• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mental retardation IS a gift, It is NOT a disability

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Retarded people are able to think more simply than normal people. Many times when normal guy is trying to figure out some simple things they might miss the answer simply because the answer is so simple that they cant think like that. If it was some retarded guy trying to figure the same thing out he most likely would get it in a second.

discuss

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
its like that riddle they tell that most adults can't answer but most kindergärtners can.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It's remarked that retards often have really friendly social skills.

High IQ tends to decrease sociability.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You guys are evil. I'm glad I'm a kind hearted F.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You guys are evil. I'm glad I'm a kind hearted F.

Ironically, both my dyslexic sister as well as dyslexic father would both condone this topic. For the sole reason that dyslexia simply isn't a gift to them. It's tough enough to live with it as it is, without trying to sugercoat it. They both feel and are limited in many areas that are pretty important in todays information age. And sure they both have skills that could be considered as a perk that makes their dyslexic look insignificant. There will always be areas in which they just simply suck and can't do anything about it.

Anyhow, who's going to make the "What does gifted mean?" in the philosophy forum? :p

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
High intelligence can certainly make you unhappy.
The more your mind wanders, the more it can give you stuff to worry about.

P

Phantonym

Retarded people are able to think more simply than normal people. Many times when normal guy is trying to figure out some simple things they might miss the answer simply because the answer is so simple that they cant think like that. If it was some retarded guy trying to figure the same thing out he most likely would get it in a second.

He'd figure it out but what would he do with it? Having the answer is only half the problem. The answer the "normal" guy is trying to figure out means something to him and, although he might struggle with it, when he finally gets it, it has a meaning and a purpose. The "retarded" guy might have the answer but to him it might be meaningless and therefore, useless.

Ignorance is bliss.

I used to think so too when I was younger. It seemed like an easy fix. Too easy. Personally, the older I get, the more I realize how little I really know despite all the knowledge I manage to accumulate. It's frustrating. I don't find any bliss in that. But it keeps the hamster in my brain running.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

But if you have an even higher intelligence you realize what you are doing and dont worry about it :newwink:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
But if you have an even higher intelligence you realize what you are doing and dont worry about it :newwink:

And if you have an even higher intelligence than that, you realize being intelligent and having all the answers is boring after a while.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And if you have an even higher intelligence than that, you realize being intelligent and having all the answers is boring after a while.

Thats why I am Se:doh: Gotta escape the boredom :D

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

I agree. And the more the mind wanders, the more likely we are to desire more than what we have and set outrageous internal goals/expectations for ourselves, regardless of how obtainable our desires are.

I don't know much about this subject, but I could speculate about the relationship between "happiness" and intelligence level. It seems like one's level of contentedness declines as they approach the extreme ends of intelligence (genius or severely mentally inhibited).

I see the happiness vs. intelligence function best-fit to a fifth degree polynomial (but with asymptotes on either side, rather than going on until infinite), wherein the global maximum for happiness is located in the upper-middle range of intelligence. To the left of this global max, there's a slight decline towards average and/or slightly below average (where there's a local min not too far from the local max), where it thereby begins to increase again until you get to a point of mildly handicapped where there's a local max, thus decreasing as you approach severely handicapped. To the right of the aforementioned global max, the function declines drastically as you approach the level of savant.

Of course none of this necessarily implies that happiness and intelligence are causally related. And it's all pretty Ne-speculative anyway.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I am often bored in a pleasant way :)

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ironically, both my dyslexic sister as well as dyslexic father would both condone this topic. For the sole reason that dyslexia simply isn't a gift to them. It's tough enough to live with it as it is, without trying to sugercoat it. They both feel and are limited in many areas that are pretty important in todays information age. And sure they both have skills that could be considered as a perk that makes their dyslexic look insignificant. There will always be areas in which they just simply suck and can't do anything about it.

Anyhow, who's going to make the "What does gifted mean?" in the philosophy forum? :p

i wasnt addressing to that dyslexia topic with this topic. but there as been a trend of making topics like this with aspengers and what ever, and that has been bothering me a bit since surely every disability like dyslexia or aspengers have some good in them. but overally its as dumb as saying that being retarded is a gift since you can find something good with being retarded like you can find good things about having dyslexia or what ever.