• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Generalisations = Stereotyping?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's the story you are going with?
I'm to believe you know 25 INFJs and they would allow you-of all people-to get close to them?

Nice try, kid. :D
Classic.

What a dreadfully stupid response. I'll take this as your surrender.

Jaguar

What a dreadfully stupid response.

Prove you know 25 INFJs.
Prove you know 25 ENTJs.
Prove you know 25 ESFPs.

It is you who made the dreadfully stupid response.
You cannot prove anything.
Why do you think I was laughing so hard at you suggesting you know 25 INFJ's?
It is getting really old having to explain something so obvious to you, again and again.

And while I'm at it, that was a bunch of crap you said to that new member named Bobby.
He/She observed the obvious hyprocrisy going on here with you claiming it's just a theory,
and then minutes later you run off typing someone as if it's an absolute.
You can't have it both ways.

Instead of insulting the intelligence of people by baffling them with bullshit,
the least you could have done was admit you do it.
Dodging the bullet won't solve the problem.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Prove you know 25 INFJs.
Prove you know 25 ENTJs.
Prove you know 25 ESFPs.

It is you who made the dreadfully stupid response.
You cannot prove anything.
Why do you think I was laughing so hard at you suggesting you know 25 INFJ's?
It is getting really old having to explain something so obvious to you, again and again.

And while I'm at it, that was a bunch of crap you said to that new member named Bobby.
He/She observed the obvious hyprocrisy going on here with you claiming it's just a theory,
and then minutes later you run off typing someone as if it's an absolute.
You can't have it both ways.

Instead of insulting the intelligence of people by baffling them with bullshit,
the least you could have done was admit you do it.
Dodging the bullet won't solve the problem.

F

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Run little rabbit, run. :D

It's extraordinary that you continue to ask for proof of typological categories despite how many times I've explained the idea to you. I'm not going to do it again. You don't seem to have any idea how to interpret anything outside of strictly Te terms.

HINT: When I categorize someone into a type, it constitutes my opinion, not empirical fact. The fact that I even have to point this out to you is disheartening. Somebody isn't learning.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
5684070-lg.jpg

Jaguar

HINT: When I categorize someone into a type, it constitutes my opinion, not empirical fact. The fact that I even have to point this out to you is disheartening. Somebody isn't learning.

You are the only person in this entire forum where people actually go to your wall and tell you off,
because they are sick and tired of you telling them not only what type they are, but what type they are not.

How long did you beat Lauren over the head claiming she was ISFJ and not INFJ?
Only she can decide that, not you.
No matter how many people yell at you for doing it to them, you still continue to do it.

The somebody who isn't learning, is you.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You are the only person in this entire forum where people actually go to your wall and tell you off,
because they are sick and tired of you telling them not only what type they are, but what type they are not.

How long did you beat Lauren over the head claiming she was ISFJ and not INFJ?
Only she can decide that, not you.
No matter how many people yell at you for doing it to them, you still continue to do it.

The somebody who isn't learning, is you.

This is a common occurrence all over the forum. People constantly claim that others aren't the type they purport to be.

To date, I myself have been called 9 different types by others. I'm clearly not the only person who does this. In fact, there have been numerous threads openly inviting people to question and reassess each other's types.

I also tend to get a number of private messages/rep comments agreeing with me when I point out a probable inaccuracy in someone's self-typing job. Might I also point out your continual insistence that thatgirl is a "fake ENTJ"? You actually joined me in poking at her about this in her own blog thread--check your own posting history, champ.

Hell, I'm good enough at this that people (including at least two moderators) actually seek out advice and information on the topic from me. So no, the feedback I get for doing this is nowhere near universally negative--in fact it's usually positive. Most people want to hear more about why they might be a different type, so that they can learn more about typology and themselves.

Your little inferior Fi outrage at this practice is cute and all, but your assessment of the way others perceive it is dubious at best.

Jaguar

This is a common occurrence all over the forum. People constantly claim that others aren't the type they purport to be.

They don't do it in the manner you do. I may have to start calling you the Charlie Manson of MBTI.

Might I also point out your continual insistence that thatgirl is a "fake ENTJ"? You actually joined me in poking at her about this in her own blog thread--check your own posting history, champ.

Bad example Sim, and you know it.
No other forum member publicly announced they were changing type for a different perspective.
Had she never made that announcement, I would never have made a comment about it.

Hell, I'm good enough at this that people (including at least two moderators) actually seek out advice and information on the topic from me.

Yeah right, Sim. You thought LL was ESTJ. :laugh:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Actually the equal sign is incorrect because the two processes flow in the opposite direction. Generalizing takes as input a whole group and produces a certain peculiar characteristic as output. Stereotyping takes as input the output of the generalization process, and tries to infer a specific behavior of a single component of the source population. Basically this means that stereotyping is always incorrect (and that's why it has a negative connotation), since inference never works for singletons from a given sample.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Actually the equal sign is incorrect because the two processes flow in the opposite direction. Generalizing takes as input a whole group and produces a certain peculiar characteristic as output. Stereotyping takes as input the output of the generalization process, and tries to infer a specific behavior of a single component of the source population. Basically this means that stereotyping is always incorrect (and that's why it has a negative connotation), since inference never works for singletons from a given sample.

Are you saying that stereotyping says that 'This dude must be from X group cause he acts like X' whereas generalizing would say 'this group acts like X so people from that group act that way'? Is it the other way around?

I tend to use stereotypes/generalizations for humor. My excuse: 'Real information is boring, stereotypes add exaggeration that makes the joke more off the wall.' - The only problem is that people can get offended if they are part of the group the joke is making fun of. Like blonds and blond jokes.

Jaguar

Generalizing takes as input a whole group and produces a certain peculiar characteristic as output. Stereotyping takes as input the output of the generalization process, and tries to infer a specific behavior of a single component of the source population. Basically this means that stereotyping is always incorrect (and that's why it has a negative connotation), since inference never works for singletons from a given sample.

Person #1: "I saw a black man rob a bank."
Person #2: "I saw a black man rob a bank."
Person #3: "I saw a black man rob a bank."

Idiot #1: "Black men rob banks."
Idiot #2: "Oh yes, I know! I saw it with my own two eyes!"
Idiot #3: "Me too! Damn those black men!"

Change the above scenario by inserting MBTI types along with reckless claims,
and you will have a good example of what goes on in this forum.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
They don't do it in the manner you do. I may have to start calling you the Charlie Manson of MBTI.

Knock yourself out. You don't have much to lose.

Bad example Sim, and you know it.
No other forum member publicly announced they were changing type for a different perspective.
Had she never made that announcement, I would never have made a comment about it.

I don't feel it necessary to defend against accusations of "being too mean" from an ENTJ who just got graveyarded for a month for belligerent trolling.

Yeah right, Sim. You thought LL was ESTJ. :laugh:

Actually, if you reread that thread, my first response was "obvious ENFP", which she quickly rejected and asked for different ideas--so I built an argument for ESTJ.

Given that she describes herself as overly extroverted/lacking a strong introverted identity, it's obvious how similar these two types are when considered in terms of their preferred extroverted attitudes. When you see Ne and Te as the main two functions, it's likely either ENFP (dom Ne+tert Te) or ESTJ (dom Te+tert Ne).

Kinda like how you'd resemble a super-extroverted ESFP (with poor Fi) if you had no Ni. Te+Se looks like Se+Te.

All of that is irrelevant anyway, though, since ENFP was my first guess. I only went on to build an argument for a different type because LL rejected this assessment and assured everyone that she absolutely was not ENFP.

Jaguar

Actually, if you reread that thread, my first response was "obvious ENFP", which she quickly rejected and asked for different ideas--so I built an argument for ESTJ.

The fact that you even bothered to "build an argument" for ESTJ is problematic in and of itself.
What's next, building an argument that Solitary Walker is INFP?

Lol.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The fact that you even bothered to "build an argument" for ESTJ is problematic in and of itself.
What's next, building an argument that Solitary Walker is INFP?

Lol.

LL repeatedly cited Te as her own dominant function after reading several different functional descriptions. Given her clear preference for Ne over Ni, it was reasonable to make a case for ESTJ.

Perhaps if solitarywalker cited Fi as his own dominant function and showed outward signs of being influenced by it, I might be able to build a coherent argument for him as an INFP--but he doesn't do either, so that would be silly.

Since types can't really be proven factually, "building arguments" is the only thing that can really be done. Even if the general consensus is that some person belongs to a certain type, someone else could still offer an argument for a different type and nobody could prove anyone else definitively right or wrong.

Person #1: "I saw a black man rob a bank."
Person #2: "I saw a black man rob a bank."
Person #3: "I saw a black man rob a bank."

Idiot #1: "Black men rob banks."
Idiot #2: "Oh yes, I know! I saw it with my own two eyes!"
Idiot #3: "Me too! Damn those black men!"

Change the above scenario by inserting MBTI types along with reckless claims,
and you will have a good example of what goes on in this forum.

I'd be interested in knowing who it is that can honestly say 100% of the black men he's met are bank robbers. The odds of this happening are extraordinarily low. Your example is deliberately unrealistic.

Personally, most of the black men I know do not rob banks, so I wouldn't come to any such conclusion.