• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

psychoanalyzing everyone

P

Phantonym

I don't think it's really a waste of time. It can be helpful, fascinating or amusing, trying to gain some insight to people's minds and into your own mind. Placing the pieces of the puzzle around and finding some use in that. It's a wonderful feeling when things seem to click.

But I think that it can also be dangerous in a way that all the things you come up with are really the result of your imagination going wild, even though there might be substantial evidence to base your assumptions on. You can be so wrong and lead yourself into more trouble than it's worth. And practicing your "skills" on other people, well, soon enough you might not have any close connections left to psychoanalyze.

So, it's like with everything else, do it in moderation but don't get too caught up in it, you might miss some imporatant things outside of that analysis mode and that would be a shame.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see it as a pathway to self-discovery.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I want to be psychoanalyzed!!! :D:D:D:D:D

KDude

if analysis leads to better listening, then maybe it's ok. it's generally not a good thing though if, like.... they don't even talk to you, but analyze from a distance.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I find that even if I don't come up with accurate answers about myself or others, I still benefit from trying to understand. MBTI is just theory and isn't always accurate but it at least leads to to ask some very honest questions about myself and others that I otherwise wouldn't have even thought of. Gaining insight doesn't always mean that you are getting all the right answers, it means that you are at least asking the right questions. The answers come with time. In fact, if you think you have yourself and everyone you know pegged down psycologically, then it's a sure sign that you don't. I would say, don't obsess over finding the right answers about who you and those around you truly are, just be open to the insights as they come.

Mole

Permabanned
To be psychoanalysed, all you need is a psychoanalyst.

KDude

Psychoanalysts don't necessarily listen either.

I was in rehab (drugs) once, and the first day I met a psychologist, he started.... well if i had to guess, he started "baby talking" me, and asking how much i masturbate. lol.. i swear. maybe it was because i looked young at the time, and had a bag of gummi bears on my night stand. who knows.. he might have had more problems than me. or maybe it was some radical new approach. i kicked him out, and put my foot down about talking to anyone for the rest of my stay. he never asked a thing.. and made some weird ass leap like that. for some reason.

not sure what my point is other than that professional psychoanalysis can be extremely useless as well.

Mole

Permabanned
Psychoanalysts don't necessarily listen either.

I was in rehab (drugs) once, and the first day I met a psychologist...

A psychoanalyst must first obtain a medical degree, then they are psychoanalysed themselves, then they practise psychoanalysis under supervision until they graduate.

A psychologist has no medical degree, has not been psychoanalysed, and has not been trained in psychoanalysis.

KDude

I didn't know that. Here, there's only... psychologists and psychiatrists. I think? Perhaps the rules are different in your country. All psychogists here are Phds however.. but I'm not sure if their degree falls under the category of "medical degree". Either way, they're not necessarily helpful. Sometimes just a friend willing to listen is as helpful as it gets.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I think it's haphazard/waste of time when there isn't an element of empathy, which often requires 'active' listening..

Kdude, sorry to hear that. Some psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers and counselors, people, for whatever reason, have a stick up their u know what because they get so entangled with the process of therapy that they forget to tailor the art of just being themselves. So this anal retentive process gets hindered by falsely analyzing other people's problems by projecting their own unresolved issues onto others.

I think there are great therapists/psychologists out there- especially working with child psychology, development/learning, cognitive/humanistic psychologists, and social workers, counselors who really do unerstand.

Then, there are one's like Dr. Phil, who actually lost his liscence for mal-proactice, but then maintains his entertainment biz, bc of pr. Anyway, deep listening/empathy are key in this kind of profession.. it's a huge part of validating people's experiences in order to get to the big picture in an unconditional/accepting kind of way.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Yup. I wouldn't mind being psychoanalyzed either. :D

Would you like me to send Hannibal Lecter to talk to you. When you can be analysed by a psycho.

_arquivo_hannibal_lecter-copy.jpg

T

ThatGirl

A psychoanalyst must first obtain a medical degree, then they are psychoanalysed themselves, then they practise psychoanalysis under supervision until they graduate.

A psychologist has no medical degree, has not been psychoanalysed, and has not been trained in psychoanalysis.

Psh...I don't have a medical degree.

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
it's just another thing to do in life................

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'd like to be analysed by a psycho! :D:D:D:D:D

Very well then, tell me about your child hood. Actually, scratch that, just tell me if you think your complexion would go better with lettice or tomato?

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
there are two types of minds. most are intrasocial, and act on impulses without question, and far fewer are intersocial and analyze their own impulses and those of others.

it is important to remember that it is not the impulse but what it creates which is good or evil. psychoanalysis, the study of impulses, is also an impulse just as you are seeing someone looking into a mirror when you look in the mirror.

the intersocial mind collects knowledge about people, and as we all know, knowledge is power. power is the mark of those who stand above the herd, and just as an impulse can create good or evil, people with such power can be heros or villians, influencing others to act on impulses which create good or evil. appearances are often deceiving and sometimes it is those who appear to be heros that are villians (far too many politicians) and villians that are are the [anti] hero. personally, I think man is ignorant (therefore weak) and far more often cannot resist corruption once they have power.

of course, [the greater] good always triumphs, so I consider it the sign of a winner. :)

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Very well then, tell me about your child hood. Actually, scratch that, just tell me if you think your complexion would go better with lettice or tomato?

I don't know, they both have warm colours, warm colours don't really suit me. Don't you have any blue veggies?