• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

At what age did you learn how to play chess ?

• Total voters

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am curious about something.

The reason why I am curious about this is because in my case it was in a very early childhood. At the age of 4 and a half to be exact.
So I am wondering if this can be used as indicator for childs "talents" later in life.

The poll is public because that will provide alot of info and the question itself is not too controversial.
All votes are welcome.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I never learnt. I hate chess, it's so boring.

wolfy

awsm
I think I was eleven. I went through a stage where I really liked chess and even thought about joining the chess club on my lunch break.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I learnt most card games, chess and lots of board games from 4.

AO how are you comparing this to talents gained in later life?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
11. My mom had an INTP boyfriend at the time who taught me, it was great fun.

Nyx

My grandfather taught me how to play at a pretty young age. I guessed seven. I just remember that I beat everyone I played in elementary school.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
AO how are you comparing this to talents gained in later life?

Well I created this thread exactly because I am not sure about this.

For example I have learned it early and no one was there to "force me" to learn it. So at the ago of 7 I was already into computer strategy games.

Basicly throughout my entire life this approach is something that makes me different from most people around me.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I had a 6th grade science teacher who thought it was necessary that all children learn to play chess. I think I was about 11 or 12.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I will say it served me well when I was about 12, I discovered a friend of mine could play so we went to chess 'club' so we could get free tea and biscuits while the rest of the year played pogs in the freezing cold.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Was never taught and never had a chess board in the house. I don't expect I'd be any good or enjoy it much, because it's a strategy game, so involves planning out multiple steps and options ahead, which requires much working memory. :tongue10: Although ADHDers are more prone to video game addictions than most (for the flood of calming dopamine and hyperfocus that they can induce), you never catch us playing strategy video games, for this very reason. I know the mental strain and discomfort and frustration that kind of task causes me, and it wouldn't be worth it. As aesthetically pleasing as a game of chess appears.

P

Phantonym

I taught myself when I was 15. Nobody plays chess in my family, only checkers. But we've always had a chess set in the house.

I've never played against people in person, only online. Chess is fascinating but I'm too impatient to think the moves through, so I rush and make horrible decisions. :blush: Well, at least I can always beat the monkey in Chessmaster. :D

LucrativeSid

10, but between the ages of 10 and 20, I probably only played a dozen games. It wasn't until my early 20s that I actually started playing again, mainly because it's easy to find people to play online.

proximo

My brother taught me when I was six years old. But, although I learned the rules and the basic ideas, I was always too impatient to sit still for hours, playing careful and involved strategies. I start off well, but soon become bored and start just making random moves, not really trying at all and just wanting the game over with. Seems too much to me like those brainteaser things, crosswords and the like. Never had the patience for them, they seem pointlessly frustrating, to me, with no reward that appeals to me, for actually completing them.

I used to play it a lot in my early teens and won a couple of tournaments, when I was very insecure and needed to show the world I was good at *something*, since I was crap at making friends or fitting in. But once I grew up and accepted myself, that motivation disappeared and I was left wondering what the hell was the point in playing chess!

I mean, if I win - so what? What does that mean? That I'm clever enough to win a game of chess? Well, I know that, and I'm indifferent as to whether anyone else knows it. So what have I got from the experience? Why bother?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I'm sure from pretty young. I chose 5, though I'd probably tried to play before then. I wanted to try to learn everything when I was young. I know I was obsessive about it at one stage in primary school maybe when I was 9 or 10.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe capability to understand and play chess can be an indicator for young children, it shows faster development in terms of logic and abstraction (thinking ahead for various combinations of moves and plotting strategy)... but the absence of learning it doesn't really mean much, since there's many reasons people might not have learned aside from not having the capability to.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A friend taught me the basics and "played" a few games against me when I was around 20 years old. I would play it again.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My unc tried to teach me chess when I was 2-3 years old. (He's like some expert champion or something and wanted me to be too.) I kinda got it. The horsie makes an "L". The rook moves straight. Whatever. I've been traumatized ever since.