• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

When do you think someone is overreacting?

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I like this song from the Black Eyed Peas and I especially like the video for a reason other than the song.

[YOUTUBE="CUFsQ5lTo6g"]Imma Be[/YOUTUBE]

Watch up to 1:31. Would you say Fergie's characterization is an overreaction or just a passionate reaction?

What I like about this is the interaction is its very casual; something that can happen when you're with a group of friends just talking about stuff and then a subject comes up that makes people heated.

I notice a common accusation within relational issues is saying that another person overreacts. I'd like to find out what people consider an overreaction.

sculpting

interesting.

I would call that over reacting and be fucking annoyed by it. If you disagree, you sit down, debate, discuss, go head to head over the issue, but you work it out. The walking out was annoying to me.

I guess this may be my perception-I would perceive this particular problem as being business related-I might get passionate, but would not back down or walk out until the problem was resolved.

EDIT-Although if really upset, i might say "Hey, I need some time to think this issue over and I'll get back to you"

Emo over reactions would be reserved for emotional pain. In which case I very well may cover you in emo-spew.

Can you give us an example like this of a couple interacting?

heart

heart on fire
When I get a gut feeling that a person is acting out their emotions more to experience the sensation than to anything they are really feeling inside, then I say they are overreacting. I grew up around people who did this all the time. The experience of being out of control of their actions and the endorphrins released etc, seemed to be the motivation not true hurt or anger.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I am not sure if it's an overreaction. She didn't even really hear him out. She just stormed off like a spoiled child. Can a person be passionate, but still be respectful and open-minded?

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I am not sure if it's an overreaction. She didn't even really hear him out. She just stormed off like a spoiled child. Can a person be passionate, but still be respectful and open-minded?

^ I agree.

If you don't want to be seen to be overacting, you have to at least try to converse, not just storm off. Her behavior was sort of annoying.

sculpting

When I get a gut feeling that a person is acting out their emotions more to experience the sensation than to anything they are really feeling inside, then I say they are overreacting. I grew up around people who did this all the time. The experience of being out of control of their actions and the endorphrins released etc, seemed to be the motivation not true hurt or anger.

hi heart-how would you tell the difference-between the emotions of hurt or anger and a response that was out of control of actions/endorphins? Wouldnt the hurt/anger be what provokes the out of control action via endorphin responses?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I think an overreaction is impassioned willful ignorance whereas a passionate reaction is based upon a coherent argument.

G

garbage

When do I think someone's overreacting? Most of the time there's a negative reaction to something, I tend think it's an overreaction.

People seem to overreact most of the time. Lots of people carry a vested interest in everything that happens around them and get irate when things do not go their way, even in the overly-detailed and insignificant stuff that probably shouldn't matter.

Por ejemplo:

"Dammit! I said no pickles! GOD!!"

Nevermind that you just ordered for your entire family of 6 and had detailed and particular instructions that you kept changing around, and that no reasonable person should have been expected to keep all of that straight for you.

Let's face it. If it's not gonna matter a few years from now, you're probably overreacting.

gotta learn to let stuff go, man

I think an overreaction is impassioned willful ignorance whereas a passionate reaction is based upon a coherent argument.

I like this answer :popc1:

If you don't have good, solid reasoning that backs up the way you feel, then maybe you should reevaluate your feelings.

Take a step back. Take a breather. Think about the context of the situation and about others' perspectives. Don't just fly off the handle before you've counted to 10.

sorry I couldn't watch the video and answer in that context--my Flash audio is borked for some reason

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll consider it overreacting when i can tell that they do it for show and for effect...calculated almost and riding the emotional wave right into other people's states of mind. Though, like Heart said, doing it for kicks is really close up there for me.

I roll my eyes at people who get themselves deliberately hyped up, but those that do it for effect and show are worse still imo, than those that do it to release something and coz they enjoy it. At least the latter isn't consciously trying to influence others, just themselves, whereas the first is going for mass effect.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I agree. I feel your pain about 'drama' attention whoring.

In the case of this video, looking at the topic discussed at the beginning and the message it conveys, seems as though Fergie acted out of passion:
1. Considering the fact that she is an artist.
2. Considering the fact that her beliefs about technology taking over the music industry/replacing human talent violates her value system,
3. I would say her response to walking out with the statement about not being a 'robot' is a fed up one.

I guess overreaction would depend on context. If I had my career and passions replaced by a machine, I'd be kinda annoyed too (especially since the music industry nowadays seems to be more in control by bean counters).

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
What Mister Eyebrows said.

People make such a big deal of stuff, and it's like, life goes on, man.

I didn't watch the video, nor will I. To borrow a word from Shaq, that group is horri-awful.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That's what I thought when you vowed never to return to Vent after we made accounts there instead of all guest logins.

G

garbage

owned

no, wait, the other thing

boring + pointless interpersonal drama

Also: people slip up.. we all have values and ideals that we won't always live up to

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm just trying to get him back in Vent, I don't know nothin' 'bout no interpersonal drama.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm just trying to get him back in Vent, I don't know nothin' 'bout no interpersonal drama.

Awwww...I miss Vent! :wubbie:

Yes, I was mad that you made it so my son couldn't have his own account and that I couldn't come in under funny aliases I made up like "Creepy Stalker" and "HeadofLettuce111", but the truth is that I used that as a convenient excuse to force myself to go to bed earlier. And my body thanks me for it.

Vent is like crack, and I've been sober for a while now. The whole "I'm too stubborn to ask for a password" thing is like my crack dealer moving a few more blocks away and I don't want to walk that far so I just quit and now I'm a semi-productive member of society. ;)

If I could somehow use crack in moderation, I'd be all for it, but that's really tough.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That is fair enough. Carry on, Groucho. :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know when I am over reacting.

But if you see a fluffy teddybear and jump a tear in the universe out of joy, and don't find your reaction over reacting. Then whatev, I'm fine with it yo.

My space, your space. 's Cool.