• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A Thread About Emotions......

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do you feel them concretely or abstractly?

Oh, and here are some examples of emotions in case you don't know what they are:

:cry: - Distressed sadness

:blush: - Cheeky embarassment

:blushing: - Ashamed embarassment

:shock: - Extreme surprise

:huh: - Mild surprise/puzzlement

:) - Happy

;) - Witty

:( - Mildly sad

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
nothingness makes me sad that girl...

T

ThatGirl

Oh here is something to think about

Why are "NT"s supposedly adverse to good emotions, but not negative ones?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Ah, an excellent question. People likewise also assume NFs are averse to negative emotions and only value positive ones. Many would assume NTs are cynics and NFs are optimists.

I think it's based on a misunderstanding of objectivity and rationality. Many people think that being critical, negative, and insensitive is more "honest" or "logical" than being upbeat, emphasizing the good, or being sensitive. I think this often gives NTs an undeserved bad name. It also makes people assume that NFs are somehow more naive or less capable of feeling negative emotions, because all the "evil" feelings get tossed over onto the thinking side (to the point that a person who isn't cheerful and dislikes poeple is often assumed to be T). Somehow, the common conception of thinking tosses a lot of negative, nasty, depressing stuff in there along with it, somehow construing it as more objective, which is an error.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh here is something to think about

that is interesting...it's the opposite for me so...something to that i think.

T

ThatGirl

Ah, an excellent question. People likewise also assume NFs are averse to negative emotions and only value positive ones. Many would assume NTs are cynics and NFs are optimists.

I think it's based on a misunderstanding of objectivity and rationality. Many people think that being critical, negative, and insensitive is more "honest" or "logical" than being upbeat, emphasizing the good, or being sensitive. I think this often gives NTs an undeserved bad name. It also makes people assume that NFs are somehow more naive or less capable of feeling negative emotions, because all the "evil" feelings get tossed over onto the thinking side. Somehow, the common conception of thinking tosses a lot of negative, nasty, depressing stuff in there along with it, somehow construing it as more objective, which is an error.

Agreed. Some of the NTs I have known have been the most openly warm people. The only difference being they don't pretend to be for the sake of conformity. When an NT is good emotional mood, it is generally well deserved and genuine. And equally as common as other types.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
EXTPs are emotionally retarded, seriously.
They are at the bottom of our pecking order of reality.

Regarding NT/NF pessimism/optimism, I know NFs that are doom-gloomers and others that are as happy as me. I also have one pessimistic NT of a brother but know a few reasonably optimistic NT friends.

I don't know that emotional polarity is type-specific, but the degree to which emotions are considered in our active thoughts and subconscious scheming is from what I can tell.

I'm practical, but not at all cold.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
^^ Yeah but we're really good at faking it. Later on, we figure out how much we need other people, and then it just gets easier from there. Of course, others think it's weird how often we reassure people that we're glad to have them around at this point.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
EXTPs are emotionally retarded, seriously.
They are at the bottom of our pecking order of reality.

Regarding NT/NF pessimism/optimism, I know NFs that are doom-gloomers and others that are as happy as me. I also have one pessimistic NT of a brother but know a few reasonably optimistic NT friends.

I don't know that emotional polarity is type-specific, but the degree to which emotions are considered in our active thoughts and subconscious scheming is from what I can tell.

I'm practical, but not at all cold.

right...i just took some test that seemed to say my optimism was a result of high extroversion...is it an e/i thing? or no not so much?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
right...i just took some test that seemed to say my optimism was a result of high extroversion...is it an e/i thing? or no not so much?

I think it's generally a volitional attitude. With obvious exceptions, most situations can be viewed with either a positive or negative outlook.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Many would assume NTs are cynics and NFs are optimists.

ENTP optimist til the end! :happy:

It's even in our type profile:
ENTPs are basically optimists, but in spite of this (perhaps because of it?), they tend to become extremely petulant about small setbacks and inconveniences. (Major setbacks they tend to regard as challenges, and tackle with determination.)

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
That being said, an ENTP who is pessimistic can depress the hell out of anyone. Endlessly critical in a way that even INTJs think goes overboard