• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stereotypes: Based on fact or ignorance?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's claimed by some that: "All stereotypes are based on some truths or facts".

Personally I think that's a load of crap as I believe there are stereotypes that are based on nothing but ignorance or lack of understanding, but what say yee? Do you believe that all stereotypes are an exaggeration of some truth? Support your stance if you can.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
stereotypes are an instrument of fear. Just enough truth to work, not enough truth to be fair.

If you sit down and get to know a person, can you still apply that stereotype? Probably not as your understanding of that person widens way beyond that stereotype. Ask a person what their hopes and drams are, does the stereotype dissolve?

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Well, considering that it's a cold, hard fact that all black people eat chitlins and all Mexicans work construction, then I'd definitely say that at least some stereotypes are true...

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't believe in any purity, If that makes any sense. "based on some truths or facts"? the fact of opinion?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
durentu said:
stereotypes are an instrument of fear. Just enough truth to work, not enough truth to be fair.

If you sit down and get to know a person, can you still apply that stereotype? Probably not as your understanding of that person widens way beyond that stereotype. Ask a person what their hopes and drams are, does the stereotype dissolve?

Sure it's hard to apply a negative stereotype on a person that you get to know, especially if you like them.

But the question isn't are there people who don't fit a stereotype without invalidating the idea that there is some truth behind it ie "gay men are promiscuous", Bob is a gay man, Bob isn't promiscuous, George is also a gay man, George is a promiscuous manhoe. The stereotype in that case can fit your explanation of just enough truth to work and not enough truth to be fair, but what about all other stereotypes, do they all have truth behind it for it for all stereotypes to be considered based on some truth?

The claim I disagree with is "all stereotypes are based on some truth, or they wouldn't be stereotypes".

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Stereotypes are often distorted, but almost always based on real statistical rules. For example, if I say that Spaniards have dark hair it's false in the sense that not every single Spaniard has dark hair, but it is the general rule (less than 20% of Spaniards have fair hair), so statistically if you meet a Spaniard he's probably gonna have dark hair. Now, ideally one should judge people on their individual traits and merits, but if you don't know the people you're dealing with, statistical sorting tools are useful. For example, I'm not gonna venture into the Bronx alone and unarmed at midnight.

Stereotypes can go awry when the context is mangled, which often happens when one culture observes another. For example, Latin Americans shake hands any time they greet their friends, whereas North Americans shake hands during business meetings, or when they first meet. As a result, Latin Americans think North Americans are cold, and North Americans think Latin Americans are formal. The former stereotype has a grain of truth to it -- North America is a Germanic-dominated region after all -- but the latter does not.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We have to define what a Stereotype is. I believe it's suppose to be a neutral term. Is a split-second stereotype based on misunderstanding, a stereotype? "All stereotypes are based on some truths or facts". The problem is the "All". Stereotypes can be based on some truths or facts. But some can entirely be normal errors of understanding. for example, "Humans live forever" is a stereotype I developed when I was a kid. That's an error. But then the question is, does it count as a stereotype?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Both fact and ignorance. Ignoring some key parts of a fact usually.

KDude

I don't think ISFP or ESFP stereotypes are exactly like anything I do at least. TBH,the stereotypes kinda screw with my head, and I can't even type myself because of them :laugh:

A whole type couldn't be inclined to be wispy Peter Pan artistes, and a whole type couldn't be inclined to being an idiotic party animal. And besides that, just because you know some idiotic party animals, it doesn't mean they're ESFP either. I know some too, but when they're not partying, their personalities could be anything. Some may resemble ISFJ or ESTJ in their daily lives. Alcohol does funny things. :)

Iriohm

MBTI Type
INKP
Enneagram
5w4
I would say no. Some stereotypes are, tis true, but the most harmful (i.e. the most stereotypical, pun intended maybe) are often based more on observation than fact, but that's already been said.

Hmm...what do...got it. The answer is still "no". The only thing limiting stereotype's adherence to fact is the creativity of the stereotyper, which, if I may be so bold, is often...lacking.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Stereotypes are often distorted, but almost always based on real statistical rules.

Almost always, isn't the same as always. I agree that many stereotypes are based on something real and adds to the reason people believe it, but not always. I think the next part is why:

Stereotypes can go awry when the context is mangled, which often happens when one culture observes another.

If a stereotype isn't relevant to us, or people we know, it's based on assumptions which can easily be distorted and misunderstood. Hence why a stereotype could have no factual base at all.

We have to define what a Stereotype is. I believe it's suppose to be a neutral term. Is a split-second stereotype based on misunderstanding, a stereotype? "All stereotypes are based on some truths or facts". The problem is the "All". Stereotypes can be based on some truths or facts. But some can entirely be normal errors of understanding. for example, "Humans live forever" is a stereotype I developed when I was a kid. That's an error. But then the question is, does it count as a stereotype?

I don't consider that a stereotype, more an individuals personal view, if a view is held by an individual it's more a bias/belief/judgement etc.

I'd go with: "A stereotype is a commonly held public belief about specific social groups, or types of individuals"

Both fact and ignorance. Ignoring some key parts of a fact usually.

Always?

I would say no. Some stereotypes are, tis true, but the most harmful (i.e. the most stereotypical, pun intended maybe) are often based more on observation than fact, but that's already been said.

I'd agree with you. I think there are also stereotypes that are based on a lack of observation which leads to the commonly held view of A being associated with B and turned into a stereotype because people don't understand the difference and B is seen more often.

Which leads onto the next question of why would someone want to strictly believe that all stereotypes are based on some truth?

KDude

lol so this is about stereotypes in general..... :doh: sorry about the little SFP crusade above..

ok, so... there's a stereotype of asian men having small dicks, for example. or being pushovers and overly "polite". not true in the slightest, because if anyone said that, i'd shove my dick up their ass. now first of all, it'd be big enough for them to feel and probably cry about - second, most people would agree that assraping someone isn't a very "polite" thing to do. on top of that, i wouldn't be the pushover in that situation.

if you don't like the vulgarity, sorry. just trying to make a point. which is "welcome to the real world. stereotypes don't exist here."

p.s. i also suck at math and ping pong.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sure it's hard to apply a negative stereotype on a person that you get to know, especially if you like them.

But the question isn't are there people who don't fit a stereotype without invalidating the idea that there is some truth behind it ie "gay men are promiscuous", Bob is a gay man, Bob isn't promiscuous, George is also a gay man, George is a promiscuous manhoe. The stereotype in that case can fit your explanation of just enough truth to work and not enough truth to be fair, but what about all other stereotypes, do they all have truth behind it for it for all stereotypes to be considered based on some truth?

The claim I disagree with is "all stereotypes are based on some truth, or they wouldn't be stereotypes".

ah ok. Then I would say that you have a mistake there. The correct a phrase is:

"all stereotypes are based on some opinion, or they wouldn't be stereotypes"

Of course opinion and truth are of different caliber. And to me, truth depends on how many people agree to that opinion. This also includes the hard sciences (yes, science can be wrong and has been wrong many times)

So to characterize a stereotype based on some fundamental truth, no matter how minuscule it is, is a misplacement and a misthought. It's ultimately an opinion, it's true for at least one person and one perspective.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
based on facts and ignorance

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd go with: "A stereotype is a commonly held public belief about specific social groups, or types of individuals"

"All stereotypes are based on some truths or facts."

"based on some truths or facts." Is common belief from observation fact?

Fact/Truth is a flexible term. Is there Fact in anything? What is Fact?

Example:

"White Americans are pale-skinned." Does this stereotype qualify as based on fact? How is anything "based on some facts."?

ah ok. Then I would say that you have a mistake there. The correct a phrase is:

"all stereotypes are based on some opinion, or they wouldn't be stereotypes"

Of course opinion and truth are of different caliber. And to me, truth depends on how many people agree to that opinion. This also includes the hard sciences (yes, science can be wrong and has been wrong many times)

So to characterize a stereotype based on some fundamental truth, no matter how minuscule it is, is a misplacement and a misthought. It's ultimately an opinion, it's true for at least one person and one perspective.

Well said.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Well, it really depends on what type of stereotype you're offering.

If it's rooted in, say, some observed phenomenon (as in "men are physically stronger than women", or "women typically have more fat on their bodies than men"), I think it's not as much a statement of generalization as it is a pronouncement of observed fact - in this case, empirical biology.
When you're diagramming behavioral patterns in human behavior (say, "fat people eat more than do skinny people", or "women gossip more than men"), you're dealing with a subjective framework that doesn't necessarily encompass your offered data sets. Instead it deals more with an impression of personal opinion, and is probably of little real statistical value.

Consequently, it's not always accurate to presume that overweight people consume more than do their non-overweight counterparts. Or, that men gossip less than women. On the other hand, it is reasonable to assume that men invariably maintain an advantage in physical strength or that women have a higher concentration of fat cells in their bodies.

The difference is in how/where you compile your data. If you're using credible resources, your statements are less likely to be a problem.

As a final note, tact is helpful - how you state your opinions is often as important as the data itself.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Of course opinion and truth are of different caliber. And to me, truth depends on how many people agree to that opinion.

Argumentum ad populum.
Nothing to do with truth. Earth didn't suddenly become a sphere when people stopped believing it was flat. The masses just became a little wiser.
Well, it really depends on what type of stereotype you're offering.

If it's rooted in, say, some observed phenomenon (as in "men are physically stronger than women", or "women typically have more fat on their bodies than men"), I think it's not as much a statement of generalization as it is a pronouncement of observed fact - in this case, empirical biology.

Disagree. Such 'observed facts' are still subjective. Still rooted in personal, rather than global experience. Still coloured by disorders of perception.

As soon as something becomes not mere personal (or collective) observation and conjecture; as soon as it becomes verifiable and indisputable fact; it is simply true - the label of stereotype no longer applies. Therefore, if something remains a mere stereotype, it is unlikely to be true.

To believe that a stereotype must have a grain of truth because it is a stereotype (the old "no smoke without fire" reasoning) is as mindless and infantile as to believe that all advertising claims are true, because they are adverts. Scratch a stereotype and find agenda, propaganda, prejudice and ignorance.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Where there's smoke, there's fire.
I don't necessairly hold with this a) because it could dry ice instead
b) some things smoke more than really burn
My points being a) it's a misrepensentation of facts or commonly observed pheonomena
b) it may have been true in an isolated area, or in the past (the igition point so to speak) but either the fuel is wet or insubstantial, so it's not so true now.
However, I'm more inclined to accept stereotypes, often subconsciously, if I have observed them to be true in my experience.
Some people have the need to catagorise.
I also tender up this forum and it's subject matter, as a study in the belief of stereotypes. I would have a hard time believing a large majority of you don't steorotype. You do it as interest. I do note there are exceptions, those who are anti-typology(of any kind), but MBTI isn't recognised as fact, is it? It's a rather useful working guide you throw out the window, when it stops being of use.
Steroetyping really is a working guide that you throw out once you have more concrete input (or have a new method of operating), so it's born of ignorance (or help the ignorant). It becomes destructive when it's clung to, and misrepresented as fact, when really it stopped being useful along time ago, and some body forgot to update the working guide.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Disagree. Such 'observed facts' are still subjective. Still rooted in personal, rather than global experience. Still coloured by disorders of perception.

As soon as something becomes not mere personal (or collective) observation and conjecture; as soon as it becomes verifiable and indisputable fact; it is simply true - the label of stereotype no longer applies. Therefore, if something remains a mere stereotype, it is unlikely to be true.

To believe that a stereotype must have a grain of truth because it is a stereotype (the old "no smoke without fire" reasoning) is as mindless and infantile as to believe that all advertising claims are true, because they are adverts. Scratch a stereotype and find agenda, propaganda, prejudice and ignorance.

No - the perspectives I offered/you quoted are not rooted in subjective experience.

Biologically, women have a higher concentration of fat cells than do men, on average between 6-11% more. To my other point, men are innately physically stronger than women. This is owed to increased production of testosterone.

It's just science, blue. Adding qualitative measurement outside of data context is a perceptual invention. There are some absolutes.

As far as your remaining points, I have no idea what you're referring to. You aren't elucidating on anything I've so far offered.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Not to inject type where it may not be applicable, because it's known that it's used for far too much here, but I wonder if there's a correlation between the validity of stereotypes vs. judging orientations. For a Ti user, truth is usually axiomatic and tends to be considered as absolute. Like MLF says, the earth was always round, if something is not ALWAYS true, then it is not true. For the Te user, something is true if it can be functionally applied in a correct manner, ie, statistically. No idea. This came to me before my first cup of coffee. I might even be dreaming, there is a unicorn standing next to me.

Anyways. I do think stereotypes can be easily misused [obviously], but they're a tool. Like Night says, how one uses the tool is extremely important and the credibility of the observation being applied to a group is paramount in the stereotype's validity. I do wonder though, is a stereotype not a fact just because it's applied to people and not to something else?