derived from pre-judge - whether they are perceived as "experts" or not.

There are always "experts" without the open mind or curiosity that would allow them to question their solid beliefs.

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
.. And they just laughed...
Haha, It's like asking a straight person how a homosexual person is like.

When you've got no idea, you react/put up a defence. Usually with a laugh, or sometimes a more intense emotion, like rage.

I don't know why they would laugh though. It's like as if they believe that they are so righteous that the other side just doesn't seem to have a say, a possibility, a slight doubt...

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I should be honest here - my signature for the past 5 years dropped off but hopefully it will now attach and you can see my own bias towards openness - an INTP thing for someone with extreme iNtuition

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Haha, It's like asking a straight person how a homosexual person is like.

When you've got no idea, you react/put up a defence. Usually with a laugh, or sometimes a more intense emotion, like rage.

I don't know why they would laugh though. It's like as if they believe that they are so righteous that the other side just doesn't seem to have a say, a possibility, a slight doubt...

Victor, how does it feel to get owned by Ming?

You like getting owned by gay teenagers?

I think you do...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
You can find out about astrology by simply picking up the phone and talking to an astronomer.

One of my college friends is an astronomer.

He just got into the astrophysics PhD program at Berkeley.

Guess what you get if you ask him about astrology: a blank stare of ignorance.

He knows nothing about it.

Nor do most astronomers.

Cuz astronomers don't study astrology; they study astronomy.

Unless someone has actually studied astrology, their opinion on the matter is meaningless.

Kinda like yours, Victor.

:jew:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
One of my college friends is an astronomer.

He just got into the astrophysics PhD program at Berkeley.

Guess what you get if you ask him about astrology: a blank stare of ignorance.

He knows nothing about it.

Nor do most astronomers.

Cuz astronomers don't study astrology; they study astronomy.

Unless someone has actually studied astrology, their opinion on the matter is useless.

Kinda like yours, Victor.

:jew:

If your friend enters AstroPhysics and/or studies Quantum Mechanics he would probably be intrigued by the possibilities of investigating what truth might lay in the underpinning of, in all probability, a very bastardised version of the original theory and mathematics.

I would love to know what knowledge of the ancients mankind has forgotten ;)

I think you would be very, very unlikely to get a total dismissal of the possibility by someone like Prof. Steven Hawking.

sculpting

BUBBLEBATH!!!!!!!!!!!

rainbows_1024x768.jpg

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
I think you would be very, very unlikely to get a total dismissal of the possibility by someone like Prof. Steven Hawking.
Are you trying to say that people should not discount the possibility that every single astrological theory in the history of humanity is correct, just because it's 'possible'?

The chances are about the same as the chances that they got everything right by coincidence :/

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Are you trying to say that people should not discount the possibility that every single astrological theory in the history of humanity is correct, just because it's 'possible'?

The chances are about the same as the chances that they got everything right by coincidence :/

What I am saying is that being adamant that there is no truth in astrology is not very smart. For a theory to have survived in different forms in different cultures it may have a profound truth buried in it.

From the physical perspective, think of the chaos theory but on a more minute scale - who would have thought that the impact of butterflies flying in one part of the world could have such a significant effect on weather in another part of the world.

I think we have to say that there is a possibility in there that we do not yet understand but cannot adamantly discount because we do not currently know or understand how it could.

We would not know what we currently understand about our physical world without the fact that people have been brave enough through the millenia to challenge established thought and seek the understanding to prove it.

Mole

Permabanned
What I am saying is that being adamant that there is no truth in astrology is not very smart. For a theory to have survived in different forms in different cultures it may have a profound truth buried in it.

Astrology is not a theory. General Relativity is.

Astrology is a confidence trick.

So the only remaining question is -

Who do you want to trick - yourself or others?

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
Astrology is not a theory. General Relativity is.

Astrology is a confidence trick.

So the only remaining question is -

Who do you want to trick - yourself or others?
Astrology is not a theory? Really?

So the 'theory' of physics, evolution and etc, aren't right.

Anything is a confidence trick. What is 'real' confidence? Define what 'real confidence' is.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
You do like it, don't you, Victor?

All this gay pwnage...

You just can't help yerself...

You gotta keep comin back for more...

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Burden of Proof

Astrology seems to be a very common subject that people forget this on.

You are dreamy, with a psychological nature that is oriented towards nostalgia for things past, towards your mother and your family. Your instinct and your need to protect yourself from the outside world are highly developed. Your inner life is rich, with a vivid and even unlimited imagination, a propensity to avoid all risks and to pursue security. You show your true face only to persons you can trust and you need the well being brought about by the nostalgia for the past.

With this Ascendant, you come across as emotional, sentimental, restful, sensitive, loyal, enduring, protective, vulnerable, generous, romantic, tender, poetic, paternal or maternal, dreamy, indolent, greedy and dedicated. You may also be fearful, unrealistic, evasive, passive, touchy, anxious, dependent, stubborn, lunatic, backward-looking, lazy, burdensome, impenetrable and a homebody.
Wow... Stuff like this will shake my confidence in anything, let alone something I never believed in the first place. People saying astrology needs to be looked deeper into, where? What part of astrology is going to actually make sense?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I'm an astrologer, and I'm gonna tell you things about you without even knowing you....just take a look at my signature.