• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mental retardation IS a gift, It is NOT a disability

MBTI Type
INFP
That sounds remarkably like some descriptions of sensors...

It is, in essence, the way sensors function. At least IMO.

Really, a 100% intuitive person is as far from the typical animal as you can get.

On the other hand, strong reliance on the senses combined with the intellectual capabilities of the human mind isn't a bad thing. It just results in a human with animal-like sensor qualities.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
so which dumb bunny is gonna start a thread on having a big knob is a gift and not a disability????

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is, in essence, the way sensors function. At least IMO.

Really, a 100% intuitive person is as far from the typical animal as you can get.

On the other hand, strong reliance on the senses combined with the intellectual capabilities of the human mind isn't a bad thing. It just results in a human with animal-like sensor qualities.

lol, an intuitive with no sensory aspects would sit their looking at food intuiting about it while dying from starvation because they lack the instinct to put it in their mouth :D

O

Oberon

lol, an intuitive with no sensory aspects would sit their looking at food intuiting about it while dying from starvation because they lack the instinct to put it in their mouth :D

This is sort of an analogy of my love life when I started dating.

MBTI Type
INFP

But a sensor with no intuitive aspects wouldn't be able to figure out how to pick the food up and carry it to their mouth on the fork.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Dumb thread, but Imma make sense of it anyway!

...Because I'm bored.

Anyways.

First off, It's remarked that retards often have really friendly social skills.

I've known a few people who were mentally disabled, and almost all of them were irritating to the core, or just plain asshats. It's a myth, just like "rich people are never happy". It's there to make us feel better about them in some way.

Truth is that yeu can be just as much of a jerk by being a 'retard' as yeu can by not being one. Handicapped people have some individuals blindly cater to them and defend them from everything no matter how deserving of an attack they may be. After awhile, some of them realize they can pretty much get away with murder and will just be given a pat on the head, and not even so much as a slap on the wrist, and they start to abuse it. Not all have this happen, but it's more than possible to occur.

Also, while simple thoughts can often see through simple answers, this's a condition that's well documented in children being capable of seeing the obvious, whereas an adult has had their lifetime spent being conditioned to overly complexify things. For referance, do the "petals around the rose" game sometime, and yeu'll see whot I mean.

As a whole though, I disagree at this being particularly beneficial in most situations. However, there are certain types of mental retardation which tend to cause leaps in intelligence in other forms; autism often leads to notably higher raw intelligence, but lower social skills, the best guess I have on the matter is that it's an overspecialization of the brain, trying too hard to focus all resources on one particular type of thought process, and sacrificing other required ones severely to attain such. Many other forms of mental retardation can be classified in similar ways; idiot savants are an excellent example of such.

Mental retardation caused by disease, or injury, however, do not gain these benefits. Those cases are pretty much just screwed once that happens. Generally the benefits associated with such only occur from natural genetic occurrence, and most likely is just natural variation in genes in the typical "shotgun" style test each generation gets... the majority goes to the tried and true center, with some minor divergence, and a few rare cases get really far off the mark attempts just in case there's possibly something better out there. Evolution has to come from somewheres... some of these traits don't carry on, because they kind of suck. Others tend to be beneficial more than harmful, and find their way to the general populace. Unfortunately to do random genetic spread such as that, there's going to be a few people who pull the short straw when trying to find a straw that's longer than average...

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
He'd figure it out but what would he do with it? Having the answer is only half the problem. The answer the "normal" guy is trying to figure out means something to him and, although he might struggle with it, when he finally gets it, it has a meaning and a purpose. The "retarded" guy might have the answer but to him it might be meaningless and therefore, useless.

I used to think so too when I was younger. It seemed like an easy fix. Too easy. Personally, the older I get, the more I realize how little I really know despite all the knowledge I manage to accumulate. It's frustrating. I don't find any bliss in that. But it keeps the hamster in my brain running.
A meaning points to an object only.
Not to the subject.

He does not do anything with it.
Why should he?

You do.
It is your loss.
Not his.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Retarded people are able to think more simply than normal people. Many times when normal guy is trying to figure out some simple things they might miss the answer simply because the answer is so simple that they cant think like that. If it was some retarded guy trying to figure the same thing out he most likely would get it in a second.

discuss

I'm prepared to put your bigotry to one side and give you a big ENFP :hug:

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
i wasnt addressing to that dyslexia topic with this topic. but there as been a trend of making topics like this with aspengers and what ever, and that has been bothering me a bit since surely every disability like dyslexia or aspengers have some good in them. but overally its as dumb as saying that being retarded is a gift since you can find something good with being retarded like you can find good things about having dyslexia or what ever.

Finding a silver lining is great. Everyone has gifts that are the result of pain and personal handicaps, but that doesn't erase or minimize the negative. If I lose both of my my legs tomorrow, I might be given a new lease on life, but I'm STILL disabled because I cannot walk the way most humans can, and I still require extra help.
It's all just about whether or not you consider the good to outweigh the bad - if, had you a choice, you would choose your place in life again?
This is one hell of a patronizing thread!