• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you consider yourself resilient?

WoodsWoman

MBTI Type
INFP
Resilience - is it really about feeling good - or getting back to feeling good quickly? Or is it about keeping going, doing what needs to be done no matter what seems to be the odds? To be amazed at what humanity can overcome? Finding out that joy and pain go hand in hand, that joy can only be found in accepting the fact that pain will be part of the package?

It's got a lot to do with just plain not giving up in my opinion.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never thought of myself as resilient but I've heard that word used to describe me. I've thought of myself as more broken by things that aren't a big deal than the average person, but in the end, I'm still standing, at least so far.

I definitely don't relate to any of the qualities associated with a "resilient attitude" in the OP, though. I survive things on my own terms in my own way.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I consider myself resilient, but not exactly like the OP describes. I think it is based on a deep realism that rejects toxic positivity and attempts to reject toxic negativity. I appear very fragile and sensitive, and in a way I am, but I'm actually a hard-ass at my core. It is because my life has been tough and I haven't been coddled.

I'm a lot like a stray cat. I can survive more than I want to, but I'm ready to be adopted and have a forever home.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In theory I am, I recover quickly from small things. But if something "large" rocks my world I don't recover quickly at all - I dwell on it a long time, even years.

I tend to need to talk things out that bother me so if I can do that, usually I'm ok. If I don't get to talk things out, for whatever reason, I don't get over things.

In my older age, my answer is probably closer to this.

My first response long ago is still kinda accurate, but it seems a little silly at this point to believe myself to be super resilient. I think as is true with most things, in some ways I'm way more resilient than a lot of people, in a few other ways, I am maybe not. Put another way, some things really bother some people greatly, that don't impact me in the slightest or that I can move on or let go of a lot faster. And, some things seem to take me a while to process. I do think the talking it out is huge, though. Very huge, that external calibration; trusted person is the key, though, whether just a trusted coworker or a friend.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Yes, naturally, but much less so in the last handful of years, on and off.

For me, wounds become a permanent part of my timeline. My timeline becomes my story, and I can sometimes confuse my story with Me. As pains and traumas have accumulated, I've noticed that the fall into the pit is longer, the darkness deeper, and the waters colder. It's like every painful addition to the timeline is another strike of the shovel into the hole. It just becomes harder to crawl out of... more difficult to muster the strength to shout for help... and it just seems like it takes forever to make it to the top. Falling into the pit at this point in life can feel pretty hopeless.

I think though that there's this ledge in there now. I probably made it with my feet while I was hanging onto the top edge too long, stubbornly delaying climbing out the rest of the way. I wasted an awful lot of time in that position, slowly moving in circles. But doing that dug out this footing platform, and so now when I slip over the edge of the pit, I catch myself there and am quickly reminded of what it's like to fall to the bottom.

I don't care to spend so much time in there, so I feel my resilience had rebounded a bit in a way that feels more familiar to me.

Faery

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very, although it feels like I'm unwilling to be, I am.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah. If I were, then I wouldn’t have to wear this thick hazmat suit

Mole

Permabanned
They tested my resilience by ostracising me to the Graveyard for an indeterminate period of time, and I survived.

You might say, I came back from the dead.

Last edited:

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I really don't what to say. I think I am more resilient towards the major events in my life, but not as much the smaller events. I hate this about myself, because I feel like when I'm asking for help I feel like people see me as a little kid who needs guidance in the world rather than someone who is in genuine pain. I am in genuine pain, though. I think it's a few different things-society would say my mom dying is a big event, and while it is a big event in terms of shaping how my life turned out it didn't cause me much pain. It's something that's out of my hands, and plus the pains that stick with me most are the ones that cause me to feel disgusted by myself. How is that going to cause me to feel disgusted by myself? Meanwhile, me saying to someone, "You're the first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning", is, or forgetting to do something important. Or, a more stereotypically big event, getting creeped on. And even something that is a big event that happened for me, getting kicked out of school, I've made goals for myself that have helped me mostly move on from it and heal from it. How I am going to heal from the cringe memories, have my brain hooked up to a machine and have the memory deleted? Actually, I would say I'm resilient in the sense I'm willing to take the bad moments and turn them into an opportunity to improve myself.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I used to be (more) resilient, but currently I am not. I'm a lot more sensitive than I give myself credit for as well as a lot more of a quiter, these traits have only grown within me with age. I'm not sure if this is due to the wear and tear associated with my life or if I was just soft from the get go.

I don't think resilience is something I won't have again though and am confident in my ability to rebuild that. For now I'll make up for that lack in persistence.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never thought of myself as resilient but I've heard that word used to describe me. I've thought of myself as more broken by things that aren't a big deal than the average person, but in the end, I'm still standing, at least so far.

I definitely don't relate to any of the qualities associated with a "resilient attitude" in the OP, though. I survive things on my own terms in my own way.
I've changed my mind. I think I AM resilient at the core. I overreact, which causes me to have urges to give up, very constantly, but I never really do give up. It's not really in my nature, and I always have something in me that wants to prove myself. Sometimes it takes me a while to get back up, or to heal, but I think things are going upward in terms of my self-improvement. I don't recover quickly from mental illness symptoms, but the thing is, I am trying to work around them, and it's a constant obstacle that I try to fight.

I don't relate to much of what the OP describes as a positive attitude, but I'm realistic (a bit too cynical though), and known for persistence and determination. And those are important traits to have.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My ugly baby show (see above) should feature the image below in the title.

ATTACH]

Attachments

• 1636515986446.png
    1636515986446.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 1

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am highly resilient, but have endured too much trauma to go unscathed in the long run. You cannot really "heal" trauma, you can only mediate it. I'm quite functional, and operate well under stress. Most people who have been through what I have, are generally non-functional. The issues I deal with are either not that bad, or I am just that good at dealing with them.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My flight response kicks in pretty quickly. If I decide that my situation would not be psychologically healthy for me in the long-run, then I can be pretty damn adaptable in terms of finding alternative solutions and even sacrificing security for the benefit of not having to endure those circumstances. This usually occurs if I feel trapped and am unable to cope how I normally do by making changes to my situation to improve it. If I am utterly miserable, I would say my resilience is honestly quite low and I am likely to remain depressed until I escape. I have the highest threshold for stress when it comes to relationships I value, so it feels more like a challenge than a threat.

Last edited:

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
by the first definition absolutely. But some days it sure doesnt feel like that.