• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dyslexia IS a gift, It is NOT a disability

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Meh. I was diagnosed with dyslexia but if I remember correctly there was something sketchy about that diagnosis- so mild that really was just on the borderline-and could have potentially been caused by something else-because I believe my performance was just sort of atypical in general. Can't particularly remember really. All I know is... I DO tend to have difficulty with... Seeing the trees in the forest with text. I just sort of read things as one big block. One picture really, and whatever sticks out to me in that picture is where I start... And then I tend to try to build some sort of context around that starting point-skimming again to make my idea of the piece clearer-and I mean this is not always linear skimming-Ill look at the end-the beginning-it doesnt matter really, it just makes almost NO difference. So I would skim a passage, and then I would have SOME sort of idea of what went on-really after reading only a key sentance or two... But the accuracy of this 'idea'... And my ability to pull specifics... Was questionable. It has gotten better progressively though, didn't CHANGE my style- but got better at adapting it. I wouldn't exactly call it a gift-it directly and practically caused me a bit of grief- it sucks to well completely misinterpret something YOU KNOW you could have understood 'correctly'-spent quite a bit of time hating myself and thinking that I was just dumb and stuff. Not always 'fun' or a 'positive' feeling-but sure, I am sure that indirectly, whatever caused this in me- has benefitted me in other ways.

Oh and another part of this- it gave me(and STILL gives me sometimes) PAINFUL spelling skills. Some fun things have come from that.

Now... My brother... Is the REAL deal-no question with him. And he HAS struggled. Sure, me and him... Well we have always been able to have... Discussions... That I don't really(and have been told) think other people our age or otherwise... Tend to have often-others around us just being totally confused-and us, for the longest time, not really understanding at all why. And I have been told by teachers and professors on multiple occasions... That I THINK oddly- I think in ways that make things that are easy for most others challenging for me, and things that are challenging for others easy peasy for me.

But/so... If I am dyslexic, well whatever I am... Advantage, I don't know. Positives and negatives to it I suppose. The negatives being much more pronounced in my brother. Id have to ask him more about it though.