• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Js with ADD? How would it affect the person?

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
I know someone with ADD who I believe is a J. He just has a short attention span, but he still likes things planned and organized.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
No patience! lol. And have a hard time completing monotinous projects after initial enthusiasm.

Not to be rude but, I went to church once recently after several years, and found it extremely boring. One person talking on and on about their opinion on life. :blink: I have enough sitting in class in school.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
No patience! lol. And have a hard time completing monotinous projects after initial enthusiasm.

Not to be rude but, I went to church once recently after several years, and found it extremely boring. One person talking on and on about their opinion on life. :blink: I have enough sitting in class in school.

I know what you mean. Church=boring.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
There was a thread on ADD and mbti last month started by compulsiverambler. You can find it here .

There was a link to a book about ADD as well that had a chapter on how it manifests in different personality types. Might be interesting reading for ya.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
There was a thread on ADD and mbti last month started by compulsiverambler. You can find it here .

There was a link to a book about ADD as well that had a chapter on how it manifests in different personality types. Might be interesting reading for ya.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
You have handbells? English handbells are so pretty. :D Or playing organ, I always wanted to learn how to coordinate the feet and hands at the same time.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I'm in a community chorus where we are playing handbells. They are very pretty!
At church, last week, I got to play the drum.
I too, would love to learn how to play the organ, but I could see myself getting all tied up in knots at having to coordinate hands and feet...

You have handbells? English handbells are so pretty. :D Or playing organ, I always wanted to learn how to coordinate the feet and hands at the same time.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm in a community chorus where we are playing handbells. They are very pretty!
At church, last week, I got to play the drum.
I too, would love to learn how to play the organ, but I could see myself getting all tied up in knots at having to coordinate hands and feet...

Ooh drums. Love them. I should join the chorus.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I'm in the same boat as nynesneg. Too much videogames has given me the ADD'z.

Who says church music = choir, bells, and organ? My church here in Finland has an accordionist, and I play electric guitar at my church in the States. :)

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm in the same boat as nynesneg. Too much videogames has given me the ADD'z.

Who says church music = choir, bells, and organ? My church here in Finland has an accordionist, and I play electric guitar at my church in the States. :)

Yeah, we were just naming random stuff. Never said that was all of 'em!

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
it doesn't really matter 'cause there's no such thing as ADD.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it doesn't really matter 'cause there's no such thing as ADD.
If that were the case there'd be no biological correlations with the people diagnosed with it. Even more biological associations have been found with ADHD sufferers than with friggin schizophrenia, and I don't see anyone denying the existence of that. Associations with brain size and structure, early head injury or poisonings, neurochemical factors, perinatal complications including even sub-clinical prematurity (being born just several weeks early), not being breast-fed, early medical histories (e.g. among phenylketonuria survivers, children with rare thyroid conditions and children given certain treatments for leukaemia at a young age, the majority develop ADHD - do ADHD-deniers really suppose even correlations this strong represent coincidences? :rolleyes:) Have they never known anyone with a concussion and noticed that the temporary effects of post-concussive syndrome are also among the symptoms of ADHD? This doesn't lead them to conclude that such symptoms can have a biological cause?

There are people and organisations with financial and ideological agendae creating the ADHD conspiracy myth. They're helped by all the individuals spreading the misinformation without, apparently, doing quite basic research about the matter, and in doing so potentially discouraging people from getting their children help for something that can lead even as far as homelessness and suicide by adulthood. That's what's at stake here. We have the best ever opportunity and means right now to break the cycle of misery and wasted potential for millions of people, and the sooner the word gets out about that, the better.

Last edited:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
you've forgotten the most important rule in psychology [and all of logic] - correlation is not the same as causation.
actually that has nothing to do with my point, but i love saying it.

it all becomes clear when one reevaluates their idea of what a disorder is.

after all, for whom is order being disrupted? the "victim" or his employers and teachers/classmates?

by the way, i only read the first sentence of your post so excuse me for flying off the handle and writing way more than was necessary.
unless what i said was actually relevant, in which case i don't apologize.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

after all, for whom is order being disrupted? the "victim" or his employers and teachers/classmates?

by the way, i only read the first sentence of your post so excuse me for flying off the handle and writing way more than was necessary.
unless what i said was actually relevant, in which case i don't apologize.

If you'd read it you might have noticed that homelessness, suicide, wasted potential and misery were listed as consequences that people with AD(H)D can experience. It sure sounds to me like "order is being disrupted" for them as a result of their conditions.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand the concern of pathologizing and medicating perfectly normal kids (and adults). People do vary naturally in temperament, we live in an unnatural world, and some personality types don't have an easy time with sitting still in a classroom or doing repetitive work for hours. And if the label of ADD is being applied to these people, then that is inappropriate.

Just because the ADD label can be inappropriately used though, doesn't mean ADD isn't real. The problem with mental disorders is that there are currently no objective tests for them, so people with neurological abnormalities can get lumped together with people who represent normal personality variations, or people who are reacting naturally to a certain situation. There are often very different things going on with people who are lumped together under the same diagnosis. Hopefully in the future there will be some biological markers for the ones that are biological in origin.

I've heard enough stories though (mostly by lurking at message boards), to convince me that this is a very real problem that goes far beyond the "lazy schoolchild" stereotype and deserves to be taken seriously.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
My friend was 'diagnosed' with ADD because he wouldn't focus at school. It wasn't because he had a disorder, it was because the class was boring for him so he distracted himself mentally. As his closest friend I knew he could focus really well and for a long time if he was interested. The diagnosis ruined his ability to get good classes that WOULD interest him because he was a 'special needs' child. It irritates me just thinking about it.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
you've forgotten the most important rule in psychology [and all of logic] - correlation is not the same as causation.
actually that has nothing to do with my point, but i love saying it.
Causation is established later, with further research, and in some cases here it has been. For example, if ADHD is associated with having a smaller than average corpus callosum, and prenatal alcohol exposure decreases the size of the corpus callosum (destroying it altogether in extreme cases) and is associated with a higher rate of ADHD, we have enough data to begin ruling out certain causal relationships and building a case for others. And that's just scratching the surface of that particular issue, as the more findings you factor in, the more complicated the relationship is revealed to be, with both alcoholism predisposition and ADHD being passed on sometimes through heredity and sometimes through prenatal alcohol exposure, often through both. ADHD and alcohol

See blankpages' post.