• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IQ and communication

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In some areas my IQ is in the genius range and in other areas my IQ is in the mediocre range so my diversely unique skillset can confuse people. My IQ is 114.

xisnotx

Permabanned
Well, I don't know. The thing with me is, I'm quiet regardless. It's not that I don't understand what people are going on about, but rather, I don't think I can add to the discussion in ways that are productive as a whole. So, I just keep quiet.

I'm alot more verbal one on one, group dynamics don't really sit well with me. And even then, only with individuals who do a lot of the talking. This is when I'll start talking a lot as well.

I'm guessing some think I'm unintelligent (or that I have a low IQ) because of that.

I'm very likely in the middle range. That is, around 100.

And it's particularly interesting to me. I'm African...our IQ is supposed to be just above mental retardation levels. Yet, until today, I tend to get along better with Africans. I guess that would make me almost a "retard", going off the 'like sticks with like' premise. But, I'm biracial...I've never had that inferiority complex that many (someone is going to hate me here) Africans (and not African Americans) have. It only occured to me that 'white people were smarter' when someone else pointed it out...I've never independantly arrived at that conclusion. I still get along with white people...or really, anyone. My point is, objectively speaking, I honestly can't tell which group is more 'intelligent'. If intelligence was as objective as some people think, surely I could draw a sort of general conclusion, even if it was just an intuition? But, I can't. That isn't to say that differences don't exist in the way cognition is formed, generally, they definitely do, but rather, neither way is more 'intelligent' in any situation.

At the end of the day, though, what does intelligence even matter? Kind of like K.Durant's saying "Hard work beats talent if talent fails to work hard"...."Action beats thought if thought doesn't lead to action".

Same idea. Intelligence means nothing unless acted upon. And even then, you judge the action, not the intelligence from which it sprung. And to think that only intelligence can spring valid action, well, that's pretty unintelligent...

Lark

With the passage of time I've come to think that emofional intelligence is much more important to communication, I think that generally affect rules cognition more than is commonly supposed.

Most recently I've been reading about intersubjective systems theory, its a psychoanalytic theory which supposes that affect regulation, ie moods or temperament, develops as part of a mutual process between child and carers. If a parent has blank or broken affect, so will their kid, it means that individuals can develop with an incomplete, some might say inadequate emotional reportraire. When that's the case communication of any sort is as difficult as, say, a french and german speaker tryinv to dialogue together.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haha.

Well I can admit without fear that the last time I was tested with a real IQ test I believe I scored around...78.

Affirmative anxiety I think of thing you fear too much what other people think of you. I think of doing it is useful to think of others categorization of yourself for the world as the type of social game. Usually the social game is played so someone can stroke your ego and masturbate to their own identity. You should really feel strong and smart and confident in yourself and be able to say to those people f*** off. It doesn't really matter what they think of you you're not going to interact with them anyways so why do their opinions matter? How does the their thoughts affect you your relationships or your life if they refuse to interact with you in the first place. I think once you allow yourself to feel this internal self confidence more you begin to unlock a lot of the natural talents that you obviously have. However the more you affirm your anxiety har har ;) the more time you always combating yourself rather then improving up on and utilizing your natural skills and talents to create a happier life for yourself. I wish you the best

Edit:

Perhaps I should stop trying to type my posts with google voice :( However I've grown too lazy to interact with this form in any other way lol

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, so RaptorWizard is the one bringing back all of these IQ threads? Huh, I can't say I'm surprised...

...Nah, I don't think I'll share my IQ. But, I don't really think IQ differences make it difficult to communicate with others (extremes can make an exception in this case, of course).

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Affirmative anxiety I think of thing you fear too much what other people think of you. I think of doing it is useful to think of others categorization of yourself for the world as the type of social game. Usually the social game is played so someone can stroke your ego and masturbate to their own identity. You should really feel strong and smart and confident in yourself and be able to say to those people f*** off. It doesn't really matter what they think of you you're not going to interact with them anyways so why do their opinions matter? How does the their thoughts affect you your relationships or your life if they refuse to interact with you in the first place. I think once you allow yourself to feel this internal self confidence more you begin to unlock a lot of the natural talents that you obviously have. However the more you affirm your anxiety har har ;) the more time you always combating yourself rather then improving up on and utilizing your natural skills and talents to create a happier life for yourself. I wish you the best

Edit:

Perhaps I should stop trying to type my posts with google voice :( However I've grown too lazy to interact with this form in any other way lol

This is true....so very true.

Ive known the solution to my problems for most of my life, unfortunately knowing the solution to a problem such as this does not always mean it is an easy one to enact. It is the same as the idea that the solution to a despot is to displace such an individual in some manner, but the execution is always much more complicated.

But yeah im working on it, it's hard but that doesn't mean I wont try.....or that I wont succeed :) Thankyou for the encouragement though. :D

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Stubborn seems to cause more issues then IQ with comunication. I know I have alot of communication problems when it comes to technical things. Most of the time its just easier for my to do it, and 75% of the time dont ask me to explain because I dont think in a linear fashion so what I create is usually like a spider web where you really need a whole understanding then a linear path. I usually score between 145-165 in IQ tests. I have no problems communicating with people that have really low IQs.

musicalshore

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Education level might contribute. Maturity too, but not IQ.
Let's say I am a very fast runner. What does that have to do with walking with my grandmother to the park? It's all context dependent. What does my IQ have to do with general communication? And shouldn't a bright person be able to aid someone else by understanding their lack of knowledge and gauging your statements accordingly? I think so. I did it all the time when I tutored language or music. I knew more, so it was my obligation to present the information in such a way that the person could assimilate it and learn. You do this by assessing what he/she knows about, and creating metaphors based on that (if possible).

A fast runner doesn't naturally run fast, he has to exert effort. A person with high IQ has to exert effort to communicate with someone of lower IQ.

musicalshore

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

Edit:

That's an astute observation, but google voice makes you seem like a foreigner

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A fast runner doesn't naturally run fast, he has to exert effort. A person with high IQ has to exert effort to communicate with someone of lower IQ.

though had he phrased it as a fast walker that would be a different matter... some people naturally walk a lot faster than other people do. I come from a family of very fast walkers, however, there's not a single one of us who cannot slow down to keep pace with a slow walker if necessary :)

adaptability is something that doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with IQ, but I would put it hand in hand with applicable intelligence. and an adaptable person can communicate with a variety of people, regardless of education, intelligence or upbringing :yes:

mintleaf

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp
I think that it has much more to do with priorities than cognitive ability. though if a person is determined to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people, they are going to develop much stronger cognitive skills in that area: the ability to convey complex ideas in less esoteric terms, for example. so communication skills can be developed in conjunction with certain skills that IQ tests do measure -- if you look at it from that perspective, there could be a correlation between communication skills and IQ. definitely depends on what you mean by communication, though. if it's just social communication / small talk, then that theory doesn't hold up as well.

sorry if this was off-topic or if I'm repeating something that someone else has said more clearly. I didn't feel like reading the entire thread and decided to blindly spout off my own opinions instead :sage: