• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you like to give advice?

Do you like to give advice?

• INFP- Yes definitely

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • INTP- Yes definitely

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • ISFP- Yes definitely

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • ISTP- Yes definitely

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFP- Yes definitely

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • ENTP- Yes definitely

• ESFP- Yes definitely

• ESTP- Yes definitely

• INFJ- Yes definitely

• INTJ- Yes definitely

• ISFJ- Yes definitely

• ISTJ- Yes definitely

• ENFJ- Yes definitely

• ENTJ- Yes definitely

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • ESFJ- Yes definitely

• ESTJ- Yes definitely

• Total voters

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
The poll is pointless, seeing it has no baseline.

I feel I should give advice sometimes. I don't really like doing it that much though. I figure people can make their own choices, and it is best to just give them the information they need.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't like to give unsolicited advice, but only if I'm asked for. Apart from that, most of my advice is usually little more than pointing out the alternatives without offering my own opinion (because often I just have none). I guess I'm actually not that helpful :D

^ mostly that.

I find giving advice an interesting exercise in understanding myself better, like others have said giving advice is easier than taking it so I try whenever giving advice to challenge myself to take my own advice if I ever ended up in a similar situation. I also prefer to give options/alternatives rather than suggest answers, people need to come up with their own solutions but if they're willing to listen I'll help where I can.

Lark

People generally try to solicit advice from me or speak to me about their choices and decisions, in a kind of reflective other style thing, mind you a lot of this is a result of work but its professionals and not just service users or clients or the public.

I'm a good listener, can rationalise quickly and establish goals, potential solutions and make a plan. A lot of conversation is distillation I find, you go through phrasing, reprashing, paraprashing and reflecting back. Sometimes the act of seeking advice isnt about the advice or question at all but about establishing or developing a relationship, getting assistance regulating an emotional response, learning something with the assistance of another person.

I can follow advice fine most of the time but I get frustrated a lot of the time with how few people I've found who can advise me, not because I'm especially knowledgeable, I've known people who are more knowledgeable but arent as good communicators.

wolfy

awsm
i feel like a giant tool every time i give advice.

Haha, I love that response. If I have solid experience I like to give advice. Otherwise I feel like I'm pulling stuff out of thin air, which is kind of fun but I feel dumb doing it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
definitely yes, but not much if i dont give a crap about the person. allso i got a bad habit of trying to force my advice to others if i care about them.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like helping people figure things out, being used as a sounding board. But "giving advice"? Not so much. I don't really feel like I know what I'm talking about most of the time. But yeah, like I said, I like helping people if I can, as a combined effort sort of thing.

magil

MBTI Type
EXFP
The poll is pointless, seeing it has no baseline.

Why is yes the only option?

Because I could only have 20 options total so I figured I might as well see which types said yes. Maybe if I had been thinking more clearly I could have been like Te Primary-Yes, one option, Te Primary-No, another ect, but I made it really fast and I didn't really think of that at the time.
Any how, all the polls on here are really pretty pointeless seeing how you have a vlountary response bias. I'm just doing it for fun, and to see peoples written responses mostly. Thanks for responding everyone. :)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I enjoy analyzing anything and so when someone presents a problem I tend to go into analyzing mode. In my own mind it isn't advice because I have no idea if any of the analysis applies to them, but sometimes people will read it as advice. Maybe on some level it can be construed as such, but much less so than people sometimes think. I try to remember to include disclaimers, but more often I forget.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I generally don't give advice unless someone directly asks, "What do you think I should do?" I usually tend more towards asking questions that will help lead the person to their own conclusions. What I would do in a particular situation is not necessarily the best thing for someone else...what I would do is based on my perceptions, strengths, weaknesses and values...I try not to push that on other people. This seems to work (be helpful) for most, but not all people.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No I don't, but I do it anyways.

I find that what works for me doesn't work for most other people. And even though my advice is sound and rational and I am of opinion it is something people -need- to hear. It's not always what people -want- to hear, and when someone doesn't want to hear you, they tend to grow negatively towards you in their opinions.

But then again, I am not bothered with what other people think of me, and I stand for what I believe. So I leave it upon the listener to decide wether or not to heed my advice.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Almost never. I think in general, people should not give so much advice unless a person asks for it.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Almost never. I think in general, people should not give so much advice unless a person asks for it.

I think it's not giving advice that is at fault. But the ability of people to heed other peoples advice without any personal conviction.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've watched thousands of noobs learning things and being swamped by people offering as much help and advice as possible (myself included). It never works though, you always need to give them space, let them learn on their own and then feed them information when they hunger for it. I would say that most people like to help others.

R

Riva

I don't give advice. No No!
But I do listen. When my friends complain, I listen. And usually say something back to cheer them up.

From what I have noticed, people talk about their hurts not expecting lame ass annoying advice but expecting someone to listen to them and to share their feelings.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I generally hate it for these reasons.

1.) I'm underqualified or unqualified to help. I can't even solve my own problems, how am I supposed to solve yours? I do not have much life experience or enough empathy to really see things from your point of view. I'm also extremely bad at mediation or pleasing others, nor do I have any desire to get better at that shortcoming. I hate doing things that I'm bad at.

2.) It's awkward knowing that someone trusts me enough to ask for help. Having that sort of responsibility is uneasy.

3.) I hate wasting my time having to think of an answer and then have someone not follow it. Might as well not have said anything.

4.) I usually don't care about the problem being discussed.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not really. First off, I don't like receiving it much. With all my doubts I need some sort of external thought, but then when I do get advice I'm thinking to myself, "That's so cliche!", or, "But I already tried that!". Sometimes I just feel babied too when people come off too mentor-y or motherly and I feel like I'm some 6th grader hearing a pep talk when I had already learned everything on TV. It all depends on the person, though. Unsolicited advice is also annoying as well, makes me feel like I'm not carrying myself right. Also, I don't trust myself to shell out some random advice unless I have gone through a similar experience. Even when I share my life experiences, I make sure to phrase it a certain way, like, "When that happened to me I did X", versus, "I think you should do this, this is best for you.". Because I don't know what's best for you, and I'm not your mom(although even if I was your mom I still wouldn't say that). What works one way for me also might not work for some other person. Also, I find it much more interesting when people decide things for themselves and seeing how that plays out rather than when they follow what someone else envisions.