• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Silly Therapy (tm)

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, trademarked!

Too serious? I have a cousin (and now a friend/girl I'm seeing) who I consider too serious. Both identify with being J, which makes sense. I'm noticed that they take their successes and failures very seriously. They're very serious about work and about being slighted by others, however slightly. My cousin especially (INFJ) is very serious about her relationships and about her reputation. I think the reason why serious people are serious is partly learned, and party because they need to maintain control by monitoring themselves to avoid being hurt, rejected, or embarrassed by the judgments/evaluations of others (family, friends, cohorts, lovuhs). It sucks because these people lose their spontaneity and joie de vivre in the process which makes life beautiful and satisfying. Enter Silly Therapy (tm!).

The concept behind Silly Therapy (tm). Silly Therapy (tm) is a simple technique for learning how to give up control and break free of burdensome self-monitoring. All you have to do is act like a total ass and by really fucking silly. Silliness and seriousness are diametrically opposed, and being silly eats away at the core of seriousness which, in the end, is attachment.

But my serious friends are silly, Mr. Unlicensed Psychologist!
This is a common objection to which I am forced to distinguish between 2 types of silly: controlled silly and care-free silly. Controlled silly is intellectual in nature and has boundaries and restrictions. It's calculated silliness, which is the opposite of being silly, which is free of thought and calculation. Then there's care-free silliness, where you simply let yourself be silly without planning and without caring about how you're perceived.

The strategy here is to slowly incorporate (I like to frequently split infinitives, sorry) silliness into your life, starting with the most safe environment and transitioning into a more precarious environment.

Step 1 is to get silly in private. Walk around your apartment/house/castle and just be totally retarded. Sing an opera song. Do some voice impersonations. Talk to your self. As I advised a female friend yesterday, jump on the bed and slap your titties around. Can't believe I typed that. (lmao) I can't believe I said it yesterday, either. The more absurd the better. Hope that doesn't offend anyone (in which case, I'll just criticize you for being too serious, anyway).

Step 2
is to bring some silliness into your family and close friendships. Maybe create some terribly annoying laugh (worse than the one you already have). Start doing sound effects in their presence. Challenge family members to duels with carrot sticks and plates as shields. Pretend you're in a rap video. Ride an imaginary horse around the house and occasionally pet it and water it.

Step 3
is bringing silliness and light-heartedness into the most serious areas of your life. Perhaps it's your career, your parents, or your kids. Wink more often. Wink when it's inappropriate. Start making stupid bets about things. I've found that this takes a bit of courage, because often the other person is serious themselves, but silliness is highly contagious. It shouldn't be looked at as a chore, but something fun.

Thoughts? Pitfalls?

What do you do when you're being silly? Any ideas you'll like to add that I can steal and incorporate into Silly Therapy (tm) and not give you credit for?

lastrailway

I am not very sure what will one gain with the "Silly Therapy". I think people who are usually very serious have a tendency to think a lot all of their actions and criticise themselves about almost everything they've said/done. So this might make them feel they shouldn't have behaved in such a silly way, increase insecurities and second-guessing self and bring rather the opposite results.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
That's the point! They're slowly confronting their fear in a friendly, supportive, fun, unexpected, uncontrolled, humorous, spontaneous way.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I am not very sure what will one gain with the "Silly Therapy".

Yeah. The only one that gains is the silly friend who's persuading them to be sillier. You can't put yourself in the silly mindset just by doing absurd things.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You can't put yourself in the silly mindset just by doing absurd things.

Disagreed! If you're practicing controlled silliness, it's tricky. But if you really let yourself go, you can absolutely change your mindset. The physical actions are just vehicles to help you let go.

lastrailway

You can't put yourself in the silly mindset just by doing absurd things.

That's what I think. I can imagine some of the very serious people I know to do silly things, but I can guess that afterwards they will disapprove themselves.
I think (not sure of course) that being extremely serious to the point to not be able to allow yourself any "silly" moment is due to very low self esteem and deep insecurities, who might simply deepen by pressing one's self to engage to a behaviour that they think it makes them look "ridiculous".
On the other hand, I actually think this "therapy" could really help some people who are maybe very shy, but without really considering that they "have to" be serious.

pocket lint

MBTI Type
isxp
Any ideas you'll like to add that I can steal and incorporate into Silly Therapy (tm) and not give you credit for?

You should make a quiz to help people determine where they are on the seriousness---->silliness scale :D.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm far too silly to participate here. I'll just derail things.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I once made a joke while a house burned down with all my clothes inside.

I don't think that counts.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sure it does. It's not everyone who can stand outside naked and crack jokes.

Ok, naked would have been the last straw.

I was in my clothes, and came BACK to fire. On the side of a steep cold mountain. In pitch darkness. Plus, one of the neighbors look freakishly like the Edge, especially with his back to a wall of flame. I blurted, "So! When do we get the Survivor's tour?!"

I slept that night next door, with a giant mounted black boar's head glaring at me. To one side, another boar. Above me, a turkey head.

A turkey head. Someone stuffed a turkey head...

Drove home the next morning, smelling like perfume and smoke.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
LOL. Oberon, you would make a great silly therapist.

Swordfighting on the sidewalk with Boffo swords. Rolling around on a Swiss (Pilates) ball. Most activities done by 5 year-olds on the playground - sliding down slides, teeter-totter, swinging on a tire swing, etc.

Jae Rae

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think I could sign on as a Silly Therapist, personally.

What's the last silly thing you did?

I once made a joke while a house burned down with all my clothes inside.

I don't think that counts.

What was the joke, Pinko?

I already told my mom the joke I'm going to (re)reveal on her death bed.

Edahn: Knock knock.
My mom: *looks puzzled*
Edahn: Say "who's there?"
Mom: Oh, sorry! "Who's there?"
Edahn: DEATH!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
LOL!! Edahn, you ghoul!! Leave your mother alone! *smacks your arm* Shame on you!!

Edit: I can't remember the joke. It was mostly, "Sooo... all my stuff's in there. How about you?" or "Anyone got marshmellows?"

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Look at that innocent face. With the crazed gleam. And menacing hands. Yes, very innocent...

FOR A GHOUL!!!

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Edit: I can't remember the joke. It was mostly, "Sooo... all my stuff's in there. How about you?" or "Anyone got marshmellows?"

:rofl1: Depending how serious the others were, I'd think you were lucky not to be tossed into the fire, pink.

Edahn, if seriousness is learnt, and you're trying to relax that attachment with silliness, isn't it a rather serious endeavour for silliness? :huh:

Silliest thing I did yesterday: Logging into the chat and getting so wrapped up in it I only had 3 hours of sleep. And posting now at work. :sleeping:

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:rofl1: Depending how serious the others were, I'd think you were lucky not to be tossed into the fire, pink.

The homeowner (an ISTJ) started it!

Edahn, if seriousness is learnt, and you're trying to relax that attachment with silliness, isn't it a rather serious endeavour for silliness? :huh:

Yes! Answer the lady's question, Edahn! :p

Silliest thing I did yesterday: Logging into the chat and getting so wrapped up in it I only had 3 hours of sleep. And posting now at work. :sleeping:

We were glad to have you. :yes: