• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The sad face expression

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I decided to do a bit of experimenting on reactions of people.
I got the idea because I rarely see people do a sad face expression in real life. Men like to look tough and show no signs of weakness while women try to look charming. This is why it's a bit hard to find someone who actually looks upset.
So what I did was test out a few different facial features and ask for certain things and errands from people that it would be hard for them to give or do.

I tried the great smile expression.
Doesn't work well. People look at me like "who does this guy think he is" and find it easier to refuse my requests as I look quite open.

I tried the very slight smile expression with closed lips.
I've gotten good results with this. People think I'm a good hearted fellow who has no bad intentions and I look a bit submissive.

I tried the neutral face expression. A very dull look.
Not good with this one. People will treat me like the average person. I look like a nobody and I'm not worth their time.

I tried the bored, 'your wasting my time' expression (which is my most used expression)
This gets alright results. What I do is use the expression and if they hesitate giving answer I purposely use a body language expression such as tapping on the table to make them say yes. They get the idea that I'm angry inside and as they hesitate I start physically showing my 'anger' which causes them to quickly say yes.

I tried the slightly angry serious face expression
This works well towards most people. Some people would have a problem thinking "does this guy think he's better than me" but most of the time I guess people are too afraid to annoy and would do the request.

I tried the angry expression
This has a black or white effect. Either the person will totally reject you or do what you want with beautiful results.

I tried the sad expression
This... works wonders. The best expression to use to get what you want. Barely any people use it and if you use it people will get some sort of surprise. People will either feel sorry for you or they will see you as a submissive person and want to help you (they feel they have responsibilty over you).

Any thoughts?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Sincerity always works the best.

In other words... don't *try* at all.

:)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Smile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although many different types of smiles have been identified and studied, researchers have devoted particular attention to an anatomical distinction first recognized by French physician Guillaume Duchenne. While conducting research on the physiology of facial expressions in the mid-nineteenth century, Duchenne identified two distinct types of smiles. A Duchenne smile involves contraction of both the zygomatic major muscle (which raises the corners of the mouth) and the orbicularis oculi muscle (which raises the cheeks and forms crow's feet around the eyes). A non-Duchenne smile involves only the zygomatic major muscle.[3] Many researchers believe that Duchenne smiles indicate genuine spontaneous emotions since most people cannot voluntarily contract the outer portion of the orbicularis oculi muscle.[4]

:) vs. :D

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It was an experiment. I can't experiment without trying.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
So when you smiled, did you try to make it look like a true Duchenne smile described in CaptainChick's quote? Did you use the muscles around the eyes?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, I've started out as clueless as to human behavior, and experimented. I get you. I think of it much as scientific experiment, but much of it I really feel it and know it from inside out. So I think I know what you're getting at. Give an expression, observe the reaction.

I've tried expressions in front of a mirror. I'm not very good. If I actually really feel like something, i.e. interested, delighted, etc. I express it easily and well. For the most part, I think I can do okay with a courteous smile, expressions etc. which are mild and close to average.

I could never smile all the time with super happy face, McDonalds way.

I've seemed angry at times, and people have been worried, frightened and avoidant of me.

Too bad I think my interaction is dominated by the times I seem angry, pushing people away. People remember threatening persons for a very long time. Even if they weren't really threatening - or, if they weren't of any danger. Sad :(

I guess I've controlled this for the most part for the last 3 years. Everything I have done with people has improved.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
True.

INTJs are infinitely weird.

I question how I find your type so charming. :shock:
INTJs are charming? I wouldn't comprehend it.

So when you smiled, did you try to make it look like a true Duchenne smile described in CaptainChick's quote? Did you use the muscles around the eyes?
Actually, I tried to use the muscle around the eyes in the slight smile experiment to try and make it look genuine.

Well, I've started out as clueless as to human behavior, and experimented. I get you. I think of it much as scientific experiment, but much of it I really feel it and know it from inside out. So I think I know what you're getting at. Give an expression, observe the reaction.

I've tried expressions in front of a mirror. I'm not very good. If I actually really feel like something, i.e. interested, delighted, etc. I express it easily and well. For the most part, I think I can do okay with a courteous smile, expressions etc. which are mild and close to average.

I could never smile all the time with super happy face, McDonalds way.

I've seemed angry at times, and people have been worried, frightened and avoidant of me.

Too bad I think my interaction is dominated by the times I seem angry, pushing people away. People remember threatening persons for a very long time. Even if they weren't really threatening - or, if they weren't of any danger. Sad :(

I guess I've controlled this for the most part for the last 3 years. Everything I have done with people has improved.
That's pretty cool. It's much better if you raise your eyebrows when dealing with people. It shows non-aggressiveness.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I decided to do a bit of experimenting on reactions of people.
I got the idea because I rarely see people do a sad face expression in real life. Men like to look tough and show no signs of weakness while women try to look charming. This is why it's a bit hard to find someone who actually looks upset.
So what I did was test out a few different facial features and ask for certain things and errands from people that it would be hard for them to give or do.

Doesn't work well. People look at me like "who does this guy think he is" and find it easier to refuse my requests as I look quite open.

I tried the very slight smile expression with closed lips.
I've gotten good results with this. People think I'm a good hearted fellow who has no bad intentions and I look a bit submissive.

Not good with this one. People will treat me like the average person. I look like a nobody and I'm not worth their time.

I tried the bored, 'your wasting my time' expression (which is my most used expression)
This gets alright results. What I do is use the expression and if they hesitate giving answer I purposely use a body language expression such as tapping on the table to make them say yes. They get the idea that I'm angry inside and as they hesitate I start physically showing my 'anger' which causes them to quickly say yes.

This works well towards most people. Some people would have a problem thinking "does this guy think he's better than me" but most of the time I guess people are too afraid to annoy and would do the request.

I tried the angry expression
This has a black or white effect. Either the person will totally reject you or do what you want with beautiful results.

This... works wonders. The best expression to use to get what you want. Barely any people use it and if you use it people will get some sort of surprise. People will either feel sorry for you or they will see you as a submissive person and want to help you (they feel they have responsibilty over you).

Any thoughts?

Please attach pictures :D :cheese: :smile: :) :( :cool: :eek: :confused: :ohmy: :steam: :azdaja:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Smilies don't clearly show what I mean. But I'll add proper pictures if I find them.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I've done this sort of thing before as well, after I bought a few body language books. It's a great tool for knowing how to interact to get what you want, but it's also weird to see people's emotions on display more often.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
largesmile.jpg

I tried the very slight smile expression with closed lips
slightsmile.jpg

RickAstley.jpg

bored.jpg

slightlyangry.jpg

I tried the angry expression.
angry-face.jpg

i_m_too_sad_to_tell_you.jpg
hansbroughsadface.jpg

Refer to my OP for results.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I was thinking about starting a thread on facial expressions. I realized as I fall asleep my face relaxes. I normally go around with my face in a slight smile expression, without meaning to. When my face is fully relaxed I look older and less open.

I think a lot of people actually walk around with their face relaxed. I should take pictures but I'm actually a little scary with a fully relaxed face. (And no, I don't think about it, I have to think about actually relaxing the facial muscles.)

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Noooo...these, are bananas. :bananallama::moonwalk::banana2::sadbanana: :banana:

INTJs are just odd ducks. :D

Speaking of, banduckas should be a word.

As in, a rare group of solitary birds who prey on monkeys and build nests out of stolen banana peels, banduckas.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Speaking of, banduckas should be a word.

As in, a rare group of solitary birds who prey on monkeys and build nests out of stolen banana peels, banduckas.

Just a little revision sweets.

" ...a rare group of solitary birds who prey on hairless apes, and build nests out of stolen banana peels, banduckas."

And perhaps throw in a mention of the male's magnificent banana colored crest.

:D

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^(last few posts)...Gibberish
I was thinking about starting a thread on facial expressions. I realized as I fall asleep my face relaxes. I normally go around with my face in a slight smile expression, without meaning to. When my face is fully relaxed I look older and less open.

I think a lot of people actually walk around with their face relaxed. I should take pictures but I'm actually a little scary with a fully relaxed face. (And no, I don't think about it, I have to think about actually relaxing the facial muscles.)
So it's become like some sort of habit. I guess it would as people tend to get good vibes from the slight smile expression and you would get better social interaction.