• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Any introverts who are mistaken as extroverts by others?

Bubbleboy

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm surprised at how many people I know are surprised that I'm introverted. For most, their definition of introversion means quiet, shy or reserved, a loner, so there is a little ignorance there. Others, though, say that, based on my social interaction they are surprised at my I-ness. I guess because I am not the typical introvert in a lot of respects- in that I don't mind a large party, being the loudest, and all of that, etc, but it's unmistakeable when the next day, or even later in the day, I want to be ALONE! LOL. I'll go lock myself up in my house, in my room- not wanting to talk on the phone or txt or email, until I've had some time to 'recharge'.

I wasn't sure that I was introverted for sure until I recognized that about myself.

Anybody else so close to that I/E line that they are mistaken for extroverts?

Definitely and I'm nowhere near the "border" to introvert. I just spend most of my energy trying to read people. I'm certain only my intimate friends are aware that I'm an extravert.

I have heard it said though, that ENFPs are the most quiet of extraverts.

I had someone call me a "people person" once. I was never more offended.

This made my evening :D

Last edited:

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sometime forget I am an introvert when I party…or often when around friends, especially when I play the fool…or close family...on some dates…when acting in a professional capacity…or even here/in message boards…often can seem extroverted.

But I know am an introvert at heart. This is because really need a lot of alone time (or time with my cat) or in the very least away from people who talk incessantly or who are constantly emo.

I get along well with people who don’t speak English (and that’s the only language I speak).

Lark

I'm surprised at how many people I know are surprised that I'm introverted. For most, their definition of introversion means quiet, shy or reserved, a loner, so there is a little ignorance there. Others, though, say that, based on my social interaction they are surprised at my I-ness. I guess because I am not the typical introvert in a lot of respects- in that I don't mind a large party, being the loudest, and all of that, etc, but it's unmistakeable when the next day, or even later in the day, I want to be ALONE! LOL. I'll go lock myself up in my house, in my room- not wanting to talk on the phone or txt or email, until I've had some time to 'recharge'.

I wasn't sure that I was introverted for sure until I recognized that about myself.

Anybody else so close to that I/E line that they are mistaken for extroverts?

I dont have a strong preference either way, the strongest, most consistent traits that I demonstrate are iNtuiting and Judging.

It's highly dependent upon circumstances, sometimes I really want company and other times I really want to spend time alone reading, writing or something like that. I'm pretty balanced, most of my desire to spend time alone is probably a consequence of having to spend so much time with really difficult, draining people and if that were different it would be an entirely different story.

inebriato

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I get told that I come over as an extrovert. I have high energy around people, and tend to enage in converstation a lot, but my Fi is too high.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have people that have a hard time believing I'm introvert, yes. Mainly because they misunderstand the meaning of introvert, but I've been known to talk the hind leg off a dog, plus my sense of humour is not exactly the shy and retiring sort. That is until people figure how much time I spend alone, or have seen me walk out of a conversation and lock my self in my room, because I just can't handle talking any more (it can be like a switch at times, I'm on being all sparkley and charming, then I'm off, so drained I can barely offer a civil word.)

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
Many people misunderstand what introversion and extraversion mean. Just yesterday a friend of mine said that he thinks that Björk in an extravert, judging by her behaviour. I don't know wether Björk is an introvert or an extravert, but I know that you DON'T decide wether someone is introverted or extraverted by observing them in a limited set of situations where they may or may not use their most natural cognitive processes. Then this friend of mine said that perhaps he could see Björk as introverted because Björk seems to be contemplative-- as if an extravert couldn't be contemplative.

Maybe the problem is that most people don't know the exact definition of what introversion and extraversion mean. They think it's about shyness or how much one likes people or something like that. Some people have even thought that I'm an extravert... probably because I ask questions and make comments in class. A friend of mine once claimed that I'm extraverted because I'm clearly not shy because I read a book in a cafe which, in her opinion, is weird and therefore something that a shy person wouldn't do. :X Most people see me as an introvert, though (at least irl), which is correct.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
yep, and i'm like nope and they're like really? and I'm like yeah blah blah blah blah and they're like hmmmmm. I'm like yup and they're like are you sure? and I'm like yes I'm fucking sure just cuz i'm an introvert doesn't mean i don't like socializing ever just that people are draining and I need my space. basically I like you but at the end of the night I go into my room and you go where ever you go and I'll unwind before having to talk to you again. No I don't want to talk about it, because when I said i want to be alone i mean need to be before I rip your fucking face off. I get cranky if I'm around others too much.

:happy2::laugh::cheese:

B

beyondaurora

People never believe me when I make the "I'm an introvert" statement. I have my extrovert self which tends to come out at work and in social situations (the latter is mostly the manifestation of nervous energy), but when I'm alone or around people with whom I feel comfortable (my family), I'm in introvert heaven. I don't think my coworkers or customers would recognize me (or even like me) if they met me in my personal life. The smiling, I-have-the-answer, interested, taking-care-of-everyone-around-her young lady disappears and becomes quiet, moody, neutral, indecisive and lost in her own world.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
My mum comes across extroverted, but she's an INFJ. She's very outgoing, a lot more so than me. But she has to "recharge her batteries" alone.

My I is very high, and there could be the odd occasion somebody might think of me as as an E, but rare I'd say. Maybe when I'm tipsy! Or having my random outburst of craziness. But, stick around and I soon revert back to my true ways.

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
My mom's friends never believe her when she says that she's shy and introverted. She's talkative when in public but that's just her hiding her shyness. She's in fact very introverted. She spends most of her time on her own and always when my dad is excited about going out, my mom is stressed out and says she'd rather not go. She feels misunderstood because her friends dissmiss her when she says that she's shy and introverted, and I understand her. :(

My mom's probably an INFJ. (At least IxxJ, possibly ISTJ.)

What about youselves, people, have you ever thought that someone's extraverted and found out that they're introverted? Or have you thought that someone's introverted and found out that they're extraverted?

I used to believe, when I was about fourteen, that my best friend was extraverted. Back then I was so shy and quiet that I thought that nearly everyone else was extraverted. Also, my social intelligence had obviously not developped very much. I think I was as outgoing as my best friend when we were together, but when I wasn't with her, I was very quiet and shy. And my best friend was probably like that, too, when she wasn't with me, but I wasn't there to see her when she wasn't with me, so I thought that she's extraverted.

Another problem (besides people not understanding what introversion and extraversion mean) is that people often want to believe that the people they interact with act the same in every situation. People want to believe that they're friends are "authentic" with them, so they think that they're the same way with everyone and in all situations. That's quite childish. I think that when I realised, as in really understood, that people are not the same way all the time, that they might actually play a role when they're with me and then go home and be totally different, I was shocked. This realisation probably came to me when I was about... fifteen or sixteen, perhaps?

I feel kind of annoyed whenever I notice that some grown-ups haven't figured that out yet.

mrgorbachev

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
This is definitely something that happens to me-- people assume that I am extroverted because I'm fairly outgoing when I first meet people, and am usually the life of the party, especially if I am around one or two people I know and other new people. And then, when I start to withdraw a bit, people think I'm annoyed with them or depressed or something.

It also doesn't help that I have a naturally loud voice that carries, so everyone thinks I'm much louder than I am.

Soar337

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm probably mistaken. I often act like an extrovert around my friend, but just need time alone after.
Then again, sometimes I can be really quiet if I just don't feel like socializing, so it depends :)

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I mistake myself for an extrovert sometimes. Mainly because if I don't keep up a certain level of activity I start to get really lethargic. What breaks this illusion is when I've been around a lot of people for a long time in the day or have to be really active for a long period of time. When that happens I crash quickly and get into a bad mood.

Really, I think I'm somewhere in between E and I. I just know I relate to INFJs more than ENFJs, or any other type.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sometimes... I fairly often get people saying "you're really a people person" or "you get along so well with different types of people." But I'm not sure anyone has ever said "you're an extrovert" in those words. I think that having lived in busy social cosmopolitan cities for the last several years has sort of forced me to act more like an extrovert. But I do get very drained by too much interaction, at least the superficial variety. No question I'm an introvert.

I think "people person" can apply perfectly well to certain introverts, maybe especially INFJs and INFPs. We prefer intense one-on-one interaction to shallow interaction with many, but we certainly care about people a lot and need meaningful contact with people in our lives.