• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type and anxiety disorders

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I could see how different typings might have different triggers for anxiety...

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have social anxiety disorder. I've found that the best way to treat it is to expose myself again and again to social situations. Experience breeds familiarity, and familiarity reduces fear.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I’m (probably????) an ENFP & type 6 w/ anxiety. it’s really not a HUGE part of my personality, it almost entirely depends on environmental factors, even though it kind of takes overnight what I actually want to do/say/be sometimes. but, it can either be kind of in the background but still hella present or like right in front of me

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ENFP also having an anxiety disorder! For a while it was so bad I perceived myself as an introvert rather than an extrovert. I find that changing my environment and keeping myself moving can sometimes reduce my symptoms, although I'm generally very pensive and jumpy due to the amount of nervous energy I carry

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Since asked, I am doing one for every function.

Se: Anxiety would probably begin to exhibit if they were in a situation they couldn't get their way out of. It also make exist in inertia, or lack of motivation moments. They may feel they need to be "doing" or experiencing something.

Ne: Anxiety can arise from seeing TOO many possibilities to things, making it hard to be definitive. It could also exist in a worst case scenario. Man, my Ne can come up with just about every single thing that can go wrong!

Te: Honestly the first thing I imagined for Te is not being in control of their own life. When the things they cannot control overtake them, they can become anxious and overwhelmed.

Fe: Conflict.

Fi: Also conflict. And judgment.

Ni: I think for Ni anxiety may come from not being able to complete the puzzle, or being rushed to know the answers when they need more time to put themselves together...

Si: In the moment pressure. Si is a function that takes the past to the present. An unfamiliar situation may cause anxiety, as well as being pressured to do something before they've had time to calculate it.

Ti: Perhaps feeling like they cannot find the actual truth to something? Ti makes me think of fearing the unknown. A Ti type may struggle and feel anxious about things they cannot readily comprehend.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1: Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Generalized anxiety disorder, or GAD, is the most common and widespread type of anxiety. GAD affect tens of millions of people throughout the world.GAD is best described as an ongoing state of mental and/or physical tension and nervousness, either without a specific cause or without the ability to take a break from the anxiety. In other words, if you feel yourself constantly on edge, worried, anxious, or stressed (either physically or mentally) and it's disrupting your life, you may have generalized anxiety disorder.

Remember, some anxiety is a natural part of life, and some degree of anxiety is normal to feel occasionally. But when that anxiety appears to occur for no reason or for reasons that shouldn't be causing that degree of anxiousness, you may have generalized anxiety disorder. The following are the most common problems associated with GAD: Constant restlessness, irritation, edginess, or a feeling of being without control.

Fatigue, lethargy, or generally low energy levels (feeling drained).Tense muscles, especially on the back, neck, and shoulders. Trouble concentrating or focusing on tasks or activities.Obsessing over negative and anxiety causing thoughts – "Disaster Thinking. "The key is _persistent mental or physical anxiety_. If it doesn't appear to go away, it may be GAD. Did you know you can suffer from more than one anxiety disorder? Generalized anxiety disorder appears to be very common in those with other anxiety disorders, especially panic disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder.

2: Social Phobia: Many people suffer from what's known as "social phobia," or an irrational fear of social situations. Some degree of social phobia is normal. Small degrees of shyness in public places, or discomfort while public speaking, are natural in most people, and do not imply an anxiety problem.But when that fear disrupts your life, _you may be suffering from social phobia_. Social phobia is when the shyness is intense and the idea of socializing or speaking with the public, strangers, authority figures, or possibly even your friends causes you noticeable anxiety and fear.

People with social phobia view public situations as being potentially painful and distressing, living with a constant fear of being judged, observed, remarked upon, or avoided. Those with social phobia also often have an irrational fear of doing something stupid or embarrassing. What makes this more than just shyness is when those fears cause you to avoid healthy socializing situations altogether. Those with social phobia often live with two or more of the following issues: Feeling hopeless or fearful within unfamiliar people or in unfamiliar situations.

Obsession over being watched, observed, or judged by strangers.Experiencing overwhelming anxiety in any social situation with difficulty coping. Severe fear of public speaking – beyond what one would consider "normal" Anxiousness about the idea of social situations, even when not in one. Intense issues meeting new people or voicing up when you need to speak. Many people with social phobia display avoidance behaviors. They avoid any and all social situations as best they can so as to avoid further fear.

3: Panic Disorder: Panic disorder is a debilitating anxiety disorder that is very different from GAD. Panic disorder is not about "panicking." It's not about getting very worried because you might lose your job or a lion is about to attack you in the jungle. That type of panic is normal. Panic disorder is when you experience severe feelings of doom that cause both mental and physical symptoms that can be so intense that some people become hospitalized, worried that something is dangerously wrong with their health.

Panic disorder is characterized by two things: Panic attacks. Fear of getting panic attacks. Panic attacks are intense physical and mental sensations that can triggered by stress, anxiety, or by nothing at all. They often involve mental distress, but are most well-known by their physical symptoms, including: Rapid heartbeat (heart palpitations or irregular/fast paced heart rhythms). Excessive sweating or hot/cold flashes.Tingling sensations, numbness, or weakness in the body. Depersonalize (feeling like you're outside yourself).

Trouble breathing or feeling as though you've had a deep breath. Lightheaded or dizziness. Chest pain or stomach pain. Digestive problems and/or discomfort.Panic attacks may have some or all of the above physical symptoms, and may also involve unusual symptoms as well, like headaches, ear pressure, and more. All of these symptoms feel very real, which is why those that experience panic attacks often seek medical attention for their health.

Panic attacks are also known for their mental "symptoms" which peak about 10 minutes into a panic attack. These include:Feeling of doom, or the feeling as though you're about to die. Severe anxiety, especially health anxiety. Feeling of helplessness, or feeling like you're no longer yourself. Contrary to popular belief, it's possible for the physical symptoms of panic attacks to come both before or after anxiety,
meaning that you can experience physical symptoms first before experiencing the fear of death.

That is why many people feel as though something is very wrong with their health. Panic attacks can be triggered by an over-sensitivity to body sensations, by stress, or by nothing at all. Panic disorder can be very hard to control without help. Seeking assistance right away for your panic attacks is an important tool for stopping them, so that you can learn the techniques necessary to cure this panic. You can also have panic disorder without experiencing many panic attacks. If you live in constant fear of a panic attack, you may also qualify for a panic disorder diagnosis. In those cases, your anxiety may resemble generalized anxiety disorder, but the fear in this case is known.

4: Agoraphobia: Agoraphobia is the fear of going out in public, either the fear of open spaces or the fear of being in unfamiliar places. Many people with agoraphobia either never leave their home, or do anything they can to avoid travelling anywhere other than their home and office. Some people can go to the grocery store or other familiar places, but otherwise experience intense, nearly debilitating fear anywhere else.

Many people (although not all) that have agoraphobia _also have panic disorder_. That's because for many, agoraphobia is often caused by panic attacks. People experience panic attacks in public places, so they start to avoid more and more places in order to avoid panic attacks until they are afraid to go outside. Some people experience agoraphobia after traumatic events as well. Agoraphobia is more common for adults. Many also fear losing control (both psychologically and physically), causing them to avoid social situations.

Not everyone living with agoraphobia spends all their time in their home. In fact, some of the more common symptoms include: Obsessive fear of socializing with groups of people, regardless of whether or not you know them. Severe stress or anxiety whenever you're in an environment other than your home, or an environment where you're not in control. Feelings of tension and stress even during regular activities, such as going to the store, talking with strangers, or even just stepping outdoors.

Preoccupation with how to protect yourself or find safety in the event that some type of trouble occurs, even with little reason to believe trouble will occur. Finding that your own fears are keeping you prisoner, preventing you from going out and living life because of that fear. Many people experience moments where they feel vulnerable outdoors and prefer to stay safe in their homes. But when the fear seems to persist for a long period of time, or is holding you back from living an enjoyable life, you may have agoraphobia.

5. P.T.S.D. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I have always been a stable, no, unflappable and confident person. It's something I've always taken great pride in yet over the past few years I'm fairly certain that I have developed some serious anxieties.
I hate to admit it. I hate that other people can have any effect on my own state of mind at all but I can't deny it. However I am well aware of it's source. It is not irrational at all but a very reasonable -and in fact, predictable result of life experience.

The worst thing about it is that I can not shake it. No matter how strong, stoic and independent I have build myself up to be my walls have cracked and it is impossible to rebuild what is constantly under siege.

Since asked, I am doing one for every function.

Se: Anxiety would probably begin to exhibit if they were in a situation they couldn't get their way out of. It also make exist in inertia, or lack of motivation moments. They may feel they need to be "doing" or experiencing something.

Ne: Anxiety can arise from seeing TOO many possibilities to things, making it hard to be definitive. It could also exist in a worst case scenario. Man, my Ne can come up with just about every single thing that can go wrong!

Te: Honestly the first thing I imagined for Te is not being in control of their own life. When the things they cannot control overtake them, they can become anxious and overwhelmed.

Fe: Conflict.

Fi: Also conflict. And judgment.

Ni: I think for Ni anxiety may come from not being able to complete the puzzle, or being rushed to know the answers when they need more time to put themselves together...

Si: In the moment pressure. Si is a function that takes the past to the present. An unfamiliar situation may cause anxiety, as well as being pressured to do something before they've had time to calculate it.

Ti: Perhaps feeling like they cannot find the actual truth to something? Ti makes me think of fearing the unknown. A Ti type may struggle and feel anxious about things they cannot readily comprehend.

Nailed it.