• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are you the Golden Child?

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm totally the black sheep. Completely undeserved.. :(

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I'm sort of the favorite grandchild, but to be honest I think it's just because I was around the most, I'm pretty low maintenance , and my ISFJ mother drilled etiquette into me from a young age. I've occasionally been a favorite student, and I did use that to get some leniency on deadlines (I have a terrible habit of not doing homework). I don't know why those teachers liked me though, I never made any effort to be particularly friendly with them.

On the one occasion where I was a favorite employee, there was some minor tension between myself and others. It was mostly because I was just not naturally good at socializing with my peers and I neglected that aspect in favor of just trying to be pleasant to the managers (and customers). It was more a conservation of my somewhat limited ability to be likeable than anything sinister. I could see some people finding themselves in a similar situation and seeing the need to play that up for the sake of their own ego (because they feel they are not liked by their coworkers), possibly without realizing what they are doing. That could be what you're seeing, Protean. I'm just giving the individual you described the benefit of the doubt, because if they're anything like me they might just be acting in ignorance of the social dynamic.

However I also worked a lot harder than many of the other employees, and found that the ones I clashed with the most were the ones who had no interest in doing the job well (ie they were unpleasant and lazy). Also there was one manager there who valued some quality that a few of those employees had but that I did not, and for the life of me I still have no idea what it was...anyway I was simultaneously a favorite and a least favorite, so I kind of saw it from both sides.

Pristinegirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
There's a thread here about people sucking up to gain favor. I'm wondering about people who may or may not suck up but realize either way that they are in a favored position in a particular situation.

Maybe you're a favorite student, favorite child, favorite employee, favorite friend. However you got there, you have now arrived.

If it hasn't been through means of your own undertaking, i.e. you just happened to be the recipient of someone liking you and the person who likes you is in a position to make your life easier, how do you respond to people being jealous or envious of your favor? Are envious feelings ever justified in such a situation?

People may not want to be honest about this part, but do you ever use your favored position to your advantage, especially if that position was not earned through traditional means such as hard work and dedication? If so, how do you use it?

I never suck up!! I like to be liked by award authorities therefore I genuinely show interest. I do my best to impress :) I could not stand the thought of being mediocre...

- I have been several teachers favourite student, and those who become envious are usually disbelieving doubters so I tend to have a 'chin up' attitude expressing ' :devil:;):yes: IN YOUR FACE!!!!! :D:smile: '
- I am an only child.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I don't like to think of myself as a golden child but i do get on with my mother and father better than my siblings .. I am the oldest though.

I was never teachers pet at school.

I do find because i have an outgoing and caring personality that i do get along with most people .. Example .. On my course at the moment, some teacher pulled me for a review and whilst we waited for the computer to load up we were chatting away. He apologised for keeping me away from my chocolate (he wanted me to follow him and i didn't hear him as i was thinking about my chocolate, which i told him) and he said that on my next visit, he'd buy me some chocolate. Would that be classed as teachers pet or just someone being friendly and nice?

In the workplace, i don't get in with the popular crowd. I don't need to brown-nose staff above me because my work will speak for itself. I have clearly seen brown-nosing and it is not pretty but i don't pay much attention as if i can see it, can the team leaders? I know my work will reflect the size of my bonus and a good reference should i need it. I don't need to play games in the workplace.