• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which types are most likely to acquire eating disorders?

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
A specific type... I'm not sure if I have seen that. The ones I have/had conversations with are: ISFJ, ESFP, ESTP, INTJ, and INFJ.

Mine started with the need to cleanse myself... after internalizing a traumatic occurrence. It started concurrently with other obsessive compulsive habits... e.g. cleaning shoes and makeup containers with hydrogen peroxide.. as well as removing as much as possible.. throwing out anything that wasn't a necessity. I used tables and charts to record everything, even though I ate the same thing every day. I did everything in 2's. I was obsessive with exercise. It was that exhausted feeling that I really liked... probably a chemical thing? After a few years of that I went into a depression... I assume years of a lack of certain nutrients and sleep can't be entirely unrelated to that outcome. I think it can look very "J", but I'm definitely not "J"... I have heard that strong Ti can have qualities that mimic "J"..?

There is a lot of resentment directed towards the people who try to stop it... and really, I don't think anyone can stop it, even the individual.. to an extent. You almost refuse to consider it unhealthy... actually, I remember thinking I was very healthy. At the same time, I'd wear ankle weights under my jeans if I had a doctor's appointment, cover bruises with concealer, wear looser/thicker shirts when not only hip bones had to be concealed... if you know what i mean, blame back spasms on swimming, etc.

In the journals I used to keep I commonly wrote about disappearing-- just that it would be nice to get away. The other part stemmed from a need to be accomplished. It made me feel disciplined. I attract girls with eating disorders. When the topic comes up, a common statement is, "I don't know if I'll ever be able to do something as well as I did this." One common conclusion is, "I have to get outside of myself." ....IN?

InfiniteIntrigue

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp
I'm guessing INFPs? because some seem extremely self-loathing. I could see potentially any feeler do it because they feel upset about things, but I also believe thinkers can acquire a disorder because they don't feel they measure up to their own standards.

everything-stranger

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Could be right... But it (eating disorders) also seems so very illogical, which would point in the direction of F.

So, illogical =/= F, necessarily, but that point aside, mental illness has nothing to do with how logical you are, though Fs may suffer from it more often because of how in tune with their emotions they are. I'm currently in a treatment program for Anorexia Nervosa as an ENTJ. Think about it this way: Anorexia is often about control and perfectionism. That's pretty ENTJ. But again, it's a mental illness, not a choice, and there are many factors, including genetics, abuse history, and brain chemistry.

baccheion

ESFPs and ISFPs, probably, mainly because Se could easily lead to difficulty controlling impulses, and being a feeler (irrational, goes with feelings, more concerned with what others think) doesn't help.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Any type can develop an eating disorder.

INFPs, INTJs, INFJs - because of their high perfecionism and idealism

ENFPs, ESFPs, ESTPs, or ENTPs - because of their self-control issues and desire for attention or appriciation

ISFJs, ESFJs, ENFJs - becuse they just want to be good enough for others to like them

ENTJs or ESTJs - because self-control and order matter too much