• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"People are stupid"?

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Someone told me yesterday that they don't like being around people, because almost all people are stupid and don't think for themselves.

What's up with that? Is it a type-related thing? Or something else?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Frustrated intellectuals rationalize their social incapability with that line. I don't know if I can say I am completely free of that kind of thinking, but I am getting better... I'd guess you will find that attitude among introverted intuitives more than the rest of the people.

EDIT: I guess I will never escape the attitude that people as a mass will do idiotic things without stopping to consider what it is that they really want. But if I didn't see that I like and need people I would have done the same thing, I would have run along with my theories and not stopped to feel that I cannot go on without people.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
Thank you, nolla -- "frustrated intellectual" is a possibility. And "introverted intuitive" might fit the person. I couldn't figure out anything to google, and I'm usually Great with Google. Typing in "don't like people" certainly didn't do the trick. And I found that many descriptions of introversion stress that 'introverts don't like people' is a myth.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
And I found that many descriptions of introversion stress that 'introverts don't like people' is a myth.

Yeah, it is a myth, if taken literally. The introverts are, in my opinion, more likely to be awkward socially and introverted intuitives are more likely to dismiss the reality and go into their head and rationalize their shortcomings. So, it seems like the combination that would tend to come to the conclusion that people are stupid. It is not that the person wouldn't like people if they could get close to them, but he is afraid of that so he needs to explain this to himself in a way that takes the responsibility away from him. "It is not my fault, but theirs".

I couldn't figure out anything to google, and I'm usually Great with Google. Typing in "don't like people" certainly didn't do the trick.

Have you tried "antisocial personality disorder"? I don't think that's what you are looking for, necessarily, but you might as well check it out...

KDude

Sometimes I'm in agreement with the sentiment, and offer my sympathy if someone points out some reasons that are bothering them. I'd like to think it's just venting... and sometimes people should just let it all out when venting. If someone made a habit out of really believing all or most people suck though, then it's a problem.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
My friend says that too. I called her on it and she pointed out to me that most people are actually not that intelligent. I don't really know if I agree because I haven't really gotten "into it" with other people sufficient to evaluate their intellect, but I do find it a little hard to connect to people. I'm usually forced to shut that part of my personality down.

Example: I was at a party tonight and people were socially stroking each other, saying shit that wasn't funny and laughing and making eye contact to make sure everyone else was laughing. I automatically think people like that are alien beings who live without really contemplating things and feel like an outsider. I haven't determined if that thinking is accurate or healthy.

KDude

Lol.. Well, I'm laughing more at that. Making eye contact to reassure themselves, I mean. I actually would have laughed at the absurdity probably.. I love seeing awkward shit like that.

Umm, were they under some pressure to social stroke and over please to the point of laughing at bad jokes? Is something at stake? Or was it just a party?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Lol.. Well, I'm laughing more at that. Making eye contact to reassure themselves, I mean. I actually would have laughed at the absurdity probably.. I love seeing awkward shit like that.

Umm, were they under some pressure to social stroke and over please to the point of laughing at bad jokes? Is something at stake? Or was it just a party?

Just a party, but I think most people interact this way. At least, most people in LA. They laugh to avoid social friction and seriousness. It really bothers me, but I don't say anything.

KDude

Just a party, but I think most people interact this way. At least, most people in LA. They laugh to avoid social friction and seriousness. It really bothers me, but I don't say anything.

Ah..

I try to avoid friction and seriousness too, but like I said, I'm well aware of the lameness there. In that respect, I'm no different than you. The thing is, I can't help but laugh. :) I guess, in my own way, by laughing, I'm a critic about some of the lame things I see people do,but I'm not a very serious one. Not sure if my approach is right, but don't let it bring you down too much.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
was it a bitter, warped, late teen/early twentysomething who rarely gets a date or gets laid? :huh:

if so, I think the answer should be clear! :)

(those are the usual suspects for being misanthropic little pricks)

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
nolla, yes I did look up various psychological classifications, disorders and such. I didn't see anything that fit or gave me any clues.

KDude, thank you, the person was venting at the time, stressed or frustrated about two separate issues, so maybe talking about not wanting to be around people because they're stupid is a way that person vents. And it goes along with a political view of (USA) society going down the tubes (which could be accurate enough, and threatens personal quality of life, and could be said to be caused by the actions of 'stupid' people).

xNTP and KDude, laughing to avoid social friction is a social mammal thing, right? Like chimps do, or wolves -- a submissive thing in the presence of an alpha. Or at least it's possible to look at what you described that way, that the people at the party were doing what comes naturally, doing the social appeasement work necessary to hang on to or uphold their place in the pack.

They're functioning effectively -- it's really not possible for people to live alone, as 'it takes a village' to raise children (to support and protect new mothers), etc.

Which brings me to something else I've wondered, and since this thread is already wandering, I'll wander further. People like Gandhi will spend time around an 'alpha' and not do the submissive thing, which shocks the alpha and the people watching. The same thing happens when someone stands up for an ideal in a workplace. Someone 'thinking for themselves' and taking a stand on an issue usually shocks people.

It's hard to think of Gandhi as an alpha himself, and it's hard to think of the one standing for a principal in a workplace as an alpha. Their behavior isn't a domination thing -- or is it? It certainly is a refusal to be dominated.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, let's face it! Most people ARE stupid! :D

But I'm cool with it as long as it doesn't effect me in some ill way. After all, if people weren't stupid, who would provide the entertainment?

Hell, half the time I'm stupid, too. :devil:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
People like Gandhi will spend time around an 'alpha' and not do the submissive thing, which shocks the alpha and the people watching. The same thing happens when someone stands up for an ideal in a workplace. Someone 'thinking for themselves' and taking a stand on an issue usually shocks people.

It's hard to think of Gandhi as an alpha himself, and it's hard to think of the one standing for a principal in a workplace as an alpha. Their behavior isn't a domination thing -- or is it? It certainly is a refusal to be dominated.

Oh, that is an interesting thought/question... I don't know if it is a refusal to be dominated. I think such a person sees the game for what it is and doesn't approve or disapprove it, he just drops out of it. If someone wants to "dominate", I bet an enlightened person would not make a point to not be dominated. But if he needed to get something done, he would not let the alpha male stand in his way.

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
was it a bitter, warped, late teen/early twentysomething who rarely gets a date or gets laid? :huh:

if so, I think the answer should be clear! :)

(those are the usual suspects for being misanthropic little pricks)

:) No, not a single one of those things! The person has a balanced view of their past (which has included intimate relationships), is glad to have a good career, and enjoys hobbies. Not bitter. I think I'm going to put their comment down to:

a frustrated intellectual who's venting.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
People do do some stupid things in their lives, hell, we all do. Thankfully, there are usually repercusions and we eventually learn not to. Take misanthropy for example... repercusion=> social isolation => depression. People aren't perfect and they never will be, and of course it's sad watching people learn something that you've already learned or consider obvious, like not crushing a piece of glass in your hand when you're wasted, or not beating your children.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Thankfully, there are usually repercusions and we eventually learn not to.

There are stupid things you can do that are rewarded in the kind of society we live in. These are the things that the "frustrated intellectual" would feel frustrated about.

KDude

Which brings me to something else I've wondered, and since this thread is already wandering, I'll wander further. People like Gandhi will spend time around an 'alpha' and not do the submissive thing, which shocks the alpha and the people watching. The same thing happens when someone stands up for an ideal in a workplace. Someone 'thinking for themselves' and taking a stand on an issue usually shocks people.

I didn't know that about Gandhi. I don't think he's being alpha himself. I think he's transcending just another form of, what he saw as, hostile interaction - albeit, this one is more casual and a little less harmless than what he usually dealt with. And yes, it's a refusal to be dominated, but non-violent resitance, as a philosophy, has broader goals than just a personal refusal to be dominated. He's critiquing a general lack of equality for everyone.

I would refuse to be dominated too, but it's personal. I'm not trying to stick up for everyone when I don't rever authority. I'm telling people they need to earn my respect or give me some reasons for it first. And some reasons are fairly apparent.. if they were already well known for something I admired, they'd get my respect. Maybe even an old person would get the benefit of the doubt too, even when they say something silly. :D

As for "alphas", no. I addressed this in another thread earlier. I don't even know what an alpha is half of time. Much of what gets passed off as one is ridiculous.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are stupid things you can do that are rewarded in the kind of society we live in. These are the things that the "frustrated intellectual" would feel frustrated about.

like what? I can see what you mean, but I can't think of anything that fits that description.

Snow Turtle

I don't believe it's really true at all. From my perspective, it's more to do with individuals who find it difficult to click with others than it being related to the other persons intelligence. Lots of people might have a lack of interest in their favourite topics, but that doesn't indicate a lack of intelligence at all. Then there are just people who don't really care to engage in debate and discussion, but once again... not a good indicator of intelligence.

I've no idea whether it's a myth or just stereotyping on my behalf, but group behaviour/thinking tends to be quite different from an individual person acting alone. It's almost like group behaviour promotes silly behaviour for social fluidness, but when you catch the person by themselves, suddenly it's completely different.

The amount of times I've thought to myself: Hmmm... That group seems really wild and silly and then thought... "Wait a second, don't I do that sometimes when I'm with my group of friends? Making pokemon related jokes and so fourth."

It does sound like your friend is observing people as a society thing. Then again maybe I'm just 'not intelligent' and therefore don't understand his problem. :)

LeafAndSky

MBTI Type
ISFP
like what? I can see what you mean, but I can't think of anything that fits that description.

Rewarded with money for doing something that's harmful to the environment?

Rewarded with a promotion for activities that harmed your co-workers and seriously damaged company morale, making people not want to do a good job at the company?

I guess, rewarded for short-term profits over longer-term stability.