• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Indirectly reading portions of text unconsciously

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have noticed a lot recently that I read things unconsciously.
I mean, I do not focus on reading a line, like I usually do.
In fact, it can be while I am focusing on reading another line,
and my unconscious mind has been reading the entire page already.
I do this a lot. Especially in the evenings when I feel the most awake and sort of quirky.
Don't get me wrong, it is not my attention that is drifting away reading other lines.
I get that sometimes, too, if I am distracted by something.
This crap is just creepy, sort of.

I don't realize this all the time, it is mostly when I think about something and pieces of information comes bubbling up after I have been reading a part of an article.
Now we are talking oddly specific stuff. Had it happening to me with a news article the other day, and then I knew it wasn't just me confusing things for something else or remembering wrong.
I have a 22" screen, and the article I read was in the dead center.
I later remembered the contents of a small article to the far right of the screen.
Went back and checked since I realized this half an hour later or so.
I never really directly read it. It's one of those women's columns that i'd not touch with a ten foot pole.
That's probably why it came floating up, since it wasn't really part of my mental habitat :D

Does this happen to anyone else?
Why does it happen? Physiological reasons? Psychological?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No one? Seriously?
Weird.

sculpting

There are some cognitive explanations for peripheral vs focused vision and what your brain is perceiving. Typically your brain has high color, focused vision in the center and B&W fuzzy vision to the sides-if I recall correctly which is questionable!

Anyways I read text in chunks-like about three lines at a time. As I focus on one line I am already seeing words from the lines above and below it, so I sort of hop through paragraphs, catching every third word. Yeah, Ne, filling in the blanks. This is bad though as I miss details.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It would be nice to learn how to do that consciously... Wouldn't have to move eyes when reading a book, but I think it is way too unconscious to really work. Maybe if the text was some sort of a flow of consciousness it might work...

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It would be nice to learn how to do that consciously... Wouldn't have to move eyes when reading a book, but I think it is way too unconscious to really work. Maybe if the text was some sort of a flow of consciousness it might work...

I know, it's disturbing to think about.
Are you doing this, too?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Are you doing this, too?

I think everyone is. Sometime when reading I lose my concentration as some word from the next line pops up in my mind and kinda messes up the sentence I was reading...

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
If you ever learn to speed read it involves a method of "taking a picture" of the page as you get faster and faster at it. I didn't actually like learning how to do it, so I stopped - it takes some of the fun out of reading.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
happens to me too sometimes. i've never though anything of it, though. i just figure i either guess what's coming, or have glanced at it before without really registering. (glance, continue reading and sort of guess what's in the middle... does this make sense?)

also i usually read in chunks anyway...

Lizbot

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I've only just noticed this myself, and it seems to have developed from a compulsion to read absolutely everything. I do it with the books I am reading, billboards, chalkboards, newspapers, etc. It slightly explains the superfluous information in my brain and the odd looks I get from people on public transportation. It appears I've been reading their newspapers and what not from across the way.

I think my ability/need to read as such is psychological though. It was once an unconscious compulsion, and I've only just begun to notice it more and more.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you ever learn to speed read it involves a method of "taking a picture" of the page as you get faster and faster at it. I didn't actually like learning how to do it, so I stopped - it takes some of the fun out of reading.

I have noticed a lot recently that I read things unconsciously.
I mean, I do not focus on reading a line, like I usually do.
In fact, it can be while I am focusing on reading another line,
and my unconscious mind has been reading the entire page already.
I do this a lot. Especially in the evenings when I feel the most awake and sort of quirky.
Don't get me wrong, it is not my attention that is drifting away reading other lines.
I get that sometimes, too, if I am distracted by something.
This crap is just creepy, sort of.

I don't realize this all the time, it is mostly when I think about something and pieces of information comes bubbling up after I have been reading a part of an article.
Now we are talking oddly specific stuff. Had it happening to me with a news article the other day, and then I knew it wasn't just me confusing things for something else or remembering wrong.
I have a 22" screen, and the article I read was in the dead center.
I later remembered the contents of a small article to the far right of the screen.
Went back and checked since I realized this half an hour later or so.
I never really directly read it. It's one of those women's columns that i'd not touch with a ten foot pole.
That's probably why it came floating up, since it wasn't really part of my mental habitat :D

Does this happen to anyone else?
Why does it happen? Physiological reasons? Psychological?

I "learned how" to speed read from some books (ironic i guess). I would say what YLJ describes is more like autistic savants that can read a page a second by scanning. They seem to have a direct access to their memory, but they cant really process what they've read/remembered.

T

ThatGirl

I realized a while ago that I read as many lines are in my field of vision. The average is three depending how far away I hold the book.

It isn't so much that I am reading them, as it is I am recognizing the words and how they relate to the actual sentence I am reading.

Just general association stuff, but I have noticed it gives me a broader understanding of the content.