• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

thinking in a language you don't know

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
ever have this happen? isn't it weird so you're thinking in what sounds like french but you can't be sure because you don't know french nor do you know what you're thinking cuz you don't understand your thoughts.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Sometimes I think in nonsensespeak. I never learnt speaking that language, but somehow I have a natural talent for thinking in it. I must be a super genius!

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Tis Gobbledygook

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
When I was speaking alot of spanish I used to dream in spanish.

But how would I know what language I am thinking in if I've never learned it.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
do you people actually read or just pretend to? I said clearly in the first post that you can't be sure but it sounds like that language. Because even though I don't know french I have heard french so I have somewhat of an idea how it sounds.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's just the accent mate.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no it's not because the words were not remotely english.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Doesn't have to be. I can speak to you in Japanese in an italian accent and anyone who doesn't know italian at all would think it's italian. You just made up words in your head and put it to good use with the accent to make it sound the same.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
apparently since you can read my mind what am I thinking? besides I know some of the words were french maybe not all because I've heard those exact words listening to a french person speak, do I have a clue what they mean? no.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I often think in a language that is not my native, but how can you think in a language you don't know...?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I dont think in language at all, but it happened before that I forgot german words and rather used english ones cause they described a thing more accurately with lesser words. For that matter I can talk to myself in the head in english but the actual thinking process is not composed of words.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've never consciously thought in a language I don't know, but I did have a nightmare in German once.

There were three phrases I could make out.

"Zushlagen," followed by a person slamming their first on their hand, and then a door slamming. I think it has a meaning along the lines of slam.

"Grill in tog," and I saw something being burned. I think it has something to do with burning and time.

"slitten fewren!" also appeared, and I got the vague idea of snow and rapid movement.

I don't know if those are actual German words or not. I heard many other words, but ended up focusing on the ideas going through my head as I spoke them (which gave me the meanings) rather than the words being spoken, so I don't remember them.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
How can you think in a language that you don't speak?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
how the hell am i suppose to know? all i know is it happened.

Atomic Fiend

I've had dream where people spoke to me in french, but that really doesn't count because I know some french...

nanook

a scream in a vortex
@athenian200
"zuschlagen." to hit or slam.
"grill in tog?" i have no idea. to grill for a whole day? grill einen tag? not correct though. makes no sense.
"schlitten fahren." riding/driving on a sleigh.