• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What makes someone likable?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
A likable person is one that doesn't feel threatening to you and fascinates you in some form (is different from you).

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
machiavelli.jpg

One can generally say this about men: that they are ungrateful and fickle. Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

So what's the consensus? Was that guy likable or not?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^Ironically, anyone who could write the truth so baldly can't really be described as Machiavellian.

I admire honesty. Liking implies a personal relationship so that's not relevant here.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
machiavelli.jpg

One can generally say this about men: that they are ungrateful and fickle. Since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.

I'd like to know his definition of "safe", I'll tell you that.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're likable if you show you like me.

Well, it predisposes me to like you, anyway. If you meet me halfway and we assume each other likable till proven not so much.

Good faith, that's it.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd like to know his definition of "safe", I'll tell you that.

In the context of "The Prince", safety is framed in relation to the Prince's ability to retain power. In that context only, safety means not losing power. So Machiavelli is speaking directly to the idea of popular opinion. Is it better to be loved by the people or to be feared by the people? In Machiavelli's view, fear, as an emotional state of influence, is more enduring and less susceptible to the essential fickleness of man.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
machiavelli.jpg

Is that his picture? If it is, there might be a little silly streak hidden behind those serious eyes. I would like him well enough. I'd be curious about what emotional experiences resulted in his assumptions about humanity as a whole. I think he wishes for appreciation and loyalty from friends. I wouldn't care to debate his view of humanity, but might endeavor to offer a friendship that places some of his negative assumptions into question. He suggests that people have been fickle an ungrateful towards himself. There might be a compelling reason behind his thoughts, so I could learn a great deal from knowing him.

People are complicated, maybe especially the negative ones, so they are always interesting and can teach me something by knowing them. More than like or dislike, I think in terms of potency. Does this person rejuvenate me or make me tired. That might make the most sense to people who are observers on one level like myself.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Is that his picture? If it is, there might be a little silly streak hidden behind those serious eyes. I would like him well enough. I'd be curious about what emotional experiences resulted in his assumptions about humanity as a whole. I think he wishes for appreciation and loyalty from friends. I wouldn't care to debate his view of humanity, but might endeavor to offer a friendship that places some of his negative assumptions into question. He suggests that people have been fickle an ungrateful towards himself. There might be a compelling reason behind his thoughts, so I could learn a great deal from knowing him.

Niccolo Machiavelli is often humorous in his work. I remember an especially lyrical passage where he describes how much he loves to return home in the evening to don his robes (no heaters in those days) and commune with the voices of the past as he read for hours in his library. He had an amazingly noble soul and a fantastic mind with a keen perception of social interaction. I would consider him the essential ENTP philosopher as ENTP's are concerned chiefly with the big picture as it relates to the world of human affairs.

His letters are recommended if you would want to learn more about this very complex and interesting man: The Letters of Machiavelli

heart

heart on fire
People who seem quietly kind are the ones I tend to enjoy dealing with the most and gravitate towards.

Kollin

MBTI Type
INXP
kindness
compassionate
originality (too much conventionality bores me)
thoughtfullness
modesty

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you talking about the universal idea of charisma and the ability to magnetize others to them? The people with that x-factor thing called charisma often seem to be agreeable, at least. Charismatic people have to be somehow unique outside of their ability to draw people to them. I wouldn't know how to describe charismatic people past that.

Or are you asking about people's preferences in others? In that case, I like people who are cool. =/ I don't know what to say.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP

I would say that would be true more for me in the case of the opposite gender. When it comes to guys however it's most certainly not a requirement. I like people who have interesting thoughts, are quick, flexible, curious, and have a knack for phrasing things and viewing things in another way. I also like people who are up for a little competition and argument, I don't like the compliant types much. People who aren't afraid to challenge and don't withhold their comments and can support them at will.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Someone who doesn't automatically assume they know me through and through.