• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

bored of sanity and insane - unhealthy or not?

foolish heart

MBTI Type
ISTP
when i become bored of sanity i act insane

is it real insanity if you are in control but still prefer it at times?

even if it isnt real, everything has consequences... is this behavior unhealthy? how so?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Define what you mean by crazy...

If you mean that you sometimes act a little funky when you chill out and act a little wild and crazy in a fun way that doesn't hurt yourself or other people, it's all good....

If however you act in a way that is harmful to yourself or others, that is not okay.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If by "insane" you simply mean defying social conventions, then no, that's not insanity. Often times adolescents do this out of normal teenage rebellion, and adults do it sometimes because they are stressed out, or simply don't believe in social conventions.

People who are "insane" are not in control of themselves, and think bizarre thoughts, act inappropriately often without their conscious knowledge, become paranoid, or deluded, etc. People with mood disorders become too depressed to function normally, or so elated that they do very extreme things out of character like steal, gamble their entire life savings away, or other out of character reckless behavior. This may or may not include excessive merriment or laughter. Some people who are manic or hypomanic simply become irritable and lose their ability to make sensible decisions for themselves.

If it's within your control, the behavior could be unhealthy if you consciously and consistently do it to cause pain to others, or to self-destruct.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Yep, which is why I said that the key is:

Do you cause short-term or long-term/permanent damage to yourself or others with this behavior?

If not, the answer is no. If so, the answer is yes, it is a problem and should be fixed.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
when i become bored of sanity i act insane

is it real insanity if you are in control but still prefer it at times?

even if it isnt real, everything has consequences... is this behavior unhealthy? how so?

Most insane people are not aware of they are insane.. if you are aware, you are not insane!!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Most insane people are not aware of they are insane.. if you are aware, you are not insane!!

That's actually not true. Schizophrenics can lose touch with reality to the point that they don't know what's going on. But. Even schizophrenic people can know when they are sick...my sister is schizoaffective and seeks help when she starts feeling strange. It's a myth that you're not crazy if you realize something's wrong. Bipolar people are actually highly likely to acknowledge that they are ill and seek help.

But the difference is that, even if you know it is happening, it feels beyond your control, like you can't make it stop. If you are consciously doing these things, then it probably isn't schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. But if you're doing it intentionally to harm self or others, it could be a personality disorder or something.