• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

mental disorders and mbti type

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i was wondering if personality type has something to do with what kind of mental disorder you get if you get eny. and if it has something to do with the secondary function being fucked up or if the strenght of the fucked up function determs how bad the mental disorder is going to be. allso i think more functions malfunctioning means more severe disorder

for example i know infp who has schizophrenic obsessive compulsive disorder, basicly he gets a feeling that something bad is going to happen to someone then he had to repeat the thing that he was doing when the thought came to his head untill it didnt come enymore, allso if he touched someone he had a feeling that something bad was going to happen to him and he had to touch him again and again and again till he did it without the tought coming to him. to me that sounds like fucked up Ne aided by some other functions, but Ne playing the biggest part. luckilly he has this under control with medicine now. he allso had panic disorder before this disorder came up

i know two enfps, who were depressed(other not badly and dont know about other) and one guy who i think is enfp who has manic depression(thats under control with medicine). other enfp allso had panic attacks in really highly stresfull situations

according to meny mbti personality profiles intps are prone to paranoia, i would think that it might be caused by fucked up Ne and Ti analyzing the fucked up info Ne is giving and most likely Ti will overanalyze the info that Ne gives if it doesent make sense with normal degree of analyzing

someone had some mental problems or know people with some mental disorders, what were they and what were theyr types?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Maybe being a certain type would magnify the effects of a mental disorder, but I don't think it lays the railway for one.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Maybe being a certain type would magnify the effects of a mental disorder, but I don't think it lays the railway for one.

why do you think that?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
why do you think that?

as you mentioned, there may be a possibility that Ti+Ne over analyzing could lead to paranoia or stress, which might stack with someone who already has a paranoid personality disorder. Therefore, INTPs with PPD might be more likely to show the symptoms in greater concentration or more often than other types with PPD.

It's really just a guess, it's possible your type and mental disorders have no real cumulative connection with each other at all. The Ti might actually rationalize the paranoia and thus bring it down a notch, and your INTP with PPD could look less severe than another type with the disorder.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
as you mentioned, there may be a possibility that Ti+Ne over analyzing could lead to paranoia or stress, which might stack with someone who already has a paranoid personality disorder. Therefore, INTPs with PPD might be more likely to show the symptoms in greater concentration or more often than other types with PPD.

It's really just a guess, it's possible your type and mental disorders have no real cumulative connection with each other at all.

no offence, but you should think about that instead of following your feelings and guessing without thinking it rationally

thats a coincidence that mental disorders usually comes up in late teens when secondary function is starting to get more developed?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
no offence, but you should think about that instead of following your feelings and guessing without thinking it rationally

this kind of subject really is just a series of guesses and suspicions. I only did the same thing you did. No offense, but do not jump to conclusions about why I wrote what I wrote.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
im not that intrested about personality disorders, im more intrested about mental illnesses and disorders

Ah, I misunderstood. Personality disorders are often now classified as a sub-category of the broader category of mental disorders, so it seemed applicable. I can see that classification of mental illness changes over time and varies between countries/states.

sleepy

I've actually made an appointment with the shrink. Will report back if an diagnoses is made. And or if I actually get the appointment I ordered, the first one stopped answering my emails.

Doubt I have a disordered brain.

But I did score in the 100 range on this test.
Test for Social Anxiety Disorder

And on the personality disorder test that is floating around I scored very high on avoident. Also good scores for the schizo disorders, with decent result on paranoid as well.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
ENFP - depression, sleep disorder, panic attacks

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
INTJ - Obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFP bi polar disorder (apparently!)

syndatha

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
No diagnosis here, but I think I'm mostly histrionic if I had to pick one :headphne::violin:

Space_Oddity

MBTI Type
CAT
Instinctual Variant
so
I doubt this is related to type.

Just for interest's sake, I know at least three INFPs and an INTJ who have been treated with depression, a bi-polar INTJ, a bi-polar ESTP (or ENTJ), a slightly bi-polar ESTJ, a schizophrenic INFJ, an INFJ with chronic anxiety and lots of people who are just random freaks. ;)

I'd say this could rather have something to do with Enneagram type / instinctual variant, if anything. For example, all the bi-polar people I know seem to be 1s; the schizophrenic INFJ was an extremely unhealthy 4w5 sx/sp before she became ill, etc. Maybe it doesn't correlate at all but it could be interesting to look into it.

Last edited:

peterk

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
i read that if in an introvert both the dominant and auxiliary functions are introverted a neurosis can develop, and if they are fused(whatever that means) a psychosis can develop. the same goes for an extravert with both functions extraverted.

Loxias

MBTI Type
INxj
Enneagram
4w5
I think bipolarity can be found in every type. However it is possible that the apparent type changes whethere the person is in manic or depressive state.
My father is bipolar, and would be an ISTJ most of the time, although in more manic states he becomes ENTJ.