• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Please give me questions that polarize

ygolo

My termites win
I am asking just to get a feeling for how hard it is to make a personality SORTER instead of just an inventory or measuring instrument.

Please make up a statement that people will vehemently agree or disagree with...Or a polarizing question, with two poles.

Note while doing this, make it so that the question can be answered on a continuum between one answer or the other.

I am not sure how polarizing the following questions are, but here are some examples:

From 0 to a 100, how much do you hate yourself?

How much do you agree with the following statement (from 0% to 100%) "I have delusions of grandeur"

For your statements you can just make one, no need to add the "how much do you agree with ..."

You can just put (for instance): "I hate day dreaming"

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
The problem is the distribution along the dichotomies. It's gaussian. Most of the people are borderline. Take eg. E-I. Most people are in the middle. Some people are "rather introvert" or "rather extravert"; only a few are "extremely introvert" or "extremely extravert".
Basically, if you have more than one polarizing question, the same person can answer an "introvert" answer to one question and an "extravert" answer to the other; putting the person in the middle again.
If you have only one, you will be inaccurate. You can't call me 100% extravert because I like to organize get-togethers. You can't call me 100% introvert because I like reading.

Actually, your questions aren't polarizing, as they allow for "grey" answers. "Do you hate yourself more often than not" with only "yes" and "no" as answers, is polarizing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The majority of questions, there are also many reasons WHY someone might answer yes or no. It seems like a sorter device would have to look at multiple answers to triangulate intent/motivation, rather than just basing the sort on the individual answers to each.

For example:

It sounds like you're fishing for S/N here, but on its own this question does not determine that.
An INTP daydreams of new worlds and theories.
An ENFJ daydreams about community development.
An ISFJ daydreams about getting married and her wedding.
An ESTP daydreams of all the cool things he will be doing after school today or the sale he will make.

If you ask each one of them if they hate day dreaming, you have no idea whether you'll get a yes or no, it all depends on how they read that question.

ygolo

My termites win
I probably should have left out the fact that I was trying to get a feel for how hard it is to make a sorter.

The point here is to have the question itself be polarizing without cheating (that is without forcing a binary choice).

Forget Myers-Briggs.

Here is one I think would be polarizing. "I like eating babies." --with the standard 0 to 100 percent. We'll get a distribution that is either skewed a lot in one direction or bimodal, with people at the other mode being different.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The majority of questions, there are also many reasons WHY someone might answer yes or no. It seems like a sorter device would have to look at multiple answers to triangulate intent/motivation, rather than just basing the sort on the individual answers to each.

For example:

It sounds like you're fishing for S/N here, but on its own this question does not determine that.
An ESTP daydreams of all the cool things he will be doing after school today or the sale he will make.

If you ask each one of them if they hate day dreaming, you have no idea whether you'll get a yes or no, it all depends on how they read that question.
Exactly.

The word "daydreaming" apparently means something different to each type.
I have found this phenomenon quite frustrating.

ygolo

My termites win
The problem is the distribution along the dichotomies. It's gaussian. Most of the people are borderline. Take eg. E-I. Most people are in the middle. Some people are "rather introvert" or "rather extravert"; only a few are "extremely introvert" or "extremely extravert".
Basically, if you have more than one polarizing question, the same person can answer an "introvert" answer to one question and an "extravert" answer to the other; putting the person in the middle again.
If you have only one, you will be inaccurate. You can't call me 100% extravert because I like to organize get-togethers. You can't call me 100% introvert because I like reading.

I know all this. This adds naturally to the difficulty of making any sorting mechanism. The "middle of the road" syndrome is something ANY instrument that aims to sort will have. This is an artifact of averaging and the tendency for people to pick the middle option.

Actually, your questions aren't polarizing, as they allow for "grey" answers. "Do you hate yourself more often than not" with only "yes" and "no" as answers, is polarizing.

Allowing "grey" answers was kind of the point. If you force people to chose between two options, it is the answer choice that polarize, not the question itself.

I am attempting to use strong language so that the question does polarize even if there is a continuum of answers. In other words, the distribution should have two high points in it, or the distribution should be skewed heavily to one side.

I don't was yes or no answers because that forces the polarity. I want the polarity on the questions to be real.

Yes, creating a sorter is complicated. If you just do a simple addition, you will have the central limit theorem pushing the distribution back to being Gaussian.

You may need to get a feel for how often the person picks middle of the road answers to weight a polarized response more for that person.

Also, I am actually thinking about making a sorting mechanism using some sort of learning algorithm to pick out questions that sort well and are correlated with each other...the number of dimensions will depend on how the polarizing questions correlate.

For example:

Yes. But in strong language, the person who actually answers that they hate day dreaming in a high percentage would be different from the norm, I think.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't was yes or no answers because that forces the polarity. I want the polarity on the questions to be real.
Okay, I see. You're searching for questions which do allow a middle ground but nevertheless would get an extreme distribution... :thinking:
I'm now thinking about questions that would at least get an extreme answer from me.

Do you hate yourself? No.
Do you believe there are good and/or evil forces in nature? No.
Do you believe in destiny? No.
Can you imagine a circumstance where you would kill another human? No. (In my imagination, I'll always find a way out. Probably it wouldn't work in reality - but I just *can not* imagine myself killing another person.)
Can you imagine a circumstance where you would kill yourself? No. (Same reason here.)
Can you imagine a circumstance where you would eat human flesh? Yes. (I'm hungry and there is a dead body.)

ygolo

My termites win
Thanks. Those seem like good polarizing questions...and easy to adapt so that a continuum of answers is allowed.