• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology - Are you a believer?

Do you believe in astrology?

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 137 77.8%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, Entropie, you have experiment how theses stuff can be useful to being close with women, too?:D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Of course, they come in droves to have a meeting with the pope of astrology :D.

Yloh

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I find astrology very interesting and psychics use it all the time to help them read people.

The thing is there are many factors that makes our personalities. Factors such as birth place, economy, race, values, religion, etc. To be able to tell me everything about my personality just by where the planets are located is just bogus in my eyes.

I've read some characteristics about my astrology sign online and some general characteristics are accurate. I took the OCEAN test on facebook and it said I was nothing like my astrology sign, or at least I didn't process enough of certain characteristic traits to be considered that sign.

Oh let me throw something else in the mix. Lets throw in Chinese astrology. Some people's Chinese signs will contradict their western signs.

I'm a Sagittarius Dog.

Overall, I do believe there is some truth to it as trained people have successfully used it time and again, but I'm very skeptical about it. I don't believe it is 100% accurate.

copperfish17

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The Barnum effect is the name given to a type of subjective validation in which a person finds personal meaning in statements that could apply to many people.

For example:

You have a need for other people to like and admire you, and yet you tend to be critical of yourself. While you have some personality weaknesses you are generally able to compensate for them. You have considerable unused capacity that you have not turned to your advantage. At times you have serious doubts whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing.

If these statements sound like they came from a newsstand astrology book, that may be because they did. Such statements are sometimes called Barnum statements and they are an effective element in the repertoire of anyone doing readings: astrologers, palm readers, psychics, rumpologists and so on.

Jaguar

The Barnum effect is the name given to a type of subjective validation in which a person finds personal meaning in statements that could apply to many people.

For example:
You have a need for other people to like and admire you

That could have come straight out of an MBTI book.

Logically Creative

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
I thought the question here is "are you a believer?" As a astrology student, yes, I am. Virgo-sun, Scorpio-rising & Taurus-moon. Love Scorpios....!

Ming

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2w3
My colon is in Virgo and my penis is in Scorpio. :jew:
I know on the inside of that brave face, something nice and kind is there..

Hmm.. One day I'll come along Jag, and somehow corrupt you! :devil:

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I found my full reading yesterday (from 2005 when I had it done) packed in a box.

I will share some of it in a new thread, for the purposes of trying to see how many of you would identify with it too - exploring the Forer effect!

It will take a bit to type it up ... but aren't you excited?

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Ming I think there are more things we don't understand and therefore tend as a species to write off as either nonsense or impossible. I had this discussion with some colleagues today and when they expressed the typical disgust at the mention of astrology I began to question their rationale in arriving at that certainty.

When I asked them why they felt like that they could not really tell me why. After I raised known effects of the moon on tides and menses, acknowledged effect of gravity from distant bodies in the universe, and how little a huge string of data such as a genome needed to change to exhibit significant visible changes in offspring, I think they began to question their own strong responses and skepticism.

;)

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
Ming I think there are more things we don't understand and therefore tend as a species to write off as either nonsense or impossible. I had this discussion with some colleagues today and when they expressed the typical disgust at the mention of astrology I began to question their rationale in arriving at that certainty.

When I asked them why they felt like that they could not really tell me why. After I raised known effects of the moon on tides and menses, acknowledged effect of gravity from distant bodies in the universe, and how little a huge string of data such as a genome needed to change to exhibit significant visible changes in offspring, I think they began to question their own strong responses and skepticism.

;)
I think it's more likely that they decided you were one of those and didn't want to continue discussing it with you. That is how these sorts of situations actually play out.

Windigo

My colon is in Virgo and my penis is in Scorpio. :jew:

Penis in Scorpio? That sounds painful!!!

When I was in Jr. High I was really into astrology until I realized it was a really stupid reason to be prejudiced against someone because of their birthday or place!

Oh, I hate Virgos! Geminis are such two faced flakes!
Whatever!

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I think it's more likely that they decided you were one of those and didn't want to continue discussing it with you. That is how these sorts of situations actually play out.
If that's the case then so be it LOL

I would love to open the minds of anyone who denies possibility without thought. Imagine what we could have achieved if mankind in history were by nature open minded. What knowledge have we forgotten that we once knew?

Nuff said from a newby ;) Hi!

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
If that's the case then so be it LOL

I would love to open the minds of anyone who denies possibility without thought. Imagine what we could have achieved if mankind in history were by nature open minded. What knowledge have we forgotten that we once knew?

Nuff said from a newby ;) Hi!
If you open your mind too much, it will fall out ;D

I agree that most people are not open-minded enough, but I don't think astrology is a very good way to fix that.