• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI <> Enneagram

Ms. M

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm an INTJ, and I test equally for 9w1 and 5w6. I feel much more like 5 than a 9, but if you look Here, I fit in somewhere between Level 3 and 4. (This is talking about degrees of 9ness, Level 1 is best, Level 9 is worst)

I am very non-confrontational, I can if I have to, but if I don't I would much rather not. I think I test as a 9 (aka 'Peacemaker') because I want to have peace around me, not because I care about people.

I find your results interesting, because I just got around to taking the Enneagram test, and I tested at 1w9 (8/5) and 5w6 (7/4). The problem is, both the 1 and 5 (ETA - at level 3 for each) sound just like me.....hmmmm...... :blush:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ermm.. actually, Type 9 INTPs are a common occurrance.
Not as common as type 5, mind you, but still common.

Now, the fact that I'm a type 1 INTP, with a 2 wing no less, is rather strange.

warick

MBTI Type
INTJ
I find your results interesting, because I just got around to taking the Enneagram test, and I tested at 1w9 (8/5) and 5w6 (7/4). The problem is, both the 1 and 5 (ETA - at level 3 for each) sound just like me.....hmmmm...... :blush:

Wings:
For 5:

The Intense, Cerebral Type: Perceptive, Innovative, Secretive, and Isolated
Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
Basic Desire: To be capable and competent
Those are all pretty good description of INTJ's too. Not all inclusive of INTJ's, or exclusive of other MBTI types, but pretty close.

For 4:

The Sensitive, Introspective type:
Expressive, Dramatic, Self-Absorbed, and Temperamental

Basic Fear: That they have no identity or personal significance
Basic Desire: To find themselves and their significance (to create an
identity)

For 6:

The Committed, Security-Oriented Type:
Engaging, Responsible, Anxious, and Suspicious

Basic Fear: Of being without support and guidance
Basic Desire: To have security and support

Those were the descriptions of the styles themselves, not really how they relate as wings. But neither is a very good description of an INTJ. If anyone disagrees, please correct me. I know I'm no expert, I'm just reading what's in front of me. What's interesting is that for you as a 1 your direction of growth is toward 7, but for you as a 5, 7 is your direction of stress.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Ermm.. actually, Type 9 INTPs are a common occurrance.
Not as common as type 5, mind you, but still common.

Now, the fact that I'm a type 1 INTP, with a 2 wing no less, is rather strange.
Really?? I've only known one other and he no longer posts (as far as I know anyway cause I rarely go to INTPc anymore).

Now an INTP 1 IS interesting. *pokes Magic Poriferan* Post more. Interested now :hug:

Ms. M

MBTI Type
INTJ
Wings:

Those are all pretty good description of INTJ's too. Not all inclusive of INTJ's, or exclusive of other MBTI types, but pretty close.

Those were the descriptions of the styles themselves, not really how they relate as wings. But neither is a very good description of an INTJ. If anyone disagrees, please correct me. I know I'm no expert, I'm just reading what's in front of me. What's interesting is that for you as a 1 your direction of growth is toward 7, but for you as a 5, 7 is your direction of stress.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Enneagram process. The questions seemed a bit out there to me. With the MBTI, the answers came to me easily, with the Enneagram it seemed like the questions were more "apples and oranges" variety. I'm a "depending on the situation" kind of girl.

DaRick

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Enneagram process. The questions seemed a bit out there to me. With the MBTI, the answers came to me easily, with the Enneagram it seemed like the questions were more "apples and oranges" variety. I'm a "depending on the situation" kind of girl.

It really depends on which Enneagram test you take. I have taken one which has allowed me to take the middle-ground with certain questions. I also found the Enneagram tests, for the most part, easier to complete than your typical MBTI test. By the way, I came up as 4w5. I'm not sure whether that's a common type for INTJ's. I suspect that it isn't. INTJ's apparently tend to be 5's more of the time, although I cannot personally confirm this.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Really?? I've only known one other and he no longer posts (as far as I know anyway cause I rarely go to INTPc anymore).

Now an INTP 1 IS interesting. *pokes Magic Poriferan* Post more. Interested now :hug:

I don't go barfing out my opinion unwarranted most of the time.
However, I am embarrassed by how my times I've already sited my combined MBTI and Enneagram types. It's like it's becoming a damn catch-phrase for me. :doh:

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
IMO, MBTI > Enneagram only because I can Ti it.

:laugh: A palindrome.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTPs are frequently type Eights. My guess is that Nocapszy is an Eight.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So is it possible for me to test as a 2 AND a 7?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So is it possible for me to test as a 2 AND a 7?

Yes. Just as it's possible to score as different MBTI types.
This system does not support the idea of dual types, though.
You are either a Two or a Seven.
You have to figure-out which one you have scored higher on over all.

How frequently do you shift between the two results?

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs are frequently type Eights. My guess is that Nocapszy is an Eight.

I think you're right. I don't remember what my result was to be honest, but for some reason 8w9 is coming to mind. Got a good test I can take?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. Just as it's possible to score as different MBTI types.
This system does not support the idea of dual types, though.
You are either a Two or a Seven.
You have to figure-out which one you have scored higher on over all.

How frequently do you shift between the two results?

I score high on both. I believe the 2 is a more lucid reflection of me because the 7 seems to stem not just from my need to make pain stop for others, but from my constant battle with physical pain. I suppose if I were not in pain all the time I'd be less 7. Good point.

Urchin

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
A lot of INTPs on this site appear to be 5w4s, but I am more of a 5w6. I feel that the difference is that 5w4s have less of a bias towards T than INTP 5w6s do, but this is speculation. Also, I'd imagine INTJs have a fair number of 5w6s and possibly 6w5s, though that may be more of an ISTJ thing.

The variants are very helpful. I find that my dominant SX and my secondary SP say a lot about me. I am an intense and often conflicted person regarding other people. When someone interests me, I want to dissect them and understand them. At the same time, I keep most people at arm's length because I don't trust them or don't like them.

What I have noticed is that sometimes one system will have a better fit for an individual than another. 5w6 doesn't describe me quite right, but it's the closest in the Enneagram system that does. INTP is more descriptive of me. This can work in reverse in some cases. Using multiple systems gives more precision, I've found.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Type 1:5
Type 2:2
Type 3:5
Type 4:2
Type 5:6
Type 6:4
Type 7:6
Type 8:4
Type 9:2

So I guess I'm 5w/7?

Challenger seems a more accurate match. I think you're right Magic. Methinks the test sucks ass. Either that or I interpreted it/my behavior wrong.

My guess is I'm 8:5.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Just to butt in a bit I'm of the opinion that the enneagram isn't really about behaviour, that's just how they explain it. Instead think of it as more descriptive of what motivates you.

Using myself as an example (that's usually a bad idea but no where near as bad as offending someone else with my analysis :) ) I'm an INTP 9 (9w5 but the theory won't let me be that :( ) and although it appears to make 9s out to be some kind of Jesus model trying to settle disputes and be as nice as pie to everyone I'm more focused on the balance side of things. Yes I dislike disturbances to my peace but that's more of a background thing in my mind.

This is why I originally looked at the integration of enneagram and MBTI because they aren't really separate. Though the two systems are distinct the results from one system bear great impact on the interpretation of the results from the other system. The thing which I am trying to work out is which is a subgroup of which and what describes what best. For example does the enneagram describe a persons temperament better than the MBTI? Should we use the enneagram to decide who is good with people and who isn't (as a generalisation) or is the MBTI more reflective or is it a combination of the two and if so what?

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just to butt in a bit I'm of the opinion that the enneagram isn't really about behaviour, that's just how they explain it. Instead think of it as more descriptive of what motivates you.

Using myself as an example (that's usually a bad idea but no where near as bad as offending someone else with my analysis :) ) I'm an INTP 9 (9w5 but the theory won't let me be that :( ) and although it appears to make 9s out to be some kind of Jesus model trying to settle disputes and be as nice as pie to everyone I'm more focused on the balance side of things. Yes I dislike disturbances to my peace but that's more of a background thing in my mind.

This is why I originally looked at the integration of enneagram and MBTI because they aren't really separate. Though the two systems are distinct the results from one system bear great impact on the interpretation of the results from the other system. The thing which I am trying to work out is which is a subgroup of which and what describes what best. For example does the enneagram describe a persons temperament better than the MBTI? Should we use the enneagram to decide who is good with people and who isn't (as a generalisation) or is the MBTI more reflective or is it a combination of the two and if so what?

As a One with Two, I really am Jesus! :D

The Enneagram and the MBTI are partly separate. They are like a few colors off by a slight spectral shift. Some aspects of the MBTI and Enneagram results blatantly connect, where as others are more loose. This why we have the type correlation breakdowns like we do.

I haven't attempted with any specifics. I have simply applied both types to myself in entirety. Anything that both types have, I must have a lot.
Anything that neither type has, I must not have at all.
Anything that is opposite between the two types, is either moderate or wishy-washy for me. I just keep it simple like that.

The problem is that the difference are not so conveniently explained.
The Enneagram is less technical and more about motive, but it's not 100%. Perhaps not even 75%. Then you have an odd number versus an even one...

Now, the instinctual variant is a simple add-on test that really is completely about what motivates you. It was designed to be used in conjunction with the Enneagram, but I find it works fine with the MBTI as well.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Wings can also impact the traits you transfer over.

I don't understand wings. I've said before how I always test as strong in both 5 and 8, sometimes more one, sometimes more the other. I read the descriptions in great detail and still it seems I'm half 5, half 8. I wouldn't say I was all one or the other. But yet you can't have a 5w8 or 8w5, apparently?!

There's too much of five that isn't me, for me to say it's my type. But there's too much that is for me to say it isn't. There's too much of 8 that is me to dismiss it; too much that isn't to embrace it. None of the other types seem at all accurate for me.

Why can't I be 5w8??

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As there seems to have to be some weird hang-up in every system, I agree that the wing is what confuses me about the Enneagram.