• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

If you're sexay, are you more likely to be an extrovert?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Teslashock, why must you show that hideous face in the OP? Is that what you imagine when thinking of introverts?

Sunless

MBTI Type
INxx
Also, as far as the whole "you are born with an E/I preference", I don't think that's genetically engrained in us. This is especially true of E/I, as that letter only minorly switches around some of your functions. Is it so hard to fathom that our environment might play a role in our changing/defining our character? Hmmm...:thinking:

Well, not according to Jung and most of the theories that sprang from his work. According to Jung, E/I is the the most radical and important distinction in a temperament's configuration. A change in function order is in no way minor. There truly is a difference between say, Ne filtered through Ti and Ti filtered through Ne. HUGE difference there. Functions dont work separately, the secondary function works THROUGH the dominant one. So you cant just switch the order of your functions on command or through life even.

Ill see if i can find a link with what Jung said on extroversion and introversion... it really is an eye opener.

Oh and also, to address the other questions.. there is a difference between temperament, character and personality. While the last two are build upon the temperament and are changeable and shaped by our environment, most authors agree that we are born with -yes- a set of genetically inherited traits that constitute what in psychology is called temperament. Authors differ on what consitutes part of this inherited temperament, most of them agree that energy levels and/or E/I is part of it.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Well, not according to Jung and most of the theories that sprang from his work. According to Jung, E/I is the the most radical and important distinction in a temperament's configuration. A change in function order is in no way minor. There truly is a difference between say, Ne filtered through Ti and Ti filtered through Ne. HUGE difference there. Functions dont work separately, the secondary function works THROUGH the dominant one. So you cant just switch the order of your functions on command or through life even.

Ill see if i can find a link with what Jung said on extroversion and introversion... it really is an eye opener.

Oh and also, to address the other questions.. there is a difference between temperament, character and personality. While the last two are build upon the temperament and are changeable and shaped by our environment, most authors agree that we are born with -yes- a set of genetically inherited traits that constitute what in psychology is called temperament. Authors differ on what consitutes part of this inherited temperament, most of them agree that energy levels and/or E/I is part of it.

Yes I've heard this theory that we are born with a genetically encoded personality. I don't buy it though. Our environment has way too much of an impact on us. Genes can only do so much, especially when it comes to the mind.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Extroverts tend to be more vain. Introverts have higher quality, longer lasting, sexyness.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wouldn't say they were correleated, part of sexiness is how people are peceived rathwr than absolutely beauty, therefore coy shy can be very sexy.

As for absolute beautify I also think that doens't correlate. know many very attractive I types and some E's. I'd say moreI's but then that might be because of my own values.

As opposed to people in the public eye, which are a different species altogether

P

Phantonym

Attractiveness, the notion of "sexy", comes in different forms (physical, psychological, you name it) to different people. I think it mostly boils down to self-esteem and self-confidence. People who feel good about themselves and who feel comfortable in their bodies, who are in the mindset that they are attractive (not so much dwelling on being attractive to others around them but being confident in themselves just as they are), then I think it is reasonable to believe that they are more likely to share themselves by being outgoing and an "extravert" in that sense. These people can be introverts or extraverts according to the typology theory, so in that sense I think there's not much correlation.

Mole

Permabanned
I find moral courage attractive. It touches something deep inside me. I almost worship moral courage.

And usually those showing moral courage do so without the slightest self consciousness. And it is this lack of self consciousness that makes them loveable.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Have you seen some of the introverted womenz of this forum? total stunners, so no, I don't think E or I has anything to do with good looks.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
tl;dr

1) The 'extravert' as in everyday use != MB 'extravert'.
2) People on the disfavoured side of society (either because of their looks, or because of 994834 other reasons) are more likely to develop introverted tendencies.

People in the center are not more good-looking (0 correlation), but definitely are more ready to accept social norms, so they might seem to be more "wanted".

That's all the information you will get. So to answer your question: no.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Aren't the introverts the proverbial hot girl in glasses that no one realizes is attractive until she takes off the glasses and goes to the school dance with the local quarterback?

Basically extroverts are more attuned to the external labels of attractiveness and are more likely to display these for all to see whereas the introvert doesn't care as much. This is actually something that amazed me at just how directly people think and behave. If you don't advertise something, it is assumed you don't have it.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Basically extroverts are more attuned to the external labels of attractiveness and are more likely to display these for all to see whereas the introvert doesn't care as much. This is actually something that amazed me at just how directly people think and behave. If you don't advertise something, it is assumed you don't have it.

Seriously? No. I have way less idea what makes "attractiveness" than most women.

Depending on the other letters I have much more in common with many introverts than I do with some extroverts. We really should all know this. :doh:

tastes_like_purple

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
Aaaargh my eyesss!!....too much baby oil *shudder* How the hell is he not sliding all over the...pahahaha....nevermind. Horrific mental images xD

Nah your either hot or your not I guess. Extroverts would just tend to flaunt it more I'd say, not that i'm speaking from experience *blinding grin* ;D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
This makes no sense. If anything, the opposite is true.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Mm. I guess E,S (not in this order - just more important than T-F, P-J) are the dichotomies most associated (positively correlated) with how carefully a person cares about his-her own personal appearance. Which isn't necessarily correlated with sexiness, but it can be perceived as such at first impact.

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Attractiveness, the notion of "sexy", comes in different forms (physical, psychological, you name it) to different people. I think it mostly boils down to self-esteem and self-confidence. People who feel good about themselves and who feel comfortable in their bodies, who are in the mindset that they are attractive (not so much dwelling on being attractive to others around them but being confident in themselves just as they are), then I think it is reasonable to believe that they are more likely to share themselves by being outgoing and an "extravert" in that sense. These people can be introverts or extraverts according to the typology theory, so in that sense I think there's not much correlation.

That's exactly what I think, too.

Aren't the introverts the proverbial hot girl in glasses that no one realizes is attractive until she takes off the glasses and goes to the school dance with the local quarterback?

I don't like that notion. I feel drawn to exactly those girls before they take off their glasses and try to conform to the common standards of attractiveness.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I think a big factor in "attractiveness" is just being well kempt and having a style that works well for you.

Example:
Cameron Diaz
cameron-diaz.jpg

and

Cameron Diaz (Being John Malkovich)
4143963.jpg

You could argue that if you're an extrovert, you'd care more about this stuff, but really, regardless of everything else, looking presentable is nice, if only for yourself.

And a second example, because Being John... is cool like that.

John Cusack
john-cusack.jpg

and

John Cusack + Diaz
being_john_malkovich_xl_03--film-A.jpg

I'm not totally sure what all this really ads to the topic, except for pictures and the point that you should keep yourself clean. And that I don't think appeal has to do with intro/extroversion.

Also, Japanese Geisha's - totally introverted, right?
geisha1small.gif