• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and anxiety disorders

Bethy

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, and I am not saying every INFJ is like that, just that INFJs are very prone to it. You are an unusual INFJ in that respect.

My cousin, a psychologist, is also an INFJ. I have known her all my life, I can say with certainty that she is not neurotic.

Neither is my friend, the Episcopal priest (INFJ) or my other friend the human rights lawyer at the United Nation (ditto).

We can't all be "unusual in that respect."

I don't want to continue this exchange, but just know that I found your generalizations about INFJs to be hurtful and offensive.

That is all. I'll stop now.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
I'm sorry to see this discussion end this way. My gut tells me this is just a difference of terminology. Neurotic is such a blanket term that it can be used for just about any anxiety or phobia. I tend to think of it as a state of uncertainty and constant questioning, and in that sense, some INFJs are just prone to be neurotic.

And Bethy, I appreciate your insight but when you use your own inductive reasoning to make your case and then accuse others of using unfounded generalizations; it is nothing more that a pot calling a kettle black.

Bethy

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm sorry if I came across that way, but negative blanket statements about a type, any type, annoy me, just as negative blanket statements about an ethnicity would.

They're counterproductive, and they only give fuel to critics of MBTI and the like who are fond of claiming that it's just a system of "pigeonholing" that serves to flatten human diversity.

I really am stepping away now.

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
Sigh...this is exactly what happens when people get emotionally invested in the MBTI. It's always best to remember it's only theory. All we are doing is making speculations in an attempt to explain patterns we may notice within the products of that theory.

The original question of this thread was whether or not there is a connection between anxiety and personality type. From what I have observed and read, I think different types are prone to different types of anxiety. I also think different types would probably express their anxiety in different ways. I've noticed some extroverted types can become rather manipulative and will even try to twist facts in their favor when they become frustrated in a situation. Introverts will tend to withdraw or avoid the situation, or even attempt to ignore it even though it continues to cause them distress. Also, I think more extroverted types will tend to openly express anxiety, whereas introverted types will usually hide or suppress their anxiety.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess I don't personally view myself or my friends I was speaking of as 'neurotic'. I see us as all as functional, very emotionally aware, rather complicated, nuanced people. However, we are prone to some of the things that were called out earlier in this thread.

Does this mean ALL INFJ's experience this?? No. There just might be more of a correlation, that's all. Or, maybe not.

However, other types might view my tendencies, and thoughts, as 'neurotic', simply because they don't experience them themselves, and can't relate to it.

For what it's worth, I think *everyone* out there is neurotic in one way or another -- just in different ways. I guess I take the word with a grain of salt, because if someone points out all of my 'neurotic' tendencies, I'd easily be able to point out their disfunctional tendencies. Theirs would simply be different from mine.

So EVERYONE has things they're trying to work on, or 'issues' -- that's what I'm trying to say. I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone, and I don't think that was the intent of this thread.

This is why I brought up my mom as an example. She doesn't seem to have any of the trains of thought that I have, but one could argue she's much less functional in the world than I, because she's SO worried about nearly everything - things that I wouldn't be worried about. So I think the point is more that we all have our own issues/battles that we're fighting.

My friends and I are all in all quite happy with our lives, and 'successful'. But we also acknowledge that we are prone to depression at times -- just 'sad thoughts'. We don't sit there, but we're more prone to them, for sure, than my friends' husband, who is an ExTP. He can't relate whatsoever to my friend getting down every so often.

It's just something I've come to learn about myself - yes, I get 'down' every now and then. Yes, I am prone to anxiety about myself. But I have learned enough that so far I don't sit in that place indefinitely.

I also personally don't view every personality quirk as having something to do with mbti. I think there's a lot going on, that's outside of mbti.

But there also could be correlations, and I think the initial 'point'/question of the thread was to just explore those possible correlations.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hm, I certainly think INFJs are very prone to anxiety disorders. In my opinion it is because so many INFJs can't control their Ni. INTJs on the other hand filter it through Te, which controls the realism in the outputs of Ni.

It is actually quite interesting to notice just how big the differences are between INTJs and INFJs when it comes to emotional stability. This is not directly measured by MBTI, but INTJs are known for their confidence, and I would guess most in here would say it is one of the most emotionally stable types. The INFJ type on the other hand, is possibly the most neurotic of all the types. I might be biased though, as I live with a highly neurotic INFJ mom.
This can be true until the INTJ is pushed past their boundary of personal control. When the systems they create break down, or when confronted with abuse and unsolvable problems during their development, their tertiary Fi can be a very dark place indeed. I have known INTJ is this type of trauma to experience panic attacks and intense insomnia.

I do agree that on a day-to-day basis, status quo, they tend to be stable and consistent in their behavior. But trauma of various sorts can bring out a strong schism between their Ni-Te and their Fi-Se. Sometimes the INFJ can be surprisingly put together during sudden trauma...

typelogic.com said:
...INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. They often are found in the wake of an emergency, rescuing those who are in acute distress...

As an INFJ I also struggle daily with anxiety and depression. I am also tough in a way that many people are not. I describe myself as a weeble-wobble. It is pretty easy to throw me off balance, but nearly impossible to knock me over. My emotional tolerance is way beyond most of the NTs I know. This is because I deal with confronting fears on a daily basis. Don't underestimate just how much strength a person can develop from that much practice.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This can be true until the INTJ is pushed past their boundary of personal control. When the systems they create break down, or when confronted with abuse and unsolvable problems during their development, their tertiary Fi can be a very dark place indeed. I have known INTJ is this type of trauma to experience panic attacks and intense insomnia.

I do agree that on a day-to-day basis, status quo, they tend to be stable and consistent in their behavior. But trauma of various sorts can bring out a strong schism between their Ni-Te and their Fi-Se. Sometimes the INFJ can be surprisingly put together during sudden trauma...

This is probably the most balanced comment I've seen in the INTJ/INFJ comparison here.

Also, if I had to say it, INTJs are much more prone to piss off others than INFJs are. Fe really is a help, not a hindrance; the INFJs I've know IRL (all females :) ) have been among the most mature people I've known. Very stable on the surface, put together, self-controlled, seemingly sure of themselves, personable and likable even if a little hard to decipher sometimes in terms of their underlying thoughts on something. (That Fe veneer seems to leave their "inner" self in some amount of mystery.)

But at the same time, when alone, INFJ could become quirky or absorbed in inner doubts and self-deprecation and the whole works... even neurotic.

I'm glad most of this thread was INFJs just critiquing themselves, since that probably helped ease most of the tension that can arise in discussions like this.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
ESxx I'd have thought were the worst with ESTx being the worst of them all. Repressed emotions, repressed capacity to look at oneself honestly. It's all got to lead to little neurotic traits.

I'd have thought that N would eliminate more than it creates as it gives context to these things making them easier to deal with as they are no longer in isolation and I'd suspect that an introvert would be more able to deal with themselves and hence deal with any neurotic elements.

I could be wrong though.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I hate being the "focus" of a big group...

I think I may have one. I get panic attacks and hate being in front of people or being force to talk to someone I don't know, about something I don't want to. The whole idea of drawing attention to me and the whole room looking at me terrifies me. I'm not sure.

I have had this problem all of my life. :horor: My boss, however, forced me to do get out of my "comfort zone" and after 3-years, I can now stand in front of people without feeling faint. It took me a long time, though. I do, at least, want a day's notice, so that I can prepare myself mentally.

Thankfully, I have never had a panic attack. I also can talk to someone I don't know, but I rarely am the instigator of the discussion.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have had this problem all of my life. :horor: My boss, however, forced me to do get out of my "comfort zone" and after 3-years, I can now stand in front of people without feeling faint. It took me a long time, though. I do, at least, want a day's notice, so that I can prepare myself mentally.

Thankfully, I have never had a panic attack. I also can talk to someone I don't know, but I rarely am the instigator of the discussion.

You know how some people make you nervous? One of my teachers does I don't know why but I blush whenever I speak up in the class, all my other classes I'm fine in. One of the major grades is to give a presentation I'm thinking of withdrawing. I have no clue how I'm going to talk in front of the class, especially since i can't talk in the class.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I don't want to continue this exchange, but just know that I found your generalizations about INFJs to be hurtful and offensive.

That is all. I'll stop now.

Wow, maybe my INTJ Husband has rubbed off (Toonia behave ;)) on me because I did not take offense to Splittets comments on INFJ's.

I am curious as to why you were offended by his/her (gender not specified) comments on INFJ's?

Splittets if you don't mind my asking, how do you get along with your INFJ Mother? Are you close?

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
INFJ, INTJ, ISFJ, INFP, and INTP are my top picks, in order. It's probably a result of being rare and therefore ending up with a greater share of poor treatment, less understanding from others, greater difficulty interacting with the Sensor majority, etc. ISFJs are included because they seem to be the least-understood Sensor and most similar to the INXXs in many social respects. They're the most likely types to be social outcasts for various reasons and many of the above are commonly victims of abuse and exploitation.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
please don't make me do it...

You know how some people make you nervous? One of my teachers does I don't know why but I blush whenever I speak up in the class, all my other classes I'm fine in. One of the major grades is to give a presentation I'm thinking of withdrawing. I have no clue how I'm going to talk in front of the class, especially since i can't talk in the class.
The weird thing is that I can speak normally in a classroom-style setting or in a meeting (even a big meeting). I can even lead... I just do NOT want to get up to be the focus (only one standing up) unless I absolutely ABSOLUTELY have to (or unless I am forced to). Weird, aren't I? :doh:

I am an endless source of entertainment to my friends who think this quirky stage fright of mine is really funny! :shock: I assure you... this isn't funny at all! :steam:

Oh, and there are people that make me nervous. You know, those good-looking male teachers... they make me blush (mostly because they are so flirty!) ;)

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, add me to the INFJs with anxiety. I do think our type may be prone to it, given our Ni-Fe pair. I find mine seems to be generated by my Ni and then carried out by my Fe. It tends to center around social norms & people - anxious if I'm running late, anxious if I don't have set plans, anxious if someone is angry with me, anxious if other people cannot follow through with plans, anxious if I cannot motivate someone else... etc.

I'm not sure if it would be considered a disorder, but I am definitely prone to it. Uncertainty gives me a lot of anxiety & I have trouble functioning in a not anxious way when things are up in the air & undefined. I'm sure I'm a joy in relationships. Stagnant situations always get me extremely anxious & then I start acting on behalf of my anxiety - which is never good.

I rarely get full blown panic attacks like my ESTP mother & INFP brother, though. My anxiety tends to be more of a day to day thing.

Oddly enough, I tend to be really good in a crisis. It's like the things that SHOULD make me anxious don't, but the things that most people take in stride have my stomach in knots.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Splittets if you don't mind my asking, how do you get along with your INFJ Mother? Are you close?

Well, the thing with my mother is that she always second-guesses herself, and she asks me a lot for reassurance. Because she constantly does this, it is driving me insane. It’s hard for me to deal with her irrationality, and also the fact that you always need to reassure her more than once. But some times it is interesting to discuss stuff with her, but it’s hard to quit a conversation with her. You often get stuck for an hour, so that’s something I always fear. I don’t feel very close to her.

When she is out with people she always smiles, when she is home she is often sad though. She works like crazy, and is often tired. She has so high standards … Is the INFJ type the most perfectionist of all?

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I have anxiety issues in relationships--maybe because of a wild Ni, I don't know. It can get kind of unhealthy if I don't step back and do some self-talk. I feel like a lot of my relationship issues come from childhood abuse and the fear associated with having a sick parent. In any case--it's something I do feel like I have to spend particular effort self-managing and self-soothing lest I become an idiot.

I also get "good anxiety" about work--the kind where I worry a quite bit about something and it motivates me to have all my bases covered.

Heh--and the whole "getting up in front of people" anxiety? Not a problem for me at all. I can get up in front of people all day long (and do) without missing a beat.

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
I imagine INFJs either turn out unusually anxious or unusually stable. Ni has the potential to cause a lot of anticipatory stress, if it is trying to prepare for the future against a backdrop of immediate, more important distractions, or doesn't have enough to go on, or is confused. However, Ni also has the potential to create highly effective coping mechanisms, when it focuses on them.

I have found Ni very good at spotting irrational thinking processes, figuring out how they came about, and knowing how to reverse the whole system responsible, in ways that aren't related on the surface. Nothing beats Ni for deliberate self-deception, which can be highly beneficial when used properly. I believe it is also Ni that asks 'so what? What does that necessarily mean? What is it really?' to everyday facts, occurrences, assumptions and perceptions. At least, that's what I spend a lot of free thought-time doing, and according to the cognitive functions test Ni is my dominant. It can take years for it to do this in a way that is truly useful to the individual, however, especially if they are avoiding thinking about their problems rather than tackling them.

For example, I completely cured a severe phobia without the help of any kind of therapist when I eventually got round to voluntarily thinking about it. It was a pretty abstract and novel kind of phobia which traditional methods couldn't cater for and don't even recognise as ultimately being a phobia with phobic mechanisms, so I had no choice but to develop my own treatment plan. Things like that make me very grateful to be NFJ, personally. :) The potential drawbacks can be worked to your favour.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For example, I completely cured a severe phobia without the help of any kind of therapist when I eventually got round to voluntarily thinking about it. It was a pretty abstract and novel kind of phobia which traditional methods couldn't cater for and don't even recognise as ultimately being a phobia with phobic mechanisms, so I had no choice but to develop my own treatment plan. Things like that make me very grateful to be NFJ, personally. :) The potential drawbacks can be worked to your favour.

I've done similar things with myself; although in my case, not exactly phobias, but rather just overall trains/patterns of thoughts, and I've dug deep enough to get to the root issues, tweak them and then..voila...no longer having the issues anymore. ;-) [Not that this is easy by any means, but yeah...I think I know what you're talking about]

Wait, now that I think about it, I do have a phobia of sorts that I've gotten a handle on. It could have really become extreme, but I nipped it in the bud before it could get to that point.

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Well, the thing with my mother is that she always second-guesses herself, and she asks me a lot for reassurance. Because she constantly does this, it is driving me insane. It’s hard for me to deal with her irrationality, and also the fact that you always need to reassure her more than once. But some times it is interesting to discuss stuff with her, but it’s hard to quit a conversation with her. You often get stuck for an hour, so that’s something I always fear. I don’t feel very close to her.
I'm sorry to hear that. Two more questions if you don't mind. :) Are your parents still married? Are you male or female? I am interested because I am an INFJ with three children (2 girls and 1 boy) and I have fairly high standards. I am aware of myself and try very hard not to be such a perfectionist as I don't want my children to resent me the way I resent my mother.
My Husband is an INTJ and we are very close. He has always understood me and I now have a much better understanding of him thanks to MBTI.
When she is out with people she always smiles, when she is home she is often sad though. She works like crazy, and is often tired. She has so high standards … Is the INFJ type the most perfectionist of all?
That's too bad. :sad: It sounds like you do love her, you just can't understand her.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
spiders are my friends...

I use to be deathly afraid of spiders... but I forced myself into be around them (exposure therapy) without the help of any therapist... and I didn't die!

Anyway, I am not scared of spiders anymore. :woot: