• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

American Culture

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
You do realise don't you that most of us think Americans have a paranoid view of the very government they elect themselves.

The national government is made up of those with culture and concerns from the states, not national culture. This is because there is so little national culture.

I'm so confused. Why not discuss regional culture in America? It's certainly there.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
You do realise don't you that most of us think Americans have a paranoid view of the very government they elect themselves.

We elect through a proxy. There's everything to be paranoid about.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
The national government is made up of those with culture and concerns from the states, not national culture. This is because there is so little national culture.

I'm so confused. Why not discuss regional culture in America? It's certainly there.

Your right. I've noticed a definite regional culture in places. It seems to be very prevalent in the south, but that might be because they have completely different accents and cuisine.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm sure that if they took that poll 50 years back America would be near the top, but you know. We've become conflicted. We've got too many things going on and the government is running amok.

Our people are more concerned in their individuality more than their nationalistic views. Which is how I view it should be, as nationalism breeds prejudice.

The government was running(more of) an amok 50 years ago than they are now. We're just finding out about what they did and how we're paying for their Cold War Antics.

Also, I've considered hypersensitivity an American trait. Language, social events, physically, and so forth.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Your right. I've noticed a definite regional culture in places. It seems to be very prevalent in the south, but that might be because they have completely different accents and cuisine.

I mean, you hear the pundits arguing about national issues all the time, but a lot of what Congress does is argue over which the block grants and other money is apportioned to what states.

Also, I've considered hypersensitivity an American trait. Language, social events, physically, and so forth.

Could you explain this?

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
My dear Haphazard,

We all have two countries - our own and France.

And we all have two cultures - our own and American.

Victor.

How do the Australians act when they are in "American" mode?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think sports ideology permeates American culture with most every interaction formatted as competition either as teams (This vs. That) or finding who comes in Number 1, 2, and 3. This seems to be the case whether it is Coke vs. Pepsi or IBM vs. Mac, Republican vs. Democrat, etc. People get deeply invested and idealize their team and dismiss whatever is their opponent. It shapes the sense of reasoning and criticism.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Compare most European countries to the US. Most European countries will generally have pictures in newspapers that here would be considered "offensive". Also the general direction of the English Language following WWI.
George Carlin - Soft Language Video by Glenn - MySpace Video

Ah, see, when you said 'hypersensitivity' I thought you meant something else.

Well, I don't get it. Europe isn't the rest of the world. Though America seems like it's full of prudes to the Europeans, I heard that if you compare it to the whole world, it's pretty... average.

Also, you need to remember when things like 'wardrobe malfunctions' come up, it's usually a very small fraction of people complaining -- everyone else is groaning at that small fraction or making jokes of them.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I think sports ideology permeates American culture with most every interaction formatted as competition either as teams (This vs. That) or finding who comes in Number 1, 2, and 3. This seems to be the case whether it is Coke vs. Pepsi or IBM vs. Mac, Republican vs. Democrat, etc. People get deeply invested and idealize their team and dismiss whatever is their opponent. It shapes the sense of reasoning and criticism.

That is not uniquely American in the least.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That is not uniquely American in the least.
Agreed.

I don't think that comes from sports. That behavior seems to stem from the same place faith and loyalty to one's own side in war comes from.

I think sports evolved from warfare, not the other way around. In a sense, you might say that war is the oldest sport. A very bloody sport, but a sport nonetheless.

Mole

Permabanned
How do the Australians act when they are in "American" mode?

It's more that we understand and appreciate American popular culture, as does the rest of the world.

However in the presence of Americans we feel inferior.

We feel inferior because Americans express deference in a way that we interpret as dominance.

So quite wrongly we feel Americans are trying to dominate us. And so we feel inferior.

And the more Americans try to make us feel at home by exhibiting appropriate deference, the more we think they are trying to dominate us.

Unfortunately each of us show deference and dominance in different ways. So we can expect to misunderstand one another.

So understanding and appreciating popular culture in no way means we understand our deeper cultures.

Pristinegirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
The, "Economist", published a survey the other day of peoples who support their country.

Australia was top of the list followed by Canada and your neighbour Finland. The USA was quite a way down the list.

I have always thought American patriotism protests too much.

So THATS why all australians praise their country!! :)
See what I meant was that I am patriotic for the US even though I don't originate from there haha :smile:

Finland are NOT my neigbours!!! :cheese:

Pristinegirl

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Finland is not your neighbour? Why, you could practically ask them for a cup of sugar.

Yea Swedes haha, ask when they need, but don't return... :D
Geographically we are neighbours, but we have immensely grown apart.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
It's more that we understand and appreciate American popular culture, as does the rest of the world.

However in the presence of Americans we feel inferior.

We feel inferior because Americans express deference in a way that we interpret as dominance.

So quite wrongly we feel Americans are trying to dominate us. And so we feel inferior.

And the more Americans try to make us feel at home by exhibiting appropriate deference, the more we think they are trying to dominate us.

Unfortunately each of us show deference and dominance in different ways. So we can expect to misunderstand one another.

So understanding and appreciating popular culture in no way means we understand our deeper cultures.
I do not feel inferior in the presence of Americans. I never did.

My first American was a Texan. Time: August 1964. Place: London.
There was a shortage of hotel accomodation.
The agency said you can share, or you can live in the street.
I shared.

Texas was long an independent state.
They acquired land that was not their own. It belonged to the local people.
The locals were not allowed into the parks, recreational areas, hotels, pubs, restaurants.
Barbers' shops. Diners. Whatever. Forbidden territory.

The Texan in London talked of culture. He said London is great.
I said I have seen better.

Did I lie? I have a guilty conscience.
I call my priest.