• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Survey of genuineness and acting in TypoC. Roles in persona and in type.

Check those that apply.

• The most meaningful interaction ensues from revealing one's true self.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Being genuine and real is important, but there's got to be some character play involved.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • With a medium as insignificant as an internet forum, who bothers to be real?

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Real, true people are real characters - they never waver in their style of expression.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Real people exhibit change and development in their style, and they question themselves publicly.

Votes: 25 62.5%
  • Playing a character in here is a detriment to our understanding of type.

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Some of the people in here are fake.

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Playing some character, perhaps a type stereotype, gets and approval from the forum members.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • I would like to know the level of genuinety of every poster.

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • I don't take anything seriously, it's all play.

• Too many people in here maintain too good of an image to be "true" in any respect.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Character players are mostly found in the E category as opposed to I.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Character players are mostly found in the N category as opposed to S.

• Character players are mostly found in the T category as opposed to F.

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Character players are mostly found in the P category as opposed to J.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Someone who acts consistently as type X gets my respect.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Someone who acts a type consistently makes a service to the forum.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • It is an insult to a person to question whether they are real.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Many people in here feel like they've been lifted off a book.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • The concept of type can be detrimental to people if it hinders development and change.

Votes: 32 80.0%

• Total voters

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
if I'm not a genius, am I not allowed to answer?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ahh did I made a typo with a) genius b) genuine
and their derivatives? As you might know, I'm not a native English speaker (or writer), but I meant the option b.

How is it spelled then?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Oh i misread, sorry. I honestly though it said "geniusness" and not genuineness.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Okay. There ARE errors in my survey tho. Q8 should have "an" instead of "and", and the most important error,
Questions of the form "Character players are mostly found in the X category as opposed to Y." may rendered almost useless, if people ignore that question - in that case, "not answer Z" can't be used to imply "not Z". :( It's really my fault, but .. it's only part of the survey.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think a "real true self" exists.
When at school I define myself as a teacher and I act as a teacher and I'm more a teacher than anywhere else.
When writing, I define myself as an amateur writer, I act as an amateur writer and I'm more of a writer than anywhere else.
On this forum, I define myself as an ENTP, I act as an ENTP and I'm more of an ENTP than anywhere else.

What's wrong with that?

Should I question myself and doubt whether I'm a real teacher (writer, ENTP) or just someone pretending to be a teacher (writer, ENTP)? I teach. I feel good while teaching. I'm happy when students understand new things because of me. That MAKES me a teacher, doesn't it? Two years ago, I wasn't a teacher. Now I am.

I don't care whether people on this forum are playing roles or not. To me, that's a part of being yourself - a lot of roles to act. Some of them fit you better than others. Experiment with them and keep the ones that seem to fit you.
I use this forum to understand more about MBTI and character creating. It's all fun and games to me - and if, along the way, I answer people's questions and help them, that's all the better.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Thinking of myself as an ENTP for quite some time, I asked the same questions as you, and I ended up with the same answers. That ENTP-like versatility seems true in a sense, that interactions with such a person seem meaningful. That is not to be said of all kinds of acting, fakes and such - perhaps most of the other types have flawed idea of what it means to be another person, and their attempts fail.

I'm not really looking for some idealistically derived idea of "true", but I'm rather worried about my perception that some people's characters are perfect, hard and shallow, or some other annoying and unrealistic combination of traits, and the interaction with them does not seem meaningful. The problem is more of the quality of interaction; descriptions "true", "fake", and "acting" are attempts to describe the phenomenon.

It might be that some persons have even less sense of interaction than me, and they're trying to learn to present themselves. As a school teacher, I'm sure you will subscribe to the fact that some people's definition of "personality" is "acting out". Any loudmouths in the class who make themselves the best in anything? Any quiet ones?

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thinking of myself as an ENTP for quite some time..
What?! And I've looked at you as my very first realistic ENTJ example! If you aren't an ENTJ I'm back to square one for my MBTI understanding... Sigh.

Okay... answering the questions now. There are a bunch of different people in my classes. I'm really bad at reading people. To me, "acting out to hide a sensitive heart" or "acting out because you like the attention" looks just the same and I'll respond the same to it. Probably not the best way to interact with a class, but it's the best I can do... for now.
I'm getting better at teaching by experience. I guess, in function language, my Fe is getting a workout :D

Acting a teacher, I've become a teacher. I'm still developing in that way. Why not? If you looked at me last year, you'd probably think I was a theoretical physicist acting a teacher's role... You can grow in a role and become the thing you act. It's also possible you realise you'll never grow in a role and it will never fit you.

Now I'm trying to become a writer... by writing.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
No, I thought I was ENTP 2 years ago, when I was still struggling with burnout, and couldn't do J-like stuff. It's not my real thing. ENTJ is, If I have to choose a best-fitting type. Perhaps I expressed myself unclearly.

But ok, thanks for the examples in class, I'll have to respond better when there's time available.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found the questions inherent in the poll options intriguing... hope there is more serious response here, especially to role-playing on type forums...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
he he.... I think everyone knows my take on this one :blush:

ok- not hardly anyone anymore come to think of it- damn, I'm old...

pretending to be another type can be a legitimate form of social experimentation- especially in the old days when this site was even more N dominated than it is now!

Chloe

pretending to be another type can be a legitimate form of social experimentation- especially in the old days when this site was even more N dominated than it is now!

i dont think i'd last more than 3 posts in pretending to be an NT. I cant even fake it. :doh: but thought about how it'd be good experiment, faking all 16 types in videos and then ask people to vote for "the real me" one.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah, the forum has probably gotten twice the size or more, compared to what it was in your days.. but, we're believing these are your days too, not just those in the past, right? ;)