• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do people want to be normal or speshul?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Good picture!
Do people really think that though? It's obviously can't all be true as there are individuals that think of themselves as normal people.

I dunno, I think so. I remember having to listen to this guy's essay on how he was a contradiction because he thought orchestrated music and metal went together well, when, well, a lot of other people do too, so it doesn't seem very contradictory.

Normal is a baseline, something stripped of all personality. People want to achieve it because they think it is relatable, people want to achieve uniqueness because they think it is interesting. It really depends on which you value more.

Snow Turtle

Haha, I know my wording was terrible. Just trying to show that I got where you are coming from.

"Normal" actions and behaviors would have to be determined by the people around you. Like,

you seek out people who you've labelled as unique, because you want to feel normal within your group. But, you must have some kind of a baseline in your life, with all the people that you've met, as to what you feel is truly normal in the broader sense. Because if those unique people that you're hanging out with are not normal, what is? And how did you determine this? It MUST have been the others in your life, otherwise, how would you know?

Now, imagine those unique friends of yours. Imagine that EVERYONE you met was the same way as those unique friends, then what would you consider to be normal?

I think that makes sense.
(It makes sense in my own head.)

Yup. That does make sense.

The baseline in my case has been defined as what shown in that picture posted by Haphazard, my idea of society, what is considered to be 'normal behaviour' in my eyes.

But still that doesn't really tell me whether most people see themselves as different from society. The picture indicates that this is true, but the fact that there are people who identify themselves as normal destroys the argument that all people share this idea.

Hence the question: What's the ratio?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
If I say to myself I am unique, it is something I perceive of myself. But, if I say to myself I am normal, I imagine other people perceiving me in a certain way. Or, do I say that I am normal because I am mimicking other people as I perceive them? Or am I unique because I am opposing what I see other people doing? Or am I unique because I see other people seeing me abnormal?

I'm confused now.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depends on who you're hanging around with.
Many circles want you to be the same or similar to fit in, and then that would be the norm.
I think you are thinking about something else. I'm not sure you got what I meant.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yup. That does make sense.

The baseline in my case has been defined as what shown in that picture posted by Haphazard, my idea of society, what is considered to be 'normal behaviour' in my eyes.

But still that doesn't really tell me whether most people see themselves as different from society. The picture indicates that this is true, but the fact that there are people who identify themselves as normal destroys the argument that all people share this idea.

Hence the question: What's the ratio?

Poll time!!

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Maybe i want to see myself as unique because i want to be special. Normal is boring. Yet by being normal i fit in easily but then i have yet to meet someone exactly like me so am i possibly unique .. Lol.

Was that contradictory enough?

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
The ethic has DEFINITELY shifted to the "I want to stand out/be unique" side of things, and has been solidly in that camp for decades. I mentioned this in an unrelated thread the other day, but try to remember the last time you knew of a baby named John or Mary. First thing prospective parents look for now is a name that will "stand out" and "not be too common." The best way to be iconoclastic these days is to be completely conventional and proud of it.

But, like I said, can't trust those folks either - they're just ahead of the curve and their conventionality might just be an attempt to stand out in their own way. Maybe in a year or two, all the hipsters will eat at McDonalds and brag about watching American Idol.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Perhaps the socially ideal position is to be considered special by the norm. Generally speaking people probably desire both. It is a way of saying they are connected to a social group (normal) while at the same time maintaining individuality (special). Sometimes people desire a social group that is special, while maintaining a position of normality within that group. (I'm mildly tongue-tied here, I hope that was clear)

I have trouble connecting with people which can cause some isolation, but overall I think I manage. I am especially charmed by people who are out of step with the norm.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I want you to think I am special..

I just want to feel normal.. does that make sense?