• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Psycho in 'Psycho' is not a Psychopath?

R

Riva

I've known at least one head wrecking and manipulative individual who I think would qualify for this label, I know about lots of lying, manipulation and controlling behaviour they were engaging in and suspect a lot more besides. All because it gave them a thrill, they'd talk about knowing someone else and use examples of them engaging in criminality despite not needing to for any fiscal reason but I think they were talking about themselves in the third person.

lolz

For instance the board room executives who downsize their workforce, resulting in unemployment and an increase in burnouts among the remainder of the workforce, need to have a bit of a slip of conscience and lack of empathy to do that

Hmmm...

True, but these people are hired to make tough decision. Tough as in lack of empathy.

Is a soldier killing an enemy he doesn't even know, seen before or spoken to kill him due to his absence of empathy? No. It is his job. The job itself is too important than your personal values, especially at a critical situation like a battlefield.

In this case, a board room.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath, nature vs. nurture. In other words:

Sociopaths have become what they are because of their experiences
Psychopaths are born that way

That's how I always understood it. I may be wrong.

Mostly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociopath#Psychopathy_vs._sociopathy said:
Psychopathy vs. sociopathy

Hare writes that the difference between sociopathy and psychopathy may "reflect the user's views on the origins and determinates of the disorder."[43]
David T. Lykken proposes psychopathy and sociopathy are two distinct kinds of antisocial personality disorder. He believes psychopaths are born with temperamental differences such as impulsivity, cortical underarousal, and fearlessness that lead them to risk-seeking behavior and an inability to internalize social norms. On the other hand, he claims sociopaths have relatively normal temperaments; their personality disorder being more an effect of negative sociological factors like parental neglect, delinquent peers, poverty, and extremely low or extremely high intelligence. Both personality disorders are the result of an interaction between genetic predispositions and environmental factors, but psychopathy leans towards the hereditary whereas sociopathy tends towards the environmental.[38]

One question puzzles me; Peter Sellers is considered a sociopath.

He is?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can be psychotic and psychopathic at the same time, you know?

My how our dreams are trampled these days. Reach for the stars, kids!

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Agree. You need to know what is right and wrong to avoid doing the wrong and do what is right when you get a chance.

A question-

How would religion explain (any religion) the reason for psychopaths. The reason why I am saying 'for' is because according to religion all beings are God's creations. Why would God create a being that has no conscience?

I suppose we would use the stock answer: 'for some things in God's plan, you just need a guy with no feelings.' Or some people would say 'Satan did it.'

Really, God is playing a game of 4D chess with an uncountable number of layers and with pieces that move themselves. People who need to know what God's über complex plan is don't have much faith. People nowadays don't really have it and think it's something that automatically makes you ignorant.

R

Riva

Oddly some characteristic traits of Psychopaths matches that of entp traits -

ENTP - Jung Type Descriptions

risk taker, easy going, outgoing, social, open, rule breaker, thrill seeker, life of the party, comfortable in unfamiliar situations, appreciates strangeness, disorganized, adventurous, talented at presentation, aggressive, attention seeking, experience junky, insensitive, adaptable, not easily offended, messy, carefree, dangerous, fearless, careless, emotionally stable, spontaneous, improviser, always joking, player, wild and crazy, dominant, acts without thinking, not into organized religion, pro-weed legalization

the killer potatoe

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
When a tragic event happens, I'm able to recognise it's tragic, understand the pain people go through, but I don't personally feel upset for it. I know people that have cried about terrible things that have happened, even recently, around the world. It all feels clinical to me. I can recognise how people feel, but my understanding of such situations is entirely intellectual. No feeling, I don't think.QUOTE]

I do the same. I've even whitnessed tragic events unfold and I kind of felt alienated from all others who wept as I simply watched not in amusement nor in grief, merely watched.