• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Promises and Commitments

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
As an ISTJ, I have traditionally strive to keep promises and commitments that I make to people. I always outline the possible uncertainties and explain them. I am realizing that this may not be the right approach in all case.

I realize that many people make promises and then break them. Some promises may be made under uncertainty and others just plain change their mind.

Some examples of broken promise include:
- promise to volunteer in a school association ticket sale
- promise to help out in a play as a security person

My question to you guys is:
1) What are the types of promises? What do you considered unbreakable promises? What do you consider breakable promises?
2) Do you make promise under uncertainty? Do you explain the uncertainty?
3) How do you feel when you break a promise?
4) How do you guys deal with other people's broken promises? Do you make contingency plans for them?

Help me loosen up on my promises and commitments!

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I can't help you with the 'loosening up' on promises and commitments thing, sorry. :blush: I'm just as bad(?) I can't stand making promises to people, have them depend on me for that promise and then back out. I hate that. My guilt will know no end, so I tend not to make them no matter how much pressure some folks put on me.

Maybe some others can help you out. I think it's a wonderful quality, myself.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I like to keep commitments, but sometimes, I just got to say yes and see what happens. I appear too indecisive at times due to this.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
This would fit better in the SJ Forum. Could a mod move this? Thank!:yes: