• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

thinking in a language you don't know

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
@athenian200
"zuschlagen." to hit or slam.
"grill in tog?" i have no idea. to grill for a whole day? grill einen tag? not correct though. makes no sense.
"schlitten fahren." riding/driving on a sleigh.

The first and last one make sense. Those were the images in the dream associated with the words.

I think the middle one was meant to evoke the idea of slow incineration. Perhaps such that it might take a whole day. That one might have just been a fluke, maybe that one was made up by my unconscious because I knew the word "grill" in English. There wasn't an extra word there, though. I tried looking around at the words, and I think it was "grillen tag," but I'm pretty sure it's not a valid phrase.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
"grill in tog?" i have no idea. to grill for a whole day? grill einen tag? not correct though. makes no sense.

Maybe Tod? Dead?

"Tog" also means Train in Denmark

:shock:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Maybe Tod? Dead?

"Tog" also means Train in Denmark

:shock:

What's so shocking?

But I do have to say, those terms might be applicable as well... what was being grilled might have been the dead. And there's a possibility that they were being transported on trains. Maybe there was cannibalism? I don't remember well, I've tried to block it out.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I hardly think in English as is. I only use English when I'm trying to communicate. Language is an expression of ideas without being the ideas themselves. I can't recall words every being used in my dreams, honestly. If anything, it's all just shapes interacting.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
I hardly think in English as is. I only use English when I'm trying to communicate. Language is an expression of ideas without being the ideas themselves. I can't recall words every being used in my dreams, honestly. If anything, it's all just shapes interacting.

interesting.

hm, wonder if there is a pattern with type and thinking styles...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
It's not the only thing smokable that achieves the desired result.

yeah i wouldn't smoke crack, their's other things i'd smoke, but growing up seeing crack heads wander around and how scary they can be no thank you, and i wouldn't smoke meth either.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I began learning Czech, and began dreaming poetry in Czech, but with words I wasn't familiar with. But when I looked them up, the were actual words. And they rhymed.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think in Chinese, but I've never learned the language.

:doh:

G

Ginkgo

Firstly, no one really thinks in a particular "language". Thoughts are simply conveyed through language during the communication process.

Secondly, No.

Thirdly, I will sometimes speak Japanese when I intended to speak English. This is probably the result of immersing myself in my Japanese Foreign Language Class too much.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I've never consciously thought in a language I don't know, but I did have a nightmare in German once.

There were three phrases I could make out.

"Zushlagen," followed by a person slamming their first on their hand, and then a door slamming. I think it has a meaning along the lines of slam.

"Grill in tog," and I saw something being burned. I think it has something to do with burning and time.

"slitten fewren!" also appeared, and I got the vague idea of snow and rapid movement.

I don't know if those are actual German words or not. I heard many other words, but ended up focusing on the ideas going through my head as I spoke them (which gave me the meanings) rather than the words being spoken, so I don't remember them.

Zushlagen = Zuschlagen, which is very cruel. The other two made no sense to me

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
What's so shocking?

But I do have to say, those terms might be applicable as well... what was being grilled might have been the dead. And there's a possibility that they were being transported on trains. Maybe there was cannibalism? I don't remember well, I've tried to block it out.

No nothing shocking :) The smile was meant to convey more "confusion" than "shock".

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Firstly, no one really thinks in a particular "language". Thoughts are simply conveyed through language during the communication process.

I don't think so. I definitely think in words when I'm dealing with certain concepts.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
A theory of one.
It is the only theory that can possibly explain the phenomenon.

What is real? If the wave function is real, and the wave function collapse is not, many worlds come by.
The many worlds theory is not the only alternative to the Bohr dictate.

Einstein said: God does not throw dice.
Bohr said: Do not tell God what to do.
Einstein said: Is the moon there when you are not looking at it?

In other words:
Suppose the wave function collapse is real as well.
The moon is there when you do not look?

We would not be in this mess if Bohr had not won the day in Copenhagen.
One man, one vote. Politics is bad science.

We have to wind back the clock.
What if the collapse is linked to stress in relativistic spacetime?

If so, we are back to one universe. Without Bohr.
Roger Penrose did wind back the clock.

Ambivalence is an illusion.
In Copenhagen they discussed about what. It is about when what.
When gravity comes into the question?

The answer is in the loci, respective the mass.
The particle property is respective of curvature.

Neuroscience should catch up. It seems a new door is open in the study of consciousness.
It seems the moon is there all right.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Ambivalence is an illusion.
In Copenhagen they discussed about what. It is about when what.
When gravity comes into the question?

Heisenberg visited Bohr in the early 40s. The Germans wanted tubing for their bicycles, alloy ones... Maybe, maybe not.

Heisenberg learned Danish and he a Bohr spoke in Danish.

Did Heisenberg think in Danish?

Of course he didn't. If he had, he would never have went to Copenhagen.;)

:)

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Heisenberg visited Bohr in the early 40s. The Germans wanted tubing for their bicycles, alloy ones... Maybe, maybe not.

Heisenberg learned Danish and he a Bohr spoke in Danish.

Did Heisenberg think in Danish?

Of course he didn't. If he had, he would never have went to Copenhagen.;)

:)
So true .. :)
Erich Kastner did not think in Danish either. He went to Copenhagen, too.
Later, before the war ended, he hid in the mountains in the south. He pretended he was making a movie. He had the camera, but no film.
Wolfie did not catch him. All the wise people hid in the mountains. Alberto Moravia hid in the mountains, too. The Russians arrived one day and raped all the women. He wrote a book about the mountain experience. It was called two women. Mother and daughter. A true story.

Maybe we have to thank Heisenberg that Wolfie did not make the bomb. He called theoretical physics a Jewish science.
The Russians were in Copenhagen, too. The war had already ended. Koba was always a little late in the scene. But he had the bomb made before the decade was out. Thanks to Beria. The Mingrelian chap with the pince-nez.

When I watch movies in the night, I always choose Danish subtitles.
In Scandinavia, you cannot choose English.