• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where do you locate your seat of consciousness within your body?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I've always located it somewhere between my eyes, or even somewhere detached behind my head. How about you?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is what I always thought but I never really bothered checking up on it, since it seems of no importance, at least not through my reasoning.

I believe the so called seat of consciousness is your inner ears, or between the ears.

Wherever you hear from, that part of the brain, is the 'seat of consciousness'.

Consciousness is nothing more than imagined senses. And the one for thought, is the sense of hearing. Thus, it is imagined from the center of where we hear things.

P

Phantonym

The "seat of consciousness" has always been interesting to me because I can definitely "feel" it at the back of my head, in the center, just above the neckline. That is where I feel everything comes from. :D

The brain is the center, obviously. Eyes, ears, nose...that's how you are aware of what is surrounding you, that's how you define what you perceive. Hmmm...but who knows what is out there...maybe somebody can locate it in their pinky toe. Some people can "taste" with their feet...so why not become conscious of the taste like that. :thinking:

Edit: Haha. Ok. That's the medulla oblongata that deals with autonomic functions - breathing, heart rate and blood pressure. So, I would assume that at the moment I believe/imagine I am "deeply conscious", that's my heart rate and blood pressure going up. That's completely automatic, I wouldn't notice it at other times when I'm distracted by something and not particularly aware of it happening.

But who knows really...

Last edited:

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Feels like something like this atm

leftrightbrain2.jpg

brain2.jpg

brainvp.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think it's natural for people to place it in their head... because that is where we see, hear, taste, and smell things.
Only touch occurs all over the body.

IOW, every tracking mechanism we have is in our head; it's like that's the window we look out on the world from.
If our perceptions were more dispersed, maybe we'd have a less uniform answer.

Then again, some other cultures have placed the soul in other body parts besides the head or the heart, so...

B

beyondaurora

IOW, every tracking mechanism we have is in our head; it's like that's the window we look out on the world from.

Well put. :yes:

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I think it's natural for people to place it in their head... because that is where we see, hear, taste, and smell things.
Only touch occurs all over the body.

Then again, some other cultures have placed the soul in other body parts besides the head or the heart, so...

From some of the literature I've been reading, the most common human experience is for the "heart" (actually, a ring of ganglia in the center of the chest) to be the subjectively perceived seat of one's consciousness, with the perceiving organs of the head understood as an extension of this. I find that interesting, because it would make sense outside of understanding the brain to be the center of cognition.

In fact, it sort of illustrates how random and accidental evolution can be - why would the brain, one of the more immediately vital organs in the body, be placed in such a relatively exposed and vulnerable position? Wouldn't it make more sense to be in a safer and more protected area?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From some of the literature I've been reading, the most common human experience is for the "heart" (actually, a ring of ganglia in the center of the chest) to be the subjectively perceived seat of one's consciousness, with the perceiving organs of the head understood as an extension of this. I find that interesting, because it would make sense outside of understanding the brain to be the center of cognition.

In fact, it sort of illustrates how random and accidental evolution can be - why would the brain, one of the more immediately vital organs in the body, be placed in such a relatively exposed and vulnerable position? Wouldn't it make more sense to be in a safer and more protected area?

Did the nerves develop first, then the brain developed in proximity to the most areas of sensitive nerves of all types?

In some ways it might seem smarter to put the brain in the middle of the body... but I don't think things evolve like that. That's more the strategy one would use if there was an intelligent designer doing a blueprint of the finished work to begin with, then figuring out where the "safest place" for the nerve center would be in that finalized predesigned product.

In this case, the brain seems to be closest to the intersection of nerves that inadvertently specialized (sight, sound, taste, etc.) into something useful.

Evolution's funny. I think the optic nerves actually run into the eye and then back out than directly out from it; there's a huge chunk of creatures for which this is true ... but not all. Not exactly the best design, but you're stuck with it if it worked and if upgrades to that area did not offer any better survival odds.

Often between the ears.
Sometimes between the legs.

Well, only for about half of the human species. :alttongue:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I've read about this just recently too. According to Jung, ancient ("pre-philosophical") man localized his soul to the area of the diaphragm (in Greek means phren, or mind) and the heart. It was the first philosophers that identified reason and emotions to come from the head. Supposedly primitive peoples still "think with their hearts."

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But to answer your question, (good question, btw!) for me it is my solar plexus mostly.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Did the nerves develop first, then the brain developed in proximity to the most areas of sensitive nerves of all types?

In some ways it might seem smarter to put the brain in the middle of the body... but I don't think things evolve like that. That's more the strategy one would use if there was an intelligent designer doing a blueprint of the finished work to begin with, then figuring out where the "safest place" for the nerve center would be in that finalized predesigned product.

In this case, the brain seems to be closest to the intersection of nerves that inadvertently specialized (sight, sound, taste, etc.) into something useful.

Evolution's funny. I think the optic nerves actually run into the eye and then back out than directly out from it; there's a huge chunk of creatures for which this is true ... but not all. Not exactly the best design, but you're stuck with it if it worked and if upgrades to that area did not offer any better survival odds.

Yeah, precisely that. It kinda gets back to that thing tesla and I were arguing about a few weeks ago - traits aren't selected for, genes are selected against. If something's good enough, it sticks around.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've read about this just recently too. According to Jung, ancient ("pre-philosophical") man localized his soul to the area of the diaphragm (in Greek means phren, or mind) and the heart. It was the first philosophers that identified reason and emotions to come from the head. Supposedly primitive peoples still "think with their hearts."

Yup.

So why the solar plexus? A chunk of people don't even know what that is. (I can take some guesses, but it's more informative to have you explain. :) )

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50

I have a guess as to why this may be. "Reasoning" consciousness, that is, the one between your eyes, is the one that comes out when your body's spiked with norepinephrine. What that means is that since you're in a life-or-death situation, your sensing organs take much higher precedence in your cognitive prioritization scheme. Because of this, your brain will focus on your head as being the most "you" part of your body.

"Emotional" consciousness, that is, the one in your heart, is the one that you're naturally attuned to when your body's spiked with oxytocin. The primary effect of this neurochemical is to make you feel relaxed and bonded with others. At this point, your mechanisms for social bonding, such as mirror neurons and other functions, take the highest prioritization in your brain. Since an oxytocin flood is perceived more greatly in that ganglial ring in the center of one's body, your brain focuses on your heart as being the most "you" part of your body.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yup.

So why the solar plexus? A chunk of people don't even know what that is. (I can take some guesses, but it's more informative to have you explain. :) )

Surely everyone knows where your solar plexus is>? Okay, my gut, but high. When I feel bad, I feel sick there; and when I feel really good, I feel tension there; excitement. Sometimes that's how I can tell if something is bothering me; sometimes I don't know it until my body tells me, yet my Si is not my worst function, I don't think. Se is.

I have a guess as to why this may be. "Reasoning" consciousness, that is, the one between your eyes, is the one that comes out when your body's spiked with norepinephrine. What that means is that since you're in a life-or-death situation, your sensing organs take much higher precedence in your cognitive prioritization scheme. Because of this, your brain will focus on your head as being the most "you" part of your body.

But fight or flight infuses your limbs with adrenaline, which feels mightily powerful. I've never noticed that my head feels anything. You do? Furthermore, your heart is very sensitive to adrenaline, so you can immediately feel it beating harder and faster; so much so that you have to breathe harder and faster too.

"Emotional" consciousness, that is, the one in your heart, is the one that you're naturally attuned to when your body's spiked with oxytocin. The primary effect of this neurochemical is to make you feel relaxed and bonded with others. At this point, your mechanisms for social bonding, such as mirror neurons and other functions, take the highest prioritization in your brain. Since an oxytocin flood is perceived more greatly in that ganglial ring in the center of one's body, your brain focuses on your heart as being the most "you" part of your body.

The link between physical and psychical is intriguing for sure. Take the stomach. I've read that the stomach in animals is linked to the feeling of well-being through primitive mechanisms, perhaps a throw-back to stave off starvation. For example, babies like to nurse when they feel scared or bad or sick. Eating for many gives physical feelings of pleasure; hence one of the huge problems we have in our abundant culture; obesity.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Upon further reflection, I must add that when I am hard at thought, which I have been lately, I do things like cradle my head, close my eyes, stare off into space, and basically forget about my body. So I'd have to say in those times when I am 'thinking' I feel my consciousness in my head, no doubt. However, most of the time I feel it in my solar plexus, and this I attribute to my 'feeling' function, and it being superior to my thinking function, although my Fe and Te are nearly equal on functions tests, etc. I'm not sure where I feel my intuition working. Perhaps it's outside of me.........?

sculpting

Fun fact-your gut actually has more neurons than any other part of your body except your brain.

seat? With Te-directly behind my eyes. With Fi...

With Fi it starts in my palms, my chest, my neck, my mouth. Thus when I want to romantically connect with another, I have a distinct urge to taste them. ie-kissing. But my head sort of ends at my mouth. Yup. Weird.

As for evolution-all advanced animals exhibit bilateral symmetry. The question is-why was it not selected against?