• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Big Five - neuroticism

Little_Sticks

Let's play. I'll call this MBTI Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope Thread

N stands for the amount of neuroticism one has.

= :( + :) + :ng_mad: = ENTP

<Sets the timer on the nuke and runs to the bunker>

Oh crap, that reminds me...I knew I forgot something this morning - my fallout suit. Oh well. Maybe I'll grow an abnormally large wanker. Then I could scare and amaze the ladies at the same time. That's definitely a plus.

<eats cookies and waits>

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
wookie.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*looks at abnormally large penis*

there's no way that could safely and comfortably fit into any orfice I posess!

*snaps picture on cellphone to send to AMA under the heading of "elephantitis?"*

:D

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't even see how neuroticism could be part of personality. You get more healthy and your neuroticism goes down, duh...

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
this ^^^ is true, but it's a personality 'characteristic.'

define 'healthier.' it's readily possible to be a so called "high performing" individual and have low levels of emotional stability (aka be neurotic).

John McEnroe comes to mind.
YouTube - John McEnroe is madddddd

Plenty of high strung people who do well at a lot of things - but they tend to waste a lot of time screaming about BS, i guess.

i suppose as a total, balanced person, to be 'healthy', then yes, you have to be less neurotic.

this was circuitous.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
define 'healthier.' it's readily possible to be a so called "high performing" individual and have low levels of emotional stability (aka be neurotic).

Plenty of high strung people who do well at a lot of things - but they tend to waste a lot of time screaming about BS, i guess.

Yeah, I guess it is possible to see such a person healthy. There is no reason that my "healthy" means anything definite. But, yep, I was going for the "balanced". Anyhow, what I was thinking is that the way I see personality is that it is not something you can change. If this is true, then neuroticism is not a personality trait. The other four seem to be closer to fixed traits. I'm not sure about "openness", though...

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Yeah, I guess it is possible to see such a person healthy. There is no reason that my "healthy" means anything definite. But, yep, I was going for the "balanced". Anyhow, what I was thinking is that the way I see personality is that it is not something you can change. If this is true, then neuroticism is not a personality trait. The other four seem to be closer to fixed traits. I'm not sure about "openness", though...

oh really?

a person can learn how to be more conscientious ("the trait of being painstaking and careful") by simply thinking things through before acting, and using organization tools. eventually this becomes habitual - and then they are "more conscientious."

I think everything can be changed - within broad limits. takes a lot of practice though.

as an interesting aside:
Conscientiousness is related to impulse control, but it should not be confused with the problems of impulse control found in neuroticism. People high on neurotic impulsiveness find it difficult to resist temptation or delay gratification. Individuals who are low on conscientious self-discipline are unable to motivate themselves to perform a task that they would like to accomplish. These are conceptually similar but empirically distinct.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I think everything can be changed - within broad limits. takes a lot of practice though.

I can't deny I am an INFP (I have actually tried that. Before I knew I was INFP, though...). I can, however deny my Big Five and practice openness or conscientiousness, as you said, or I can develop neurotic symptoms accidentally. So, I wouldn't call the pattern seen through Big Five my personality. It is more like "the things we do", or "what we are now" than what we are next year or next decade. That essence that doesn't change is my personality, and INFP does describe it pretty well.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An extension of the MBTI, the Type Differentiation Indicator, adds another dichotomy called "Comfort-Discomfort" that is supposed to correspond to Neuroticism. From what I've read, subscales for it were originally included in MBTI research, but dropped for fear of being too negative.

Neuroticism had its origin with Eysenck, who used it in his version of the Galen temperaments as the other factor besides extraversion. Most systems using Galen use people/task, which would seem to correspond with Agreeableness, and the two were similar. Melancholic and Choleric (the task-oriented pair) were high Neurotic, and Sanguine and Phlegmatic (the people-oriented pair) were low. So then, different temperaments did have tendencies towards Neuroticism or stability.
(Conscientiousness, BTW, would correspond with Keirsey's Cooperative/Pragmatic. But the correlation studies don't match the FFM factors with Keirsey's; it's always with the four MBTI dichotomies, which do not correspond as closely.

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
I don't even see how neuroticism could be part of personality. You get more healthy and your neuroticism goes down, duh...

This would seem to be the case, however it has been found that people with extremely low neuroticsm scores can be "emotional stuffers". In other words people who have difficulty accepting or dealing with any kind of negative feelings and therefore choose to deny (and avoid) them on a subconcious level. To be a least a bit "neurotic" is to be human.