• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Debate!

ubiquitous1

Objectively, meaning we can observe every aspect of our mind and personality at one time, while making rational decisions about it?

Btw, ubiquitous, explain your questions.

In my opinion, in order to be objective, you need facts.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my opinion, in order to be objective, you need facts.

Not that I am not agreeing with you, in fact I am agreeing that statement. However, are you saying that you do not have the proper facts about yourself to be objective?

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
No body believes anything in this thread or any nearly anything under the umbrella of philosophy for that matter.
If you lived up to the expectations said philosophy your life would look completely different.
Get a grip people.

Call me a pragmatist, but none of these ideas have any practical application and are therefor nullified.

What do all these things even mean? Seriously? Serious words for fiction.

P.S. Facts are nothing in-and-of-themselves. A single fact has an infinite number of implications and, therefor, requirements.
Facts are an Ne overload.

ubiquitous1

Not that I am not agreeing with you, in fact I am agreeing that statement. However, are you saying that you do not have the proper facts about yourself to be objective?

Basically. I have personal standards, not facts. Too many people confuse the two.

ubiquitous1

P.S. Facts are nothing in-and-of-themselves. A single fact has an infinite number of implications and, therefor, requirements.
Facts are an Ne overload.

You’re correct, facts are nothing in-and-of themselves. However, how can you be objective without a way to quantify ?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Going to bed, the conclusion for the night.

Objectivity is reached when you have a fundamental understanding of yourself the good, bad, and ugly. Then you can notice where your influence occurred in a situation rather than if you had not been there at all. Experience locks in this perspective, because despite whether it is motivation or observation, you can test the accuracy of everything I stated above.

Self awareness leads to objectivity if one seeks to understand anything more than themselves.

I suppose it is a difference in perspective...

We are not the world, the world is something we have an idea of or influence on, given all the information available.

This is objectivity.

Hmm.

What separates a fundamental understanding of oneself from a non-fundamental understanding? Is there some metric I'm missing?

Sounds like you reference this scale as the determinant between fulfilling an objective evaluation of the self vs. a non-objective evaluation. What does this mean? Are there other requirements to achieving unbias?

Even after reaching this point (if point there be), how do we know we aren't cheating ourselves, as a way to fulfill our expectations for success?

'Objectivity' is a nebulous concept. It's too holistic to encompass anything meaningful.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think that to be truly objective, you need to be able to hold infinite view-points in mind without any subjective factors effecting even one of them. I don't think that's possible.

In-terms of what's generally accepted as objective though, I think that you could view yourself in that way. It would be very hard though.

Mole

Permabanned
Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) was an astronomer who discovered the motions of the planets by measurement.

And it is measurement that determines the facts.

Without measurement we would still think the Sun goes round the Earth.

And without measurement we would still believe astrology or MBTI.

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
how can you be objective without a way to quantify ?

No one is objective. Who even said being objective is something to pursue?

This whole thread sounds like philosophical marketing bullshit.