• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hypothetically if..

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
What an interesting comment coming from an alleged "social worker."

Quite. Very interesting. But here's something that is not hypothetical...

Northern Ireland Social Care Council: Codes of Practice for Social Care Workers and Employers of Social Care Workers
1.5 Promoting equal opportunities for service users and carers;

1.6 Respecting diversity and different cultures and values

5.8 Behave in a way, in work or outside work, which would call into question your suitability to work in social care services.

Source: http://www.niscc.info/content/uploads/downloads/registration/Codes_of_Practice.pdf

I work in social services...

I'll be honest with you, if my brother was homosexual he'd not be invited if he had a partner with him, not to my house or I suspect my parents house...

:shock:

Jaguar

Quite. Very interesting. But here's something that is not hypothetical...
Northern Ireland Social Care Council: Codes of Practice for Social Care Workers and Employers of Social Care Workers

I wonder what the Social Care Council thinks of homophobia. :thinking:

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Lark said:
My work is a waste of time and I carry a lot of losers who dont deserve it but it pays. Wish I could win the lottery.

Lark said:
I work in social services...

I'll be honest with you, if my brother was homosexual he'd not be invited if he had a partner with him, not to my house or I suspect my parents house...
:shocking:
I think I just lost a little faith in humanity.
Why in the world would you pick a low-paying career in Social Services if you hate people? Use some financial wisdom and go into politics or something...at least people expect bigotry from them!

Marcia

MBTI Type
ISTP
But if you do believe they have a medical condition and feel sympathy for them, wouldn't you hesitate about giving them a drug that will further their addiction? In your post you suggest that if they buy better booze, that's a good outcome. I'm not so sure I agree that that outcome is an expression of sympathy.

Please. Of course it's a good outcome. If the guy is an alcoholic he's going to drink until he dies. The money I give him won't make a jot of difference, except for the fact that it'll buy him some better quality booze for a little while. It won't change his life expectancy, or his chances of getting off the street. Only he can do that. My sympathy for him is worth nothing unless he decides for himself to do something about his condition.

If he had any family, I'd consider giving the money to them in the hopes that they would use it to take care of him. I don't think I'd refer him to a social worker though... I hear social workers are a bunch of fakes.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Please. Of course it's a good outcome. If the guy is an alcoholic he's going to drink until he dies. The money I give him won't make a jot of difference, except for the fact that it'll buy him some better quality booze for a little while. It won't change his life expectancy, or his chances of getting off the street. Only he can do that. My sympathy for him is worth nothing unless he decides for himself to do something about his condition.

Yeah, i think your one of the good guys here, i didn't mean to offend you in my post, i was arguing with assumption rather than you personally. Also i think your response was fairly light hearted and not meant to be taken as gospel.

If he had any family, I'd consider giving the money to them in the hopes that they would use it to take care of him. I don't think I'd refer him to a social worker though... I hear social workers are a bunch of fakes.

Well there is certainly one social worker here who is a complete fake. My skin crawls when i think of this person having responsibility for the welfare of people less able to take care of themselves. Something really should be done about it. Seriously.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Please. Of course it's a good outcome. If the guy is an alcoholic he's going to drink until he dies.

So I take it the words "rehab" and "recovering" are not in your vocabulary?

The money I give him won't make a jot of difference, except for the fact that it'll buy him some better quality booze for a little while. It won't change his life expectancy, or his chances of getting off the street.

This is like saying "my vote doesn't count because the winner will win by millions of votes." If everyone bands together and pays attention to how their behavior and decisions affect others, then they do make a difference.

Only he can do that. My sympathy for him is worth nothing unless he decides for himself to do something about his condition.

I disagree for the above reason. I'm curious, though, if your sympathy is worthless to him, what's the point?

Social-worker stereotypes aside, the other solution is to just buy him food instead of giving him money.

Marcia

MBTI Type
ISTP
So I take it the words "rehab" and "recovering" are not in your vocabulary?

They are; I believe I used the term "rehab facility" in my earlier post. Perhaps in your haste to antagonize me, you didn't read it properly.

This is like saying "my vote doesn't count because the winner will win by millions of votes." If everyone bands together and pays attention to how their behavior and decisions affect others, then they do make a difference.

The original question had nothing to do with banding together. It was about the actions of one person.

I'm curious, though, if your sympathy is worthless to him, what's the point?

None that I know of.

Social-worker stereotypes aside, the other solution is to just buy him food instead of giving him money.

Yes, you could do that too. It would be just as inconsequential.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Or this...
:thinking:

I looked at these quotes and I thought to myself, "Wouldn't a Te dom be a little more motivated to do something else if he hated it so much and it didn't pay well?"

I mean, he could certainly find something more suitable. Take contract killing for example.

Jaguar

I looked at these quotes and I thought to myself, "Wouldn't a Te dom be a little more motivated to do something else if he hated it so much and it didn't pay well?"

I mean, he could certainly find something more suitable. Take contract killing for example.

Click their profile/About me. :thinking:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, you could do that too. It would be just as inconsequential.

How do you know that? How do you know that every homeless person is an alcoholic or an addict? Because that's certainly a false assumption right there.

And even if this individual was in fact an addict, you can't possibly assume it's "inconsequential." I happen to know someone who used to be a severe drug addict who has been clean for two years. At one point she was so low she was actually a street walker.

Kindness and food can make a difference in someone's life, even if you refuse to give them money for good reasons. Even if you aren't a person who takes joy or concern in alleviating human suffering for it's own sake, at least be rational enough to understand that feeding a homeless person isn't necessarily "inconsequential."

Marcia

MBTI Type
ISTP
How do you know that? How do you know that every homeless person is an alcoholic or an addict? Because that's certainly a false assumption right there.

I never said that every homeless person is an alcoholic. You have not read my posts. I said that most homeless MEN are alcoholics, and that's not an assumption, it's general knowledge.

And even if this individual was in fact an addict, you can't possibly assume it's "inconsequential." [...] Kindness and food can make a difference in someone's life, even if you refuse to give them money for good reasons.

The question was, would you give this person money. That was the question. The question was not, would you show this person kindness. I can do that without money. The question was about MONEY. I am being persecuted for answering the question as it was worded. If you wish to ask a separate question, then go ahead and do so. Ask, "would you show kindness to a homeless person?" My answer to your question is, yes of course. I do it all the time. I would not, however, show kindness to you. I would show you my fist.

Even if you aren't a person who takes joy or concern in alleviating human suffering for it's own sake, at least be rational enough to understand that feeding a homeless person isn't necessarily "inconsequential."

You don't know me. I work at a food bank for christ's sake. How dare you pronounce judgement on me just to aggrandize yourself?

I never said, "feeding a homeless person is inconsequential." You saw the words "food" and "inconsequential" and you immediately assumed that's what I meant. Someone else suggested that instead of giving money to the homeless person, why not use the money to buy him a meal. I agreed with him, but pointed out that whether you give him cash or a meal (both of which are charitable), either way, it's not going to help with his addiction. If you think he's suddenly going to turn his life around just because you bought him a meal, then I give up.

That being said, of course homeless people are better off if they have a place where they can get food on a regular basis. Any idiot knows that. The original question was not, "If you had tons of cash, would you donate some of it to open a soup kitchen for the homeless in your area?" It was, "If you had tons of cash, would you give money to a homeless man?" These are two different questions. I can't believe I had to explain that to you. Are you 12 years old?

Jaguar

Ask, "would you show kindness to a homeless person?" My answer to your question is, yes of course. I do it all the time. I would not, however, show kindness to you. I would show you my fist.

In this forum, members do not suggest violence with their fist toward another member.
Back off.

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I never said that every homeless person is an alcoholic. You have not read my posts. I said that most homeless MEN are alcoholics, and that's not an assumption, it's general knowledge.

General knowledge? How exactly does *general knowledge* come about? Through some sort of research? Word of mouth? Television programs? Church? PSA's?

*General knowledge* = widespread assumption unless you have something to back it up.

I didn't notice your little *comment* until it was highlighted, and after that, forget I said a word. I have no desire to converse with anyone who threatens physical violence toward KITTENS, for Christ's sake.
Moving on...:

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I immediately want to say no.. My hand-out is a temporary fix to a long-term problem..

... But sometimes temporary fixes are exactly what people need to get back on their feet, no? If I had infinite money, I don't think money would much be on the mind. So, I'd probably have time to chill out with the guy, and talk to him and find out why he's there.