• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

No direction? No purpose?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I feel a distinct lack of direction lately. I have things I want to accomplish but none of them seem catastrophic if I failed to do them. How do you deal with a lack of direction?

G

Glycerine

I just constantly think about how its going to affect me in the future. Is it going to make me happy? Is it worth all the effort? What are you really passionate about? It probably will take some sort of catalyst esp. if you are strong P. Even as a moderate J, I still struggle w/ the motivation factor. I have to go into super J, type A mode to get anything done.

P

Phantonym

At this point, I'm highly unhealthy when it comes to dealing with my lack of direction. Avoidance. As long as I possibly can. And beating myself up about that because I realize that it's not going to get me anywhere. Until something clicks and this happens:

I have to go into super J, type A mode to get anything done.

Intermittent periods of avoidance and hyper-directed-towards-something-in-the-future-periods. Frustration.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
When I'm in a state of numbness/feel directionless... I start to ask what I view are the most important things in life. Then I start to ask myself what my purpose is? I visualize the situation & ask the million-dollar question:

What would you do if you had all the money in the world? If you already had the chance to travel to all the destinations you've ever desired to? Engaged in all the fun activities you've ever wanted to? If money, leisure, was of no concern, what can I imgaine myself waking up to every morning to make life worth living?

I'd also take it to the other extreme- if I had nothing left in my life, what kind of job/activity would really motivate me to get out of bed? That's when I know what my true passions are.. I think most people do know what their passion is, but sometimes, when we're too comfortable or inhibited (live in fear), we tend to get discouraged. The key thing is to remember what truly makes us happy- to listen to the kid inside of us, to nurture who we truly are at heart. :)

Hope this helps.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I feel a distinct lack of direction lately. I have things I want to accomplish but none of them seem catastrophic if I failed to do them. How do you deal with a lack of direction?

Let me know if you figure out the answer, because that's exactly how I've felt ever since I graduated high school. It sucks, I have too many options and I don't know what I want, so I just don't do anything. :(

The irony is that I would probably cope better in a situation where I had to perform. I've got all the time in the world, no deadlines or expectations, and I can't make myself do anything. Just find myself stuck in my old habits. :doh:

So to answer your question... I listen to this song:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzCi1lu2ys"]Too much time on my hands[/YOUTUBE]

And then I drink 5 or 6 sodas, watch TV reruns, and then post on forums and talk on AIM all day. Then maybe I fall asleep and repeat the process the next day.

Try not to do what I do, 'kay? Not the best way to cope.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

:laugh:

I tend to be directionless in general - it's been the primary mode of my existence. Even as a teenager I didn't have any idea what I wanted to do/be when I grew up, or what my purpose was.

For myself, I suppose it ends up being an intuitive process; a bit of a 'waiting game' sometimes...feeling stagnant in the moment, and all the feelings that come with that, but knowing I can't force it either. Sometimes I think my brain needs to do all this behind-the-scenes stuff and for a while although I am motionless and am not really doing anything, all of a sudden everything clicks and I 'know' what I want to do.

Basically every 2-3 yrs this crops up...a need for something new, and a need to find a new 'purpose' to work towards. Because I've never figured out the ultimate thing - the job/passion/what-work-would-be-meaningful-or-at-least-somewhat-enjoyable thing - I think this is why it tends to be more frequent for me. Anything I do come up with tends to take just a few yrs - I haven't found a really longterm project or goal that would keep me going for several years.

There are a variety of 'solutions' for me. Sometimes it involves a change of scenery, sometimes a change of job, sometimes a need to change my perception of things (which is the trickiest one), sometimes reprioritizing things in my life or shifting focus to concentrate on something I've pushed onto the back burner, and sometimes I realize I am not going to figure out anything, I'm spinning my wheels and going in circles, and if none of the many options are ideal, I must accept that fact and just pick one..so sometimes, the act of movement - ANY movement - is the answer. While I love the notion of having some vast 'purpose' to my life, I am beginning to doubt that is the best way to approach life - at least in terms of my own personality. So I create mini-purposes, and sometimes think there doesn't have to be a larger-than-life purpose (even though I'll always try to find one ;))

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I just go out and jump into serious Se mode until I feel so uncomfortable with having acted on too many impulses and feel the need to start getting things done to feel like myself again.

Carnallace

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My sense of direction is often perfectly ordered.
Except that, that direction is often unrealistic.
It’s not that I set my expectation too high; it’s that I don’t believe in myself enough to achieve them.
I procrastinate because I’m afraid that when I do complete something, it won’t be good enough, or it won’t work out the way I expected it to.
I know what I want and exactly how to get it, it’s simply the fear of getting it and it not being how I envisioned that keeps me from it.

My advice is to figure out why you feel like you have a lack of direction. Are you afraid? Are you confused about what you want? Is what you’re trying to accomplish simply not interesting? Or do you really want to accomplish it, but aren’t sure if you’ll be able? etc. etc.
Once you are able to identify what’s holding you back, it will be easier to move forward.

And major props to Athenian200 for the Styx reference. ;]

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I usually get a lack of direction when I've worked too hard, and I haven't enjoyed the fruits of my labor enough. I lose the meaning of what it would do to me to accomplish something. I lose the idea of what it is to have a direction.

I guess to have a sense of direction, I must enjoy some of the stuff I'll be fully enjoying when I've reached my goal. It'll translate in my mind to the idea that I'll get more of this wonderful stuff when I'm there. In other words, I sometimes lose sight of long term goals if there's no reward for a long time. Perhaps because I've denied myself of that reward in attempt to push myself further. It doesn't always work; it's good to reward oneself.

*that was one tired, repetitive post. Well, I did intend that as the last post before going to sleep. Damn I'm tired!*

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
What would you do if you had all the money in the world? If you already had the chance to travel to all the destinations you've ever desired to? Engaged in all the fun activities you've ever wanted to? If money, leisure, was of no concern, what can I imgaine myself waking up to every morning to make life worth living?

I just want to read and learn mainly.

wolfy

awsm
I usually sit down and think about what I'd like to be able to do in five years, where I'd ike to be in five years. That gives me a certain clarity and direction that I really like. I don't plan out the details, it's just working through priorities and the general direction that I find value in. I like what Peter Drucker once said, You overestimate what you can do in a year and underestimate what you can do in five.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I usually sit down and think about what I'd like to be able to do in five years, where I'd ike to be in five years. That gives me a certain clarity and direction that I really like. I don't plan out the details, it's just working through priorities and the general direction that I find value in. I like what Peter Drucker once said, You overestimate what you can do in a year and underestimate what you can do in five.

Nice quote.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've not felt without direction for so long I don't know what to say.

There are thousands of things I want to do NOW.

Really, it's hard for me to sit on my ass and do nothing.

I think between cartoons as a kid and partying in college I'm done with being a sloth.

Why not play a prank on someone? That's always fun. :yes:

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Purpose comes from experience. When you have enough experience, you will find your purpose.

If you truly lack purpose, I think perhaps breathing itself is a purpose. Surviving and being in a conscious state is already one of the greatest gifts in life.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP

Perhaps try to define your purpose in terms of others... feelings can come and go but other people, their needs, and how you meet them will not.

Purpose comes from experience. When you have enough experience, you will find your purpose.

If you truly lack purpose, I think perhaps breathing itself is a purpose. Surviving and being in a conscious state is already one of the greatest gifts in life.

Proficiency comes from experience, but does being good at something make it your purpose?

For example, Jason was experienced/proficient at killing people with a chainsaw but is that the purpose it was made for? :angry: If not simply to drive us to proficiency, why do we feel a need for purpose?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx

Shit adds up man. One day you're too lazy to wipe after #2, next day you got ass gangrene.

If that visual isn't enough to motivate you, nothing is.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram

Synarch, I may not be feeling these things at the same level, but I have felt them. I go through what you just explained all the time.

The advice I can give is that this is just a phase. I go through drastic phases all of the, and this is one I often fall into.

I guess just wait your course and hopefully something will come your way. Sometimes I feel like we need to do less chasing, and more waiting.

But that's not how I function, so it's hard. Hang in there, man. It's like a virus, it'll play its course and then you'll move on. Maybe with some wisdom.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Oh, i am glad i am not alone in this .. That does sound bad :blush:

I have never quite known what my purpose is, other than to raise 2 amazing children. I never had any idea what i would be when i grew up, i still don't.

Situations have always found me, so i plod along and hope for the best. Don't get me wrong, i don't sit around twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to happen. I have taken night courses over the years. I am actively making the most out of being unemployed and taking whatever course i can so looking good on my CV. But if i ask myself why am i taking these courses, other than to better myself then i don't know.

I recently thought about training to be a nurse and even got in touch with a local college, but i knew deep down that it would never bear the fruits so i left it. It didn't feel right (if that makes any sense).

I envy people who know what they want from life and to know what your purpose is, must be so gratifying.

Kyi

MBTI Type
ENFP
I have been this way for quite some time. Ever since high school or as a little kid, I never had anything that I truly felt passionate about. Because of that, I never really felt motivated enough to take one path. In a way, I sort of feel like I am waiting for something to happen in my life that would inspire me or direct me towards a certain path. But I am 24 years old now, and I'm starting to realize this "epiphany" may not happen to me and I'll have to just pick up something, severely late compared to others my age, and just hope I don't wish to kill myself after a few years.

If anything, I know whatever I do, if I don't like it, I'm not going to do well and still be searching for that thing... whatever it is.

I loathe school. I don't want a crappy service industry job. I'm not going to sell my body or be a drug dealer. Am I shit out of luck unless I marry a rich guy or win the lotto? I guess I am.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Oh man, I've been struggling with this for a while (seems like a lot of people are).

It's because I'm often overwhelmed by my perfectionist nature; I end up avoiding anything that has to do with my future goals for fear that I'll attempt "things" (everything's really vague in my brain) and won't reach the standards I try to achieve.
I won't allow myself to become passionate about anything because that'll mean intentionally becoming vulnerable to my own mental barbs.
And then when I decide that I seriously need to stop avoiding crap, I feel like there's way too much lost time to make up, way too many things that I want to do, should do, need to do--it's all too late, so what's the point, right?

A way that helps me deal with this is to simplify everything. I write on a piece of notebook paper what I enjoy doing, what I want to see myself doing in the future. Then, I think about what I can do in the present that will help me achieve whatever I wrote down.

So my thoughts will be, "Well, one day I'll find some profound purpose in my life that'll motivate me, but not today, what's the point... someday..."
to
"If I don't do A, I won't reach B."

And if I don't know what B is, I'll make something up until further notice.

Shit adds up man. One day you're too lazy to wipe after #2, next day you got ass gangrene.

If that visual isn't enough to motivate you, nothing is.

Lmao! That's a nice visual.