• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Circumstances v. Hard Work

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I remember this being brought up a while ago in another thread, but it wasn't explored to the extent I would like.

This post is all about Locus of Control theory.

Locus of control - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Locus of control refers to the extent to which individuals believe that they can control events that affect them. Individuals with a high internal locus of control believe that events result primarily from their own behavior and actions. Those with a high external locus of control believe that powerful others, fate, or chance primarily determine events. Those with a high internal locus of control have better control of their behavior, tend to exhibit more political behaviors, and are more likely to attempt to influence other people than those with a high external locus of control; they are more likely to assume that their efforts will be successful. They are more active in seeking information and knowledge concerning their situation.

One's "locus" (Latin for "place" or "location") can either be internal (meaning the person believes that they control their life) or external (meaning they believe that their environment, some higher power, or other people control their decisions and their life).

I am wondering where others stand on this issue, and if there is any distributional relevance to type.

I am also curious to see if one's upbringing significantly affects whether they have an internal or external locus of control.

Let the discussion begin.:devil:

EDIT: I don't know how to make a poll otherwise I would do so.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Put informally, there are two categories of things that happen:

Shit I can't do anything about

and...

Shit I'm too lazy to do anything about

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I try to be realistic, there are some things within my control but I'm also wary that I'm just one little cog in a very big machine.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I have a very strong internal locus of control.

I realize that there are things I have control over and things I don't.

When something goes wrong, I try to always assume that its my fault. If I can only truly control my actions, stressing about things outside of my control is clearly a waste of time.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I have a very strong internal locus of control.

I realize that there are things I have control over and things I don't.

When something goes wrong, I try to always assume that its my fault. If I can only truly control my actions, stressing about things outside of my control is clearly a waste of time.

What about the idea of "if it went wrong, it's not my fault"?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Yea I can, and do, often come to that conclusion. But, once I have, I will usually plan for a way that I can do something in the future to avoid the issue.

It seems like in America, that blame for the problem is more important than the solution to it. Even if it wasn't my fault, that doesn't mean that I can't work on a solution!

T

ThatGirl

Everything is in my control.

If circumstance doesn't allow, essentially it just means I need to go about it in a different way. The motivation doesn't change, nor does the end result.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Everything is in my control.

If circumstance doesn't allow, essentially it just means I need to go about it in a different way. The motivation doesn't change, nor does the end result.

The words of a true ENTJ if ever there was one!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:DBoth my parents are ardent individualists of good moral fiber and sound work ethic.

I could not help growing up with a very strong internal locus of control.

My thoughts are in line with ThatGirl's.
If I can't win, then it's time to bend the rules if the matter is significant.

I don't thrust my will on others just for the sake of doing so, but I'll be damned if I sit back and take shit for any reason.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
yeah, i agree with Halla and thatgirl.
i suppose i have a very high internal locus of control.

i absolutely believe that i make my own success in life, and i have always believed in my own ability to overcome circumtances. sometimes (often?) it feels like a personal challenge when a situation is dead-set against me, so it motivate me even more. when someone says "that's impossible" my first reaction is always to think "oh really? nothing's impossible".
haha, so it does kind of light a fire under me when someone or something throws up these insurmountable walls.
so i tend to even go to extremes, and think that i can beat any odds or circumstances set against me.

for me personally, my upbringing absolutely played a huge part in my being this way. as i got older i realized how much i wanted to break out of this stifling and opressive neighborhood and culture i grew up in, but everyone there always told me "no, you can't. nobody leaves here." so that really charged me up, and me feel like 'that's not true, i can do anything i want!!'
so for me it was a kind of rebellion. all my life everyone was always telling me 'stay put, this is your life, you can't rise up or become anything'. and every time they told me that, it would make this little part of me grow more and more.
so now my natural instinct, my natural inclination, is to think i can do anything i want to, overcome anything that cicumstance puts in front of me.

LucrativeSid

How can people even think they are not in control of their lives? Sure, some things are random but you can still always react to those things however you choose to. I'm all about taking responsibility. If you're broke, for example, it's because of what you did. Most likely, it's because of what you did for many years. It's not the economy's fault. Thinking your life is up to fate is like handing your power away. In order to create what you want you have to admit that it's your fault that you don't already have it. (Within reason.)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
(Within reason.)

Where do you guys with the strong internal locus of control draw the line of reason?

Do you ever feel like you can contol the weather or anything amusing like that?

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Where do you guys with the strong internal locus of control draw the line of reason?

you are talking to a native american, son! ever heard of a rain dance??
:laugh:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Where are all the external locus people?

They are unable to post because someone broke their computer and then the power company cut their power for no reason and they never actually learnt how to type because their typing teacher never liked them and because the moon and venus just aren't in the right alignment at the moment.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
you are talking to a native american, son! ever heard of a rain dance??
:laugh:

The most effective raindance is to pay for a big tanker of water. Just after it's delivered the heavens will open without fail. :newwink:

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
They are unable to post because someone broke their computer and then the power company cut their power for no reason and they never actually learnt how to type because their typing teacher never liked them and because the moon and venus just aren't in the right alignment at the moment.

:rofl1:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Um. I believe hard work is enough to reach a "good" level at everything. To be "great", you need circumstances to work for you (ex. talent, timing, lack of competition, availability of resources). So, I guess I'm halfway.
I don't think we can forget that we have not choose that we're born, and we have not chosen some of our innate abilities. For example, I'm 5'9'', so I will never be a pro basketaball player no matter how much I train. This is an example of circumstances that don't allow for a given goal.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think I just try to take as much about a situation into account as possible, both internal and external. I have extensive experience of both these things being key to success and failure so perhaps that's why I try to analyse and foresee both of them so much. I also don't see the external as different from the internal in any significant way. Both sometimes are and sometimes aren't within our control, and depending on how you define the self, may never be. But maybe in this context 'internal' is actually defined as 'within our control' and 'the self' is defined in such a way as that makes sense. That would explain the following quote.

Those with a high internal locus of control have better control of their behavior, tend to exhibit more political behaviors, and are more likely to attempt to influence other people than those with a high external locus of control; they are more likely to assume that their efforts will be successful.
Perhaps they are less likely to have had previous efforts seriously incumbered by things they couldn't or didn't know how to overcome.

wolfy

awsm

You control your reaction to the weather. An internal locus of control means I am responsible for what happens to me. Not to blame, blame looks back. Responsible, responsible looks forward.

An internal sense of control. Not shoving your own agenda through.