• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Astrology - Are you a believer?

Do you believe in astrology?

• Yes

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 137 77.8%
  • I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
This is the first time I've ever seen Ragashree make a post, but, from what I've seen on this thread and on my wall today, he's a great example of this kind of thinking.

Jag might be as well, but it's harder to tell cuz his posts are usually so short.

Tesla seems to be a great example of this kind of thinking in a traditional Ti user.

Uumlau also seems good at it.

:yes:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I'm sorry to take it all the way back to here, but I never actually read this post, and I now see that your terminology I've questioned in my most recent response (objective variable, et al) beckons back to here.

I wish it were easier to interlace all of our responses back to each other, but I'm afraid it would be a giant pain in the ass (simple multi-quoting won't work).

As such, I'm gunna try to just make this as simple as possible.

What's your point? I'm talking about the way they function, not the the developmental history. If they do the same thing, I don't care how each was developed for purposes of this discussion.

What do you even mean they "do the same thing".

The only arbitrary thing I've seen amongst any of the topics of discussion in this thread has been your equation of astrology and MBTI.

Just because there are 12 sun signs and 16 MBTI types and the two pertain in their own ways to personality does not mean that the two methods are at all similar.

You are trying to force the two into a narrow box, and, by doing so, you're making me about as frustrated with your all-too-often simplistic, narrow-minded thinking as Jaguar always seems to be.

THAT is what's arbitrary, Sim: your equating of the two.

The reason I brought up the fact that the developmental history AND methodology (you didn't even acknowledge the second of these two in your response) of astrology differ greatly from those of MBTI is that this difference is SIGNIFICANT (i.e., to arbitrarily equate the two -- as you did -- is a grievous error of reasoning, and will only serve to produce a fucked-up end result).

Hence, when you say something idiotic like...

I'm afraid the horrible reasoning is coming from your Ti fail, here.

... I can only :doh: and laugh, because what's obvious is that it's your narrow-minded, simplistic attempt to equate two VERY DIFFERENT things that is the fail here.

Thus, Sim, it is actually your Ti fail, here.

Your Ti is trying to cram a triangle and a circle into a triangle-shaped box.

And it is my Ni that is noticing it.

You assume there's such a thing as a "Libra personality" exactly the same way you assume there's such a thing as an "INTJ personality." If you remove the part about correlation between birth date and personality, typology and astrology are identical.

It's actually birth date, time, and location.

How does this change anything meaningful?

Because what you failed to understand is that I was trying to show that, based on your (lack of) knowledge of astrology, you weren't realizing that astrology and MBTI are, in fact, too differently shaped to be properly crammed into the same-shaped box.

Obviously, you didn't get this; hence, your question.

I will further elucidate this point below:

It's not that astrology "isn't real"--each sign actually does have well-defined, observable personality traits associated with it, just like in typology. The only thing "not real" about it is the claim that people born on a Libra date will show Libra traits.

All assumptions.

It's not an unreasonable assumption that each astrological type has personality traits associated with it. That's in the definition of the system.

The issue is that you don't actually understand the system, so you don't know why this isn't really the case.

If you understood the astrological system better, you would see why this argument fails.

For example:

Also, you're putting too much emphasis on the sun sign.

As for the sun sign emphasis, it makes no difference to my point.

No, it doesn't.

Your point is whatever you want it to be, and this doesn't change it.

It does, however, change the efficacy of your point.

See, not having any real working knowledge of the astrological system, you (and your point, for that matter) are working under the assumption that the 12 sun signs are comparable to the 16 MBTI types.

The problem is: they're not.

As I said multiple times earlier in the thread, the sun sign is basically like 1% of a full astrological natal chart.

If you wanted to be extremely forgiving, you might be willing to offer that it represents approximately 10% of the content of a full astrological profile.

So, while it might not make a difference to your point, it does render your point useless.

That's the part that I clearly see that you clearly don't.

Which brings us back to a point that I want to reemphasize quickly:

I'm afraid the horrible reasoning is coming from your Ti fail, here.

No, Sim.

The horrible reasoning is coming from your lack of any substantive knowledge of astrology, which causes you to fail to realize that your attempt to compare and equate astrology and MBTI is completely devoid of any truth, relevance and/or value.

Yes, it's as simple as making up a labeling system. Twelve is an arbitrarily chosen number just as sixteen is an arbitrarily chosen number in typology.

This is a discussion for another day, but I really can't stand your consistent use of the word "arbitrary" in this way.

Your use of the word "arbitrary" is too arbitrary. :jew:

We could make up an equally valid system using only two personality types, or two-hundred, or whatever number we want; it just depends on where you draw the distinctions between people and how many you choose to draw.

There are no such things as "personality types" in astrology. Every chart is unique. There are no "types".

Most people know only their sun sign, which, as I've said before, is just a small facet of astrology.

To equate one's sun sign to a "personality type" is highly problematic and erroneous.

One who actually knows the astrological system would know this.

A correlation between birth date and personality is clearly falsifiable because we can compare people's behavior to their objective birth data and see that for the vast majority of people there's no real correlation. This is unrelated to the idea of making up arbitrary personality categories that cannot be falsified (as in typology.)

When you introduce any objective variable into the system (like birth date), you open yourself up to falsifiability. Since Jungian typology contains no objective variables, it is not making any falsifiable claim and thus has no truth/falsehood value.

Is it "true" that people who ignore the feelings of others are "assholes"? We don't have an objective definition of "asshole", so calling someone an asshole is not a falsifiable claim, and yet somehow people still generally understand what the term means. Not everyone will agree on who's an asshole and who isn't--but if we were to introduce the condition that, say, everyone born in April is an asshole, we'd be introducing an objective variable which creates falsifiability.

Did you know that there are potentially hundreds of supposedly meaningful data points in a full natal chart?

And that the meaning of one data point can contradict the meaning of another?

And that this is all looked at as well and fine according to astrology (and common sense), because people often have competing and contradictory dimensions to their own personalities?

So, in light of the above, how easy (let alone possible) do you think it would be to isolate for all these different aspects of a full natal chart in order to scientifically verify or falsify astrology?

Hint: if you're thinking "it would be easy", stop for a second, breathe, remind yourself that you don't really know jack shit about astrology, and repeat.

Then go read a book about astrology.

:jew:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Alright, so I think everyone's lubed up enough for insertion, so I'm just gunna get right to it.

As I said before in this thread:

All I said is that it was enough to prompt me to learn more about astrology.

Do you know much about astrology?

If not, let me ask you this: what do you think of people who write off ideas without knowing much about them?

I don't think one can speak intelligently on astrology unless one has come to study and understand their own natal chart and astrological profile with a truly open mind.

Accordingly, I ask of any person who has posted in this thread and who has not done the above to do so.

Here's the first place I got a full natal chart reading.

There are many others, but I found this one to be pretty good: Astrology.com Personal Astrology Profile.

Remember: I said that you must approach this study with an open mind.

If you are closed off to it from the get go, you might as well be listening to a lecture with your eyes closed, hands over your ears, screaming, "LALALALALALAALAALALALAAA", at the end of which you say, "Well, I didn't really get anything of merit out of that."

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I see the astral themes of peoples when I try to type them, so I guess, that I believe in, yes.:D

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
To a degree, yes. I'm also interested in numerology and find, like many others, that it relates closely to the Enneagram.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I will add that the first natal chart I had done was uncanny in many ways. There were enough specifics that I certainly could not explain how it could be that close to describing my upbringing and parents, certain aspects of my personality (and bad ones too) the kind of men I was attracted to etc. etc. Too specific in my mind to simply be attributable to the Forer effect.

Do I believe astrology as a predictive? No. But neither do I dismiss something simply because there is no concrete proof. Pfft, why would I even be on this site in the first place then? Z has good advice - you can't give any objective response in this thread if you have not done your own due diligence.

There's an old astrology thread started by Tinkerbell a while back - I think I posted something more substantive there. I'll go back and find it.

And Z - I enjoy how you are standing up here and defending the almost indefensible. There's a general trend to mock something not understood, rather than going to get the data for yourself and making your own conclusions.

Here's one of my posts in that thread: PB Natal Chart

I would love to have a renowned, professional astrologist do a chart for me and see how accurate that would be ... apparently there's as much art as science about these things, theories as to what would have more influence when some part of the charts are in opposition etc.

gromit

likes this
Poll Options
Yes
No
I have no idea what it is? So I'm not sure.

No grey area???

G

Ginkgo

I feel like I just took a giant dump.

:happy:

Feels good, don't it? :D

In my experience, qualitative measures are that of opinion, while quantitative measures are that of fact.

For instance, "Jung sexually abused his patients" is a statement that can be objectively verified, thus it is considered to be "fact". This is why it would be wise to present evidence for such a statement.

On the other hand, "Jung was intelligent" is a statement that is both qualitative and subject to interpretation - so it is considered an opinion. From a layman, Jung would probably seem exceedingly intelligent. However, compared to Einstein, he may not have been intelligent. In a biological context, every poster on this forum is intelligent because we are all sentient.

So this is why it is exceedingly difficult to measure quality.

Also - concerning the physicality of the universe - I recognize that there tends to be a symptom of nihilism that drifts along the back of such a worldview, like a parasitic remora tagging along with a whale. This is brought to light especially in regard to free will; for when we adhere to a purely physical state of existence, we deny any breed of metaphysical free will, and our choices are suddenly solely contingent upon neurons in our brains and external stimuli. The seat of consciousness becomes purely physical.

Not only that, but we deny any metaphysical quality ;) of humanity. However, I think that society runs much more smoothly when we add some level of subjective free will. When we dispense some sort of divine nature to ourselves and each other, we give more of a reason to be compassionate, and less of a reason to measure the quantitative worth of a human.

We do not always make our decisions with objective reality in mind... and with good reason.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What do you even mean they "do the same thing".

What I mean is that you can use them in the same way as methods of categorizing kinds of personalities, that's all.

The only arbitrary thing I've seen amongst any of the topics of discussion in this thread has been your equation of astrology and MBTI.

Just because there are 12 sun signs and 16 MBTI types and the two pertain in their own ways to personality does not mean that the two methods are at all similar.

You are trying to force the two into a narrow box, and, by doing so, you're making me about as frustrated with your all-too-often simplistic, narrow-minded thinking as Jaguar always seems to be.

THAT is what's arbitrary, Sim: your equating of the two.

This seems like a communication error. Maybe I'm not explaining this well.

What I meant was that you can look at the different sun signs as labels for personality categories in the same way you can use MBTI types to categorize people. I didn't mean the systems were derived the same way or had the same developmental history or any of that. (There are obviously personality traits associated with each sun sign, or the girls in your story would not have been able to tell you were a Libra by interacting with you.)

The reason I brought up the fact that the developmental history AND methodology (you didn't even acknowledge the second of these two in your response) of astrology differ greatly from those of MBTI is that this difference is SIGNIFICANT (i.e., to arbitrarily equate the two -- as you did -- is a grievous error of reasoning, and will only serve to produce a fucked-up end result).

Hence, when you say something idiotic like...

... I can only :doh: and laugh, because what's obvious is that it's your narrow-minded, simplistic attempt to equate two VERY DIFFERENT things that is the fail here.

Thus, Sim, it is actually your Ti fail, here.

Your Ti is trying to cram a triangle and a circle into a triangle-shaped box.

And it is my Ni that is noticing it.

I'm not making any commentary on the developmental history or methodology; I'm just describing the only way I could imagine that we could make any real use of astrology.

Where did I say I thought the creators of each system thought they should be used in the same way?

I didn't--I just think astrology is useless in the way it was intended, so the only way I see that it might be somehow useful is to use its categories in a way similar to Jungian typology.

Because what you failed to understand is that I was trying to show that, based on your (lack of) knowledge of astrology, you weren't realizing that astrology and MBTI are, in fact, too differently shaped to be properly crammed into the same-shaped box.

Obviously, you didn't get this; hence, your question.

I will further elucidate this point below:

I don't really care if astrology was designed to work differently from typology in theory--because in practice, it doesn't. I was giving it the benefit of the doubt by granting it usefulness in terms of applying it like a typological personality categorization system (even if its creators didn't design it to work that way.)

You get it yet? I'm saying we can squeeze some value out of it if we treat it like a typology system, regardless of whether it was designed to work that way.

Outside this one use, which its creators did not even intend, its only value is in personal entertainment.

The issue is that you don't actually understand the system, so you don't know why this isn't really the case.

If you understood the astrological system better, you would see why this argument fails.

For example:

No, it doesn't.

Your point is whatever you want it to be, and this doesn't change it.

It does, however, change the efficacy of your point.

See, not having any real working knowledge of the astrological system, you (and your point, for that matter) are working under the assumption that the 12 sun signs are comparable to the 16 MBTI types.

The problem is: they're not.

Then how is it that the clothing store girls were able to observe your personality and label it "Libra"? Doesn't this imply that Libras all tend to share certain personality traits?

As I said multiple times earlier in the thread, the sun sign is basically like 1% of a full astrological natal chart.

If you wanted to be extremely forgiving, you might be willing to offer that it represents approximately 10% of the content of a full astrological profile.

So, while it might not make a difference to your point, it does render your point useless.

That's the part that I clearly see that you clearly don't.

Here's the one and only thing I need to know about astrology:

Astrology is a group of systems, traditions, and beliefs which hold that the relative positions of celestial bodies and related details can provide information about personality, human affairs, and other terrestrial matters.

I don't need to read a book on alchemy to know that it doesn't work. I've read the basic premises of astrology and I understand that the scientific community considers it pseudoscience, so until somebody shows some reason that it has any real use, I'm going to ignore it. I don't really give a shit about the finer details.

I'm not "overemphasizing the sun sign" because:

A) There are obviously personality characteristics associated with each sun sign, or those girls wouldn't have been able to peg you for a Libra based on your behavior, and

B) Every other piece of the natal chart is based on the same premise as the sun sign: That locations of celestial bodies at the time of birth can impact personality. Whether this is based on one celestial body or ten million celestial bodies doesn't matter, because it's an erroneous premise from the start.

If I happen to be missing out on some extraordinary, fantastic ancient wisdom that could totally revolutionize my life, then I guess I'll just have to take that risk.

I think the point that you are missing is: Regardless of how many pieces a natal chart consists of, they're all still based on the same central flawed theme--that the positions of celestial bodies at birth have some direct impact on personality.

For that matter, why does astrology use the star chart as the celestial bodies exist at the time of birth, rather than at the time of conception?

Does the mother's biological tissue somehow block out astrological influence until the time of birth? That's interesting, because the biological tissue in the human head doesn't seem to block out astrological influence to the brain.

Not to mention, how would we account for the influence of celestial bodies that we haven't discovered yet? Is astrological influence limited by distance? Surely even a full natal chart includes but a tiny, tiny fraction of the celestial bodies in the universe--how can we hope to have anything remotely resembling a complete picture of the nature of all celestial bodies in the universe at the time of birth? Why are only the currently known bodies relevant?

In fact, more celestial bodies are discovered all the time. Does that mean all natal charts done before we discovered the ones we know about now are actually inaccurate, because they failed to account for the influence of celestial bodies that hadn't yet been discovered? How is this explained?

Which brings us back to a point that I want to reemphasize quickly:

No, Sim.

The horrible reasoning is coming from your lack of any substantive knowledge of astrology, which causes you to fail to realize that your attempt to compare and equate astrology and MBTI is completely devoid of any truth, relevance and/or value.

This is a discussion for another day, but I really can't stand your consistent use of the word "arbitrary" in this way.

Your use of the word "arbitrary" is too arbitrary. :jew:

I'm well aware that MBTI and astrology are designed in totally different ways.

I was trying to throw astrology a bone by suggesting that we use it in a way different from what its creators intended--as a typological system of personality categories:

We could take the character traits associated with each sun sign--and again, there obviously are traits associated with each sign or you would not be identifiable as a Libra by your behavior (which creates an obvious parallel to typology)--and use them as labels for categorizing personalities. I could see some measure of value in this, which would be similar to the value of typology.

If you're not willing to consider using astrology in any way other than the way it's intended, though, it's good for entertainment purposes and nothing more.

I mean, seriously, you said you've discounted it having any predictive power, but if any of the data offered anywhere on the entire natal chart actually shows a real correlation with your birth information, that would constitute predictive power, of which you've already conceded it has none. What exactly is the use here beyond personal entertainment?

There are no such things as "personality types" in astrology. Every chart is unique. There are no "types".

Most people know only their sun sign, which, as I've said before, is just a small facet of astrology.

To equate one's sun sign to a "personality type" is highly problematic and erroneous.

That's interesting--how is it that those girls were able to tell from your behavior that you were a Libra, then? This seems to imply that there are characteristics which Libras tend to share--in fact, the girls themselves said, "Libras always have highly refined aesthetic taste", or whatever it was.

Doesn't this imply that, even though each chart has unique characteristics, there are trends which create behavioral commonalities between people with the same sun sign? How else would they know you're a Libra from watching you?

In fact, if every chart were completely unique and no trends could be observed across different people's charts, such recognition would absolutely impossible.

I just googled for "Libra characteristics" and found thousands of pages listing supposed characteristics shared by Libras...for instance:

Libra characteristics deem them often good looking and Librans are among the most civilized of all the zodiac. They exhibit good taste, charm and elegance. They are naturally kind, gentle and love the pleasures which harmony and beauty can bring.

Librans have a strong critical mind and can easily play devil’s advocate by standing back and look at matters impartially. Once they have reached a conclusion though, they don’t suffer arguments of others very well and this manifests itself in impatience with criticism and a greed for approval. With that said, they are more often than not well balanced and even tempered types.

Sensitive to the needs of others, Librans have an innate understanding of the emotions and can head off sadness in their companions with their own optimism. As highly social humans, they loathe any form of cruelty, vulgarity and conflict.

You’ll find your Libra to be artistic more than intellectual yet often too balanced to be avant garde in the arts. Their perception, observation and critical ability gives their work integrity as is indicative by the works of Paul Simon or John Lennon.

Can somebody say, "confirmation bias"?

One who actually knows the astrological system would know this.

Did you know that there are potentially hundreds of supposedly meaningful data points in a full natal chart?

Did you know that they're all based on the same flawed premise?

And that the meaning of one data point can contradict the meaning of another?

And that this is all looked at as well and fine according to astrology (and common sense), because people often have competing and contradictory dimensions to their own personalities?

So, in light of the above, how easy (let alone possible) do you think it would be to isolate for all these different aspects of a full natal chart in order to scientifically verify or falsify astrology?

Hint: if you're thinking "it would be easy", stop for a second, breathe, remind yourself that you don't really know jack shit about astrology, and repeat.

Then go read a book about astrology.

:jew:

So let me get this straight--astrological charts rest on so many conflicting data points that you have enough information of a wide enough variety to read whatever you want into it. If you look hard enough, you'll always find something that sounds like you.

You've established here that astrological charts are designed to be so complex, dense, varied and even contradictory as to be nearly unfalsifiable, and that they offer such a large volume of conflicting information that almost anyone can find something that sounds right somewhere in the chart?

And we have no credible reason to believe the positions of celestial bodies influence personality or other worldly events in the first place?

And you wonder why the scientific community considers this pseudoscience that's popular due to confirmation bias?

As I said, I see one way this is useful, aside from treating it like typology--personal entertainment. I'm sure you can derive hours of fun from sitting around reading about your astrological chart and all the different personality traits it supposedly implies and trying to think of creative ways to apply them to yourself. Really, I'm sure that's a blast, but I'm really not interested in investing the time into learning the intricacies of how it's done--I guess I'll just have to miss out on this particular well of ancient wisdom. :rofl1:

Jaguar

Correct.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think the funny part here is how Jag is withholding his real opinion on astrology in favor of helping Z rip on me.

I guess that's more of his vaunted "integrity."

And Z, I love you man, but note that I'm the only NT even bothering to humor you here. Jag is hanging around to look for more opportunities to stick it to me--he's not even addressing his own opinions on the topic of astrology. Every other NT who's entered the thread has given up on you by now because it's widely known that astrology is just an ancient superstition that's good for entertainment value and nothing more.

Go and reread Trinity's post here. You even agreed it was an outstanding post, and it succinctly outlines the problems with your arguments.

Jaguar

I think the funny part here is how Jag is withholding his real opinion on astrology in favor of helping Z rip on me.

I was just about to give up on Z, until he gave the correct answer.
He finally gave it.

Your arguments in this thread are inane drivel.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was just about to give up on Z, until he gave the correct answer.
He finally gave it.

Your arguments in this thread are inane drivel.

You are lying because you value criticizing me above expressing your real opinion. If anyone is going after me, you'd rather get behind him than admit to disagreeing with his premise.

We both know you don't buy this astrology crap.

Jaguar

You are lying because you value criticizing me above expressing your real opinion.

If it makes you feel better to think so, rather than deal with your own incompetence, knock yourself out.
I'll say it one more time - your arguments in this thread are inane drivel.
The more you post, the more it shows.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If it makes you feel better to think so, rather than deal with your own incompetence, knock yourself out.
I'll say it one more time - your arguments in this thread are inane drivel.
The more you post, the more it shows.

I'd be surprised if you even read my posts.

It's hysterical that you'll actually implicitly support astrology just to avoid taking my side. Honestly...this is coming from Mr. Te himself? Every position you normally take is founded on requiring quantitative, empirical evidence to consider anything worthwhile and now you're supporting astrology?

I may be just a dumb NTP, but even I'm not dumb enough to buy that.

By the way, Z, here's another study of 2,000 "astral twins" born within minutes of each other--no significant personality similarities:

Is Astrology Relevant to Consciousness and Psi?

A large-scale test of persons born less than five minutes apart found no hint of
the similarities predicted by astrology. Meta-analysis of more than forty controlled
studies suggests that astrologers are unable to perform significantly
better than chance even on the more basic tasks such as predicting extraversion.
More specifically, astrologers who claim to use psychic ability perform no better
than those who do not. The possibility that astrology might be relevant to consciousness
and psi is not denied, but such influences, if they exist in astrology,
would seem to be very weak or very rare.

Jaguar

I'd be surprised if you even read my posts.

It's hysterical that you'll actually implicitly support astrology just to avoid taking my side. Honestly...this is coming from Mr. Te himself? Every position you normally take is founded on requiring quantitative, empirical evidence to consider anything worthwhile and now you're supporting astrology?

I may be just a dumb NTP, but even I'm not dumb enough to buy that.

This may be hard for you to understand, but this isn't personal.

Quite some time ago, there was a thread like this over at INTJf.
The same lame arguments were being tossed around until one INTJ spoke up. One.
You know what his answer was? The correct one.
It was like Z's but just worded differently.

It doesn't matter if it's Astrology, Psychology, or Endocrinology.
The answer is still the same - you can't pronounce something is bullshit when you aren't well-educated on the subject.

What's next from you - thinking you're qualified to make an argument about the implications of TSH ranges in diagnosing hypothyroidism?

Get educated before making an argument on ANY subject. It's that simple.
Then when you post, you won't look like an idiot.

You and Kalach should get together.
Both of you make posts in this forum that are drenched in ignorance, but you actually think you know what you're talking about.

Big hat. No cattle.

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Get educated before making an argument on ANY subject. It's that simple

Yeah good call, even though this wasn't directed at me, I feel dumb now. I don't know shit about Astrology, so I should just shut up until I do. Zarathustra is right.