• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Introspection

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember coming across something that said intuitives are introspective types... which I would have thought was more of an introverted thing to do, but it makes sense, introspection means observing your thoughts from outside of yourself, if a sensor is living in the real world (be it here and now, or the past) would they introspect much?

So basically... how do you introspect? Where do you introspect? What do you discover from introspection, and has it been useful? I remember richard feynman was quite introspective :yes:

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I remember coming across something that said intuitives are introspective types... which I would have thought was more of an introverted thing to do, but it makes sense, introspection means observing your thoughts from outside of yourself, if a sensor is living in the real world (be it here and now, or the past) would they introspect much?

So basically... how do you introspect? Where do you introspect? What do you discover from introspection, and has it been useful? I remember richard feynman was quite introspective :yes:

How?
I kind of latch on a stream of consciousness. Since Ni is both a perceiving function and introverted, it can feed off of itself to find different connections and insights.

Where?
I usually pace back and forth a short distance, it helps keep my mind 'stretched' enough to not get stuck on one thought too long. Sometimes I lay on a comfortable couch or in bed. For that reason, I enjoy waking up in the middle of the night, I'm full of creative thoughts then.

What?
Usually what I need to work on to improve myself, how to do that, and trying to 'find who I am.' Sometimes it is just a lot of odd ideas related to certain topics, and since I've been hooked on the Final Fantasy VII story and characters, many of my thoughts revolve around that. Mentally 'playing' with the characters and how they act better helps me understand them. Maybe I should apply it to real life people too.

Usefulness?
It helps me recover from being social for a long time, because my main functions that work when I'm being social is Se and Fe. Ni is turned off until I'm alone again. I'm not usually the quiet one in a conversation because I like to be actively involved in it (Usually by making jokes).

And when I am depressed, if I find a good train of thought I can find the right perspective of the problem and then understand what it takes to fix it. The most frustrating part in this situation, though, is that I tend to be 'fishing in mud' mentally and if feels like I can't catch anything. But then suddenly an epiphany sparks in my mind and then everything I was worrying about makes sense. ('Skyward gains +1 to Wisdom!')

(PS: Your avatar is awesome, beat the game three times and still plan on beating it again before playing Bioshock 2)

Mole

Permabanned

Introverts are introspective - it comes with the territory - an introvert's gotta do what an introvert's gotta do.

But also introspection is a pleasure.

And of course an unalloyed pleasure becomes jaded, so fortunately our introspection is regularly interrupted by the outside world.

And this gives us more things to introspect about - so we are bounded, surrounded and hounded by pleasure.

Pleasure hounds us down all the corridors of life. It's as thought we have a magic box and all we have to do it open it to play our favourite song - "Thinking, thinking, thinking of you".

'Cause thinking is enough - I can get by without my Mum - I can get by without my girlfriend - but I can't get by without thinking. And sometimes I think of you.

Introspection is like dancing with my mind. And I don't mind at all. Not a bit.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How?
I kind of latch on a stream of consciousness. Since Ni is both a perceiving function and introverted, it can feed off of itself to find different connections and insights.

Where?
I usually pace back and forth a short distance, it helps keep my mind 'stretched' enough to not get stuck on one thought too long. Sometimes I lay on a comfortable couch or in bed. For that reason, I enjoy waking up in the middle of the night, I'm full of creative thoughts then.

What?
Usually what I need to work on to improve myself, how to do that, and trying to 'find who I am.' Sometimes it is just a lot of odd ideas related to certain topics, and since I've been hooked on the Final Fantasy VII story and characters, many of my thoughts revolve around that. Mentally 'playing' with the characters and how they act better helps me understand them. Maybe I should apply it to real life people too.

Usefulness?
It helps me recover from being social for a long time, because my main functions that work when I'm being social is Se and Fe. Ni is turned off until I'm alone again. I'm not usually the quiet one in a conversation because I like to be actively involved in it (Usually by making jokes).

And when I am depressed, if I find a good train of thought I can find the right perspective of the problem and then understand what it takes to fix it. The most frustrating part in this situation, though, is that I tend to be 'fishing in mud' mentally and if feels like I can't catch anything. But then suddenly an epiphany sparks in my mind and then everything I was worrying about makes sense. ('Skyward gains +1 to Wisdom!')

I can imagine that any Ni dom would have a very entertaining mindstream. It's probably what most people do when they space out, I know some people who will just sit on the couch infront of the television... and without paying attention to the tv just space out. How can you use an inferior function to be social? The inferior is usually a weakness isn't it?

(PS: Your avatar is awesome, beat the game three times and still plan on beating it again before playing Bioshock 2)

I borrowed it and played it for a couple of hours, and it was incredible! I'm going to buy it when I get the chance :D

Introverts are introspective - it comes with the territory - an introvert's gotta do what an introvert's gotta do.

How sure are you of this? Are there any extroverts that are introspective? I know a few introverted sensors who do it a lot come to think of it...

But also introspection is a pleasure.

And of course an unalloyed pleasure becomes jaded, so fortunately our introspection is regularly interrupted by the outside world.

And this gives us more things to introspect about - so we are bounded, surrounded and hounded by pleasure.

Pleasure hounds us down all the corridors of life. It's as thought we have a magic box and all we have to do it open it to play our favourite song - "Thinking, thinking, thinking of you".

'Cause thinking is enough - I can get by without my Mum - I can get by without my girlfriend - but I can't get by without thinking. And sometimes I think of you.

Introspection is like dancing with my mind. And I don't mind at all. Not a bit.

I think I've introspected quite a lot, on the bus in particular, when there's nothing to do, and when waiting for something to happen... does this make me an introvert? :shock:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I think I've introspected quite a lot, on the bus in particular, when there's nothing to do, and when waiting for something to happen... does this make me an introvert? :shock:

No. You can introspect too, you just might not do it that often. It's like, some of us introverts are actually quite social, some even like sports :smile:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No. You can introspect too, you just might not do it that often. It's like, some of us introverts are actually quite social, some even like sports :smile:

*sigh*, just as I thought I latched onto a difininative MBTI trait...

MagnifaSnail

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
I quite literally introspect for hours everyday. Especially on the weekends because I have no job or life to speak of and often everyone else in my house is busy. So I'll go an entire day with absolutely no interaction (only sometimes, though) and spend it all thinking. I live inside my head and during those rare times when I do go somewhere or do something I'm still stuck in my head enough that I'm surprised I haven't had some sort of devastating car wreck.

So yes. I introspect. A lot. Perhaps even to an unhealthy degree. I could probably write a whole book (or more) and the what's, why's, and how's. Interesting to note, though: introspection very rarely does me any good at all. In fact I find it often closely correlates with heavy depressive episodes for me, it also keeps me from actually accomplishing real world tasks. But I do it because I enjoy it and it's what I'm good at and it's what I know.