• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What mental condition are you?

93JC

Is awesomeness a mental condition? 'Cause I'm awesome.

Or maybe I have problems with self-delusion, I don't know.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I took a test once and it said anti-social disorder.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Much to my expectation most people on the forum have, or find it easy to identify themselves with, different mental conditions.

Could there be a self-fulfilling prophecy in this? Meaning that when you think you suffer from something you actually are more likely to get it? It's an established fact that the mind has huge power over how the body works (the placebo effect for instance). Could just brining down the number of diagnoses in society actually bring down the number of mental disorders?

What do you mean here? That there is absolutely no chance of anyone of the forum having an extra 21 chromosome? Mental and physical functioning isn't always damaged that much.

You're right, I was making an assumption and there may definitely be people with 47 chromosomes around here. But realistically, I dare say that there aren't any.

man

MBTI Type
IntP
Enneagram
=)
I'm an optimist! =)

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Much to my expectation most people on the forum have, or find it easy to identify themselves with, different mental conditions.
No, just the people on the forum who answered the question 'What mental condition are you?' Surely that would be much to anyone's expectation.

Mole

Permabanned
OE

OE or over-excitable.

OEs have a high response to stimulae of all kinds.

My friends say my life is never boring as I invest the most mundane event with excitement and significance.

It is very nice though to meet another OE as we flow together like water.

The downside is I don't want to spend too much time with the normally excited. And the normally excited find it hard to see what I am excited about.

Probably the worst is when I suppress my excitement to please my parents, authority figures or peers. It's like I am strangling myself. But sadly I have learnt to suppress my excitement in the interests of survival.

So here I am - my excitement survives - a fragile reed trembling in the current.

Mole

Permabanned
Not the Messiah, just a naughty boy

What mental condition are you?

There are positive mental conditions and negative mental conditions. And it is interesting that the negative mental conditions are described in psychiatric terms. But there does not seem to be a corresponding set of mental conditions described in positive terms.

It reminds me of advertising where they mention what is wrong with you and in the next breath tell you what to buy in order to fix it.

In this case they describe your mental condition pejoratively then prescribe a therapy, quite often drugs.

What suckers we are for the advertisers and pharmaceutical companies who tell us we are bad and how to be good. And we all want to be good, don't we?

Thomas Szasz in his books, "The Myth of Mental Illness", and, "The Manufacture of Madness", saw through this.

But Thomas is just a naughty boy.