• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

how do you calculate?

sleepy

for example this: ((5-3+(6x5)) + (8+2-5)) x 2

i say this in my head: five two sixty thirty two, then keep 32 in mind by remembering 3 and the number before that. then eight ten five = five. thirtyseven sixty seventy two two = 4 = 74

how do you calculate this or can you explain it?
More or less the same.

2 30 (32) + 10 (5) --37, 60- 74

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd use BODMAS.....

Boackets Off
Divide
Multiply
Add
Subtract

Enjoy :D
Ah yes, the good old BODMAS. I had learnt it also as BIDMAS 'I' being 'Indices'.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My kids were talking about pemdas and I'm like... Nooo it's order of difficulty/order you are taught how to do the math. If I try to remember stuff with acronyms I spend the whole test trying to remember the acronym and if I happen to remember that I spend the whole time trying to remember what the letters stand for. That's if I actually disciplined myself to learn the acronym to start with.

"order of difficulty/order you are taught how to do the math"

Parentheses go first, obviously (you probably even learn it last since it's part of the "what order" lesson)
Exponents go second because they are the last thing you learned in math of the group (and are "hardest")
Division and multiplication are next, also next in line of learning/hardness scale
Addition and subtraction you learned first so you are going to do them last.

It's like peeling an onion, the order you learn them in is covering up the center answer so you have to peel each layer to get to the answer. You can't do addition first because multiplication and division cover that layer up.

I apparently have issues.

Does anyone else think like this??

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
for example this: ((5-3+(6x5)) + (8+2-5)) x 2

i say this in my head: five two sixty thirty two, then keep 32 in mind by remembering 3 and the number before that. then eight ten five = five. thirtyseven sixty seventy two two = 4 = 74

how do you calculate this or can you explain it?

no fives, -3 and 2 make -1 and thirty makes 29, and 40 and 18 is 58, whoops forgot 8, 58 and 16 makes 74.

The overuse of parentheses annoyed me.

I like Habba's line by line so here was mine
((5-3+(6x5)) + (8+2-5)) x 2
-3 + (6x5) + 2
-1 + (6X5)
-1 + 30
29 X 2
Done
58 + 2(8)
Now really done.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9

((5-3+(30)) + (8+2-5)) x 2
((2+(30)) + (8+2-5)) x 2
((32) + (8+2-5)) x 2
((32) + (5)) x 2
37 x 2
30 x 2 + 7 x 2
60 + 14

Here it is, line by line.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
((5-3+(30)) + (8+2-5)) x 2
((2+(30)) + (8+2-5)) x 2
((32) + (8+2-5)) x 2
((32) + (5)) x 2
37 x 2
30 x 2 + 7 x 2
60 + 14

Here it is, line by line.

Perfect down to the last rule. :)

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
look at math problem... vaguely attempt solving math problem until I realize that it's boring because I don't even know WHY I'm solving it (I beleive in story problems and story problems only)... conclude "fuck it!" and check out someone else's answer :D

this is pretty close to my method except I stop trying to solve it outright in the exact moment after I see the math problem.

Like OP's question, why would I solve that at home? mental masturbation? That's like normal masturbation with an iron claw (personally).

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I just switched into a college algebra class...this is going to be embarrassing but I'm scared

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

1. 6x5=30, 5-3=2, 2+30=32
2. 8+2=10-5=5
3. 32+5=37
4. 37+37=60+14=74.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ado - There's nothing embarrassing about being scared of math classes. I feel great pressure from them. I'm currently slowly sifting through a pre-calculus book right now to brush up on everything just to try and lower my anxiety about a year's worth of calculus classes.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Parentheses first, of course. 6x5 is thirty
5-3 is 2
30+2 is 32
10-5 is 5
32+5 is 37.
37X2 is 74

Some basic "Please excuse my dear aunt Sally." haha. Man, surprised that mnemonic stuck. :doh:

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
My kids were talking about pemdas and I'm like... Nooo it's order of difficulty/order you are taught how to do the math. If I try to remember stuff with acronyms I spend the whole test trying to remember the acronym and if I happen to remember that I spend the whole time trying to remember what the letters stand for. That's if I actually disciplined myself to learn the acronym to start with.

"order of difficulty/order you are taught how to do the math"

Parentheses go first, obviously (you probably even learn it last since it's part of the "what order" lesson)
Exponents go second because they are the last thing you learned in math of the group (and are "hardest")
Division and multiplication are next, also next in line of learning/hardness scale
Addition and subtraction you learned first so you are going to do them last.

It's like peeling an onion, the order you learn them in is covering up the center answer so you have to peel each layer to get to the answer. You can't do addition first because multiplication and division cover that layer up.

I apparently have issues.

Does anyone else think like this??

actually yes that made a lot of sense to me! thank you! never had algebra expained to me like that. think it'll stick!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ado - There's nothing embarrassing about being scared of math classes. I feel great pressure from them. I'm currently slowly sifting through a pre-calculus book right now to brush up on everything just to try and lower my anxiety about a year's worth of calculus classes.

Slightly jealous. I haven't had to take any math since precalc my junior year in highschool and then college stats my senior year. After that since I was in nursing and tested through college math I haven't taken any since, and it was one of my better and more enjoyed subjects. (I spose I could still take it, but would be silly since I don't need it.) I was asked to be on math team and high school but that was wayyy nerdy!! If I went back and did it all over again I woulda been a mathlete, I think. :doh:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

32+5=37x2=74

I find the over usage of useless brackets annoying. I just see what's the result from these brackets because they're just too simple. And there really isn't a need for all those brackets.

(5-3+(6x5)+8+2-5)x2 is what the notation should be.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

32+5=37x2=74

I find the over usage of useless brackets annoying. I just see what's the result from these brackets because they're just too simple. And there really isn't a need for all those brackets.

(5-3+(6x5)+8+2-5)x2 is what the notation should be.

Definitely. Brackets are only useful insofar as they divide numbers and operations on the basis of order of execution.